Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mukol

Bronze

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Post by mukol » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:12 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
BoobGoddess wrote:I can't say that I dislike my school. I don't. I really love it. I go to a top 20 in the deep south.

That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time. Some of my international friends feel they are constantly having to prove themselves because the Prof. puts their English speaking skills constantly on trial. I've witnessed it firsthand and feel really bad for them. It's a shame, but there are bad apples anywhere you go.
Is Texas or TN the deep south? Otherwise, what school are you referring to?
Maybe UNC or Vanderbilt?
UNC isn't top 20, and Vanderbilt isn't in the "deep South" unless you'e never been anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line before.
Yeah, if it isn't south of I-10 it ain't deep south. Did anyone suggest Emory yet? Not deep south but ATL is close.

LandMermaid

Bronze

Post by LandMermaid » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:38 am

mukol wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
BoobGoddess wrote:I can't say that I dislike my school. I don't. I really love it. I go to a top 20 in the deep south.

That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time. Some of my international friends feel they are constantly having to prove themselves because the Prof. puts their English speaking skills constantly on trial. I've witnessed it firsthand and feel really bad for them. It's a shame, but there are bad apples anywhere you go.
Maybe UNC or Vanderbilt?
UNC isn't top 20, and Vanderbilt isn't in the "deep South" unless you'e never been anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line before.
Yeah, if it isn't south of I-10 it ain't deep south. Did anyone suggest Emory yet? Not deep south but ATL is close.
Based on a previous thread I actually think they may be referring to UT...Which would be kinda weird.

mukol

Bronze

Post by mukol » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:47 am

LandMermaid wrote:
Based on a previous thread I actually think they may be referring to UT...Which would be kinda weird.
Texas?!?!?! Hahahahaha Texas is not the deep south. Texas is not the south. Texas is Texas.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:02 am

mukol wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:
Texas?!?!?! Hahahahaha Texas is not the deep south. Texas is not the south. Texas is Texas.
And Austin is barely even Texas.

BoobGoddess

New

Post by BoobGoddess » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:08 am

At the school I go to, it can be a coin toss in terms of how profs treat foreign or foreign looking students. Some professors are really sweet to all students and very respectful.

But I have been in classes where the prof. was just not receptive at all to what LLM/foreign/foreign looking students were trying to get at, even though I thought they had a cool point to make or just flat out would not call on foreign students (participation points is a thing so if the prof simply doesn't call on you it can be hard to do well).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:13 pm

mukol wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:

Maybe UNC or Vanderbilt?
Emory is probably your best bet. There's just no way somebody would consider Vandy/Texas/Duke to be deep south. I'm gonna go bold with my prediction and say Bama, just outside the Top 20.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:

Maybe UNC or Vanderbilt?
UNC isn't top 20, and Vanderbilt isn't in the "deep South" unless you've never been anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line before.
I know, that's why I'm genuinely curious as to what school BoobGoddess is referring to.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:

Maybe UNC or Vanderbilt?
UNC isn't top 20, and Vanderbilt isn't in the "deep South" unless you've never been anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line before.
People are constantly asking me what it's like to live deep down south in Virginia, so I wouldn't be surprised if they think Nashville is the "deep South."

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:04 pm

This post is all over the place :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

silverdoe91

Bronze

Post by silverdoe91 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:00 pm

brinicolec wrote:This post is all over the place :shock:
Yeah, I really wish people would stick to the topic bc the question is a really good one.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 pm

silverdoe91 wrote:
Yeah, I really wish people would stick to the topic bc the question is a really good one.
It's almost as good as the, "Is Cornell as good as NYLS" nonsense you started.

MyNameIsntJames

Bronze

Post by MyNameIsntJames » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Unfathomableruckus wrote:
Chad_IRL wrote:
Did you just assume Boob Goddess' gender?
Yeah, a man named "Boob Goddess" is complaining of sexist comments at his law school in the south. Let's go with that. I'm sure that's correct.
FYFY not all feminists are women

Men don't typically face sexism so I think that's where the deduction came from.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:03 pm

MyNameIsntJames wrote:
Chad_IRL wrote:
Yeah, a man named "Boob Goddess" is complaining of sexist comments at his law school in the south. Let's go with that. I'm sure that's correct.

Men don't typically face sexism so I think that's where the deduction came from.
Speak for yourself

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:14 pm

poptart123 wrote: Speak for yourself
Wait, don't tell me.

You were passed over for a promotion/job/scholarship, and it went to a LADY. And we all know the only reason that could happen is reverse sexism. The trouble is that nice guys just can't get ahead, and women need to stop playing the victim. Men have their rights trampled on every day, but do we complain? And the wage gap is a myth perpetuated by the liberal media.

Am I close?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:05 pm

poptart123 wrote:
MyNameIsntJames wrote:
Chad_IRL wrote:

Speak for yourself
... Hoooow diiiid we get hereeee?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 am

Sounds like the original commenters were kidding, but goddess is a female noun like miss or waitress. Whether or not the person is female, they clearly want to identify as female. In regards to the original question, no school is better off having professors who pick on females and foreigners. There's no way it could provide any benefit. It sounds like you've just encountered a bad apple.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 am

Yeah, I pretty much hate everyone in this thread. And no one's discussing the actual question, which is an interesting one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:15 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
poptart123 wrote: Speak for yourself
Wait, don't tell me.

You were passed over for a promotion/job/scholarship, and it went to a LADY. And we all know the only reason that could happen is reverse sexism. The trouble is that nice guys just can't get ahead, and women need to stop playing the victim. Men have their rights trampled on every day, but do we complain? And the wage gap is a myth perpetuated by the liberal media.

Am I close?
No

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:50 am

HonestAdvice wrote:Sounds like the original commenters were kidding, but goddess is a female noun like miss or waitress. Whether or not the person is female, they clearly want to identify as female. In regards to the original question, no school is better off having professors who pick on females and foreigners. There's no way it could provide any benefit. It sounds like you've just encountered a bad apple.
Wait, what original question?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:51 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
Yeah, I pretty much hate everyone in this thread. And no one's discussing the actual question, which is an interesting one.
Yeah I was just trying to get A View from the Other Side. I know there's gotta be people on here who don't like their school!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 am

The answer is yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:27 pm

brinicolec wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:Sounds like the original commenters were kidding, but goddess is a female noun like miss or waitress. Whether or not the person is female, they clearly want to identify as female. In regards to the original question, no school is better off having professors who pick on females and foreigners. There's no way it could provide any benefit. It sounds like you've just encountered a bad apple.
Wait, what original question?
The professor being an asshole. I think it's possible that people might feel isolated in one law school but would not in another. It's difficult to describe an example that wouldn't derail into chaos, but more generally if someone is comfortable in a specific environment than they might prefer a culture that is more like their choice environment. At the risk of being called an asshole, a student from a working class upbringing who fits into Yale probably has a certain set of characteristics than one who doesn't fit in does not.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 pm

mukol wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:

Tell that to its "lone star" on the confederate flag.

courtneylove

Bronze

Post by courtneylove » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:00 pm

I strongly disliked my law school and regret choosing prestige over $$$/good weather. I think the worst part was my classmates; I didn't have anything in common with them, and had a hard time making friends. A few years out of law school, I am not in touch with anyone from my class other than exchanging the occasional facebook comment. Maybe the school I went to wasn't a good fit for me and I should have paid more attention to that when I visited. I bonded easily with law students I met at my summer jobs and jobs I had after graduating; most of the law-related friends I've made went to lower-ranked schools, which is why I partly blame the prestige of the school I went to for the weirdness of my classmates.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 am

courtneylove wrote:I strongly disliked my law school and regret choosing prestige over $$$/good weather. I think the worst part was my classmates; I didn't have anything in common with them, and had a hard time making friends. A few years out of law school, I am not in touch with anyone from my class other than exchanging the occasional facebook comment. Maybe the school I went to wasn't a good fit for me and I should have paid more attention to that when I visited. I bonded easily with law students I met at my summer jobs and jobs I had after graduating; most of the law-related friends I've made went to lower-ranked schools, which is why I partly blame the prestige of the school I went to for the weirdness of my classmates.
Since you mentioned your visit, what would you have done differently/paid more attention to? I'm currently in the stage of looking at campuses but since I haven't applied/been accepted yet, I've just been going to get a general feel. It's also a really awkward time to be going since its early-August lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”