Non JD job at V50 after undergrad before LS.. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CoGar

New

Non JD job at V50 after undergrad before LS..

Post by CoGar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:29 am

Hey everyone,

Just curious how common it is to get a job being an assistant/researcher/entry level position for a large NYC firm after undergrad for a year before law school. Do you need to now someone to get in ( I have some family in NYC Biglaw but don't necessarily want to use them as a crutch)? Can one just apply through the HR department? I'll have my LSAT score and a dual degree but want to take a year off before jumping back into school...also want to move to a large market. I'm still in the very beginning stages of this decision, as its just a thought right now so please throw any advice both positive and negative my way (this should be no problem for most of TLS I assume)

Any advice would be extremely helpful,

Thanks

ND2018

New

Re: Non JD job at V50 after undergrad before LS..

Post by ND2018 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:00 pm

CoGar wrote:Hey everyone,

Just curious how common it is to get a job being an assistant/researcher/entry level position for a large NYC firm after undergrad for a year before law school. Do you need to now someone to get in ( I have some family in NYC Biglaw but don't necessarily want to use them as a crutch)? Can one just apply through the HR department? I'll have my LSAT score and a dual degree but want to take a year off before jumping back into school...also want to move to a large market. I'm still in the very beginning stages of this decision, as its just a thought right now so please throw any advice both positive and negative my way (this should be no problem for most of TLS I assume)

Thanks
I have several friends who did this. My advice would be to do something better/more interesting with your time before law school.

However, If you are so inclined you can simply apply for most firms through the "careers" tab on the firms website.

CoGar

New

Post by CoGar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:20 pm

ND2018 wrote:
I have several friends who did this. My advice would be to do something better/more interesting with your time before law school.

However, If you are so inclined you can simply apply for most firms through the "careers" tab on the firms website.
Awesome, thank you. Also I dont know if your the best person to ask but ill throw it out there: What are some jobs that law schools might want to see that they wouldnt think, "awh this guy just bummed around for a year (ie; bartender, barista)? Or does it not matter as long as you have the LSAT score and relevant average-to-above average undergrad softs.

ND2018

New

Post by ND2018 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:37 pm

CoGar wrote:
ND2018 wrote:

Awesome, thank you. Also I dont know if your the best person to ask but ill throw it out there: What are some jobs that law schools might want to see that they wouldnt think, "awh this guy just bummed around for a year (ie; bartender, barista)? Or does it not matter as long as you have the LSAT score and relevant average-to-above average undergrad softs.
You're right. I am not the best person to give advice on this subject as I am currently going through the OCI process. However, I would say if you are really only taking a year off, It is going to be difficult to gain valuable experience that firms will look favorably on--though one year programs like Teach for America do come to mind.

Honestly, I would recommend pursuing like an actual job that you would consider working for longer than a year in. That is the kind of experience that law firms like, and would certainly benefit you. At the same time you would be able to experience and consider another career path outside of the law that you never knew you were interested in. I'm a KJD, many people I know are both KJD's and I think most of us agree that while we were ultimately happy with our decision, we wish we took some time off.

Tl;DR don't work some job that is just going to funnel you further down the law school pipe. Get some perspective on things and come back to it, If you do decide to go back your experience will serve you well. Like I said previously nothing you can do in a year--short of serious community service work--is going to benefit you that much for legal hiring purposes.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Firms are unlikely to hire you if you are transparent about it being only a year - most want a 2 year commitment or at least a reasonable expectation you will make it two years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:00 pm

2014 wrote:Firms are unlikely to hire you if you are transparent about it being only a year - most want a 2 year commitment or at least a reasonable expectation you will make it two years.
+1

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:51 pm

CoGar wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks
Personally, I would lose this mentality going forward. When you need a job, you need a job. Use any and all resources you have in order to get one.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:48 pm

Most of the legal assistants at my formal NYC firm were aspiring law students who eventually move on to law school in a year or two. The firm understands this and the LAs don't really hide it. It's actually the norm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”