Does having a 6 month internship in United Nations play any role in getting to Law School and in getting employed? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yeah

New

Does having a 6 month internship in United Nations play any role in getting to Law School and in getting employed?

Post by yeah » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:51 am

I mean does it really worth it if u want to pursue Intl law later?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Does having a 6 month internship in United Nations play any role in getting to Law School and in getting employed?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:54 am

Depends what you make of it. It's not going to guarantee you anything but it's not going to hurt.

yeah

New

Re: Does having a 6 month internship in United Nations play any role in getting to Law School and in getting employed?

Post by yeah » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Depends what you make of it. It's not going to guarantee you anything but it's not going to hurt.
I know an internship doesnt guarantee you anything but does it.make your resume look good and as such, does it increase your chance of getting hired in a legal career over someobe who didnt do one?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:33 pm

for admissions purposes, it is negligible compared to LSAT/GPA. for employment purposes, it's negligible compared to grades/school prestige.

it'd be is a good talking point once you get an interview but your grades/school get you that interview to begin with.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:37 pm

pancakes3 wrote:for admissions purposes, it is negligible compared to LSAT/GPA. for employment purposes, it's negligible compared to grades/school prestige.

it'd be is a good talking point once you get an interview but your grades/school get you that interview to begin with.
/thread

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:09 pm

Eh, I think experience is also pretty important for something like high-level PI international law. But I don't think a 6-month prelaw internship is going to move the needle much. Better than someone who has no other international law experience, but that's probably not going to be who you're really competing with. And again, it depends on what you make of that experience. Maybe you'll make a connection with someone who can get you later jobs. Maybe you're one of a mass of indistinguishable interns.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:22 pm

What kind of intl law? If you're thinking corporate intl law, it's just biglaw but with intl clients. If you want like, ~international law~ (human rights! environment things! international relations!), that's politics and you should gun for Secretary of State or go be a diplomat. Maybe be on a Congressional committee that deals with international affairs (idk what it's called). White House counsel? The only things that will matter will be things that can get you political connections.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Foreign Affairs/Relations Committee is what it's called depending on the chamber.

I've always thought the Foreign Service would be cool. I figured I wouldn't have enough money to donate and become an ambassador, but maybe I could work my way up? Seems that about half of ambassadors from the US are career foreign service officers.

I imagine for law school that the internship is better than nothing, but it isn't going to really help you too much either. For employment, I would guess the same. If you worked there as an actual employee, that would be a different story for employment I imagine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”