2017 Macbook Pro for Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CR7

New

2017 Macbook Pro for Law School

Post by CR7 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm interested in buying the 2017 Macbook Pro for law school. However, I understand that the touch bar has caused it to be an issue with the bar exam (I will eventually take the New York bar). Is it better to buy the regular Macbook, rather than the Pro? Also, do law schools have similar restrictions for the Macbook Pro due to the touch bar?

Thanks!

haus

Gold

Re: 2017 Macbook Pro for Law School

Post by haus » Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 pm

The issue seems to be based on the concern that the exam software cannot fully control the functionality of the touch bar. There is a workaround, effectively disabling the touch bar.

http://support.examsoft.com/h/i/3234820 ... pro/259104

This will satisfy many organizations, but it is possible that some may be unwilling to go through the process of verification, and could opt to bar the laptop, yet at the same time, this will be a very popular laptop and continuing to ban it will create a fair bit of friction (the question becomes how willing is a school/bar association willing to upset test takers).

The safest choice would be to buy a model without the touch bar, such as the 13" MacBook Pro w/o the Touch Bar (or the MacBook).

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat May 27, 2017 8:33 pm

Yeah I'd recommend the earlier version of the pro. The internals are the same. And the older ones have USB ports.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun May 28, 2017 12:24 am

Just throwing it out there that if you haven't started law school yet, there is no way that they won't have come up with a workaround for this by the time you take the bar in 3+ years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”