Paralegal question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CoGar

New

Paralegal question

Post by CoGar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Thinking of taking a 2 year gap between undergad and LS to move to NYC and work. I'm curious to know what the demographics are like for Big Law paralegals in the city? Future Law Students? Older women? Male/Female? Thanks a lot for any input you may have.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Paralegal question

Post by Lincoln » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:10 pm

At my big firm it was about 50/50 men/women. My firm hired almost exclusively straight out of college. Most paralegals ended up going to law school, but a minority stayed and became "career paralegals" or went on to other careers.

Hennessy

Gold

Re: Paralegal question

Post by Hennessy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:39 pm

NYC Biglawl paralegal here:
  • Echoing above, 50/50 split between men/women. 75/25 split between college grads/lifers. Pretty LGBTQ friendly. New York natives seem to get hiring preference. Lots of people say they are interested in law school, but it doesn't pan out for them. Maybe 15% actually leave to go to law school?
  • Pay is pretty decent for most biglaw admins, our slightly below avg. It's a big range depending on what you do. (~45-60)
  • Culture is pretty calm.
  • Firm parties are where you expect to drink top-shelf liquor and mingle with associates. Fun.
  • Expect to work long hours. I know plenty who get in at 10am and are calling car service at midnight. The hours can really get to you, especially when you gotta commute to BX or BK, because (sadly) the salary doesn't cut it in Manhattan.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”