Do you know MidLaw salaries? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jstanhope14

New

Do you know MidLaw salaries?

Post by jstanhope14 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:37 pm

Specifically, what would you estimate the partner salary to be at a firm that meets to following criteria:

Main Location: New England, small city, not a first or secondary market.
Size: 101+ attorneys spread over a few different offices
Partner track: 7-8 years
Starting associate salary: $80k

I heard partners at these type of firms generally pull in 300k+. Is this a decent ballpark estimate or is it way off?

Thanks.

nealric

Re: Do you know MidLaw salaries?

Post by nealric » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 am

jstanhope14 wrote:Specifically, what would you estimate the partner salary to be at a firm that meets to following criteria:

Main Location: New England, small city, not a first or secondary market.
Size: 101+ attorneys spread over a few different offices
Partner track: 7-8 years
Starting associate salary: $80k

I heard partners at these type of firms generally pull in 300k+. Is this a decent ballpark estimate or is it way off?

Thanks.
There's likely a huge spread between partner comp at a firm like this. Wouldn't be surprised to hear it ranges from under $200k for a new partner without much of a book to $2m+ for the named/founding partner and/or top rainmaker. Comp will also depend on their practice area and leverage. How many partners per associate?

Toni V

Bronze

Re: Do you know MidLaw salaries?

Post by Toni V » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 am

I have a couple friends in large markets working at mid-law/boutique firms (i.e. 50 lawyers) earning roughly $100k. Mainly because these firms have to compete for the higher ranked law schools grads (grads not picked up by a bigger firm). I suppose it looks good for the firm to have lawyers from highly respected schools (even though the grads were at the bottom of their class).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”