Taking a break before law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LawSchoolTitan

New

Taking a break before law school?

Post by LawSchoolTitan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Kind of early in the cycle, but I have already secure a couple T-14 acceptances with decent enough money for me to be comfortable that I'll be attending somewhere next year. Currently working, but consulting life is tough hours, constant traveling and I feel like I wanna take a break before school starts, go travel and do some fun stuff.

I have a lot saved up so the money is not huge to me, but I was wondering if leaving at the end of March/April and having that gap on my resume looks bad to recruiters/firms during law school? Or am I being super critical?

zot1

Gold

Re: Taking a break before law school?

Post by zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:38 pm

No one will care. Travel and have fun.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:27 am

LawSchoolTitan wrote:Kind of early in the cycle, but I have already secure a couple T-14 acceptances with decent enough money for me to be comfortable that I'll be attending somewhere next year. Currently working, but consulting life is tough hours, constant traveling and I feel like I wanna take a break before school starts, go travel and do some fun stuff.

I have a lot saved up so the money is not huge to me, but I was wondering if leaving at the end of March/April and having that gap on my resume looks bad to recruiters/firms during law school? Or am I being super critical?
No one cares about a three/four month gap before law school. No recruiter would bat an eye.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:11 pm

Many of your classmates will have zero work experience, so it won't matter. I left my job the week of Memorial day, traveled for 2 months, and settled into my law school city a few weeks early, so I could focus on classes once school started. Now, I had worked at that job for a few years, so if you have like 2 or 3 jobs on your resume where you only worked there for less than a year, maybe a small red flag. But your first legal job will be based 90% on grades.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Travel as long as you can/want. Would be utterly shocked if someone held it against you. If anything, it might give you some interesting stories for networking.

zerato5

Bronze

Post by zerato5 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:16 pm

I cant speak to this directly, but from what everyone usually posts, not only will they not care, but if you travel somewhere interesting it may be helpful in future interviews or casual conversation (don't be that guy that always brings up his time in Amsterdam though). Schools and employers want to see someone mature.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”