How does IP overlap with your practice area? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
trmckenz

Bronze

How does IP overlap with your practice area?

Post by trmckenz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 pm

I am a 1L with a background in IP. I worked as a patent agent for four years before heading to law school. I am fortunate to have an SA with a firm that will give me some exposure to other practice areas too. I definitely lean transactional, but am pretty clueless what kinds of work I could even ask for.

I am certainly not the most technical electrical engineer in the world... new inventions are cool, but I really enjoy the business aspect of things more. I have done a decent amount of diligence for cross-border M&A, but only approaching it from the IP side.

I am hoping attorneys in other groups could shed some light as to how IP integrates into their practices... is there a place for an "IP guy" in another practice group? Where might an IP background be useful?

One obvious fit might be tech transactions. I'm unsure how that differs from a more general corporate practice. I am also interested in how IP and tax might intersect. Does restructuring work have IP components?

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”