How can i join paralegal associations? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yeah

New

How can i join paralegal associations?

Post by yeah » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:14 am

I am law student in Europe who moved to US and now i need to get employed in paralegal association just dont know how to join them how log its gonna take will that play a role for getting to law school etc?

cavalier1138

Re: How can i join paralegal associations?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:33 am

Nothing about this situation makes sense. Are you not planning on completing your legal education in Europe? Why do you want to be a paralegal?

yeah

New

Post by yeah » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Nothing about this situation makes sense. Are you not planning on completing your legal education in Europe? Why do you want to be a paralegal?
yes i do plan on completing it but i need to know ehat are my chances on getting hired as a paralegal as long as i am in us with my half legal education from there?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Just from what I've read here, I don't think having half your legal education done will make any difference to getting hired as a paralegal. It might make employers worry you're going to leave to finish your law degree.

I also don't think you have to be a member of any paralegal association to get a job as a paralegal. Some people have certificates/degrees but plenty of people get hired as paralegals without them.

If you're talking about whether working as a paralegal will help you get into a US law school - it's pretty neutral. Your GPA and LSAT score are by far the most important things. (And if your undergrad GPA is European it doesn't transfer directly and your LSAT score takes on even greater importance).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm still confused about your ultimate goals. Are you planning on coming to the US for an LLM after you finish your law degree in Europe?

If that's the case, then no, paralegal work will not help you at all. You'll want to focus on practicing as a lawyer in your home country before you pursue an LLM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yeah

New

Post by yeah » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:54 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm still confused about your ultimate goals. Are you planning on coming to the US for an LLM after you finish your law degree in Europe?

If that's the case, then no, paralegal work will not help you at all. You'll want to focus on practicing as a lawyer in your home country before you pursue an LLM.
I am planning to come to US for a JD after I finish my studies in EU. I just want to habe some legal experience work and paralegal is my favourite.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:40 pm

yeah wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I'm still confused about your ultimate goals. Are you planning on coming to the US for an LLM after you finish your law degree in Europe?

I am planning to come to US for a JD after I finish my studies in EU. I just want to habe some legal experience work and paralegal is my favourite.
Why are you planning to come here for a JD if you'll already have a legal degree in Europe? And why would you work as a paralegal for your legal experience once you are able to practice as a lawyer?

You may want to talk with some European lawyers, because this is absolutely not how most people go about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”