Seeking Legal Employment before 1L? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mist4bison

Gold

Seeking Legal Employment before 1L?

Post by mist4bison » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:52 am

I'm currently a paralegal at a biglaw firm. I've been here two years and legitimately think I have a chance to summer here next year, but am not sure how to go about it.

I understand that I sound like I have a huge ego, but I feel like I've been pretty lucky at this firm and was able to make the right connections very early on. Over my two years here, I have been given more and more substantive work--work my partner's hand to me over 1st and occasionally even 2nd years. This is work they have deemed (I quote from my recent review) "associate level work." I work closely with mainly partners and one of the partners (soon to be head of litigation) asked me to defer law school a year in order to continue working on an upcoming trial. (I declined, he understood). Our firm also recently hired a 1L as a summer associate, so I know it's not impossible.

My question is...how do I go about bringing this up? Should I? Is it better to wait until OCI, or is it okay to talk to one of my partners now? How exactly does that talk go? I know there are rules about reaching out to firms before a certain date; do those rules apply before I even start law school?

Basically, I'd really love guidance and advice on how I can best use this situation to my advantage. Thanks!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Re: Seeking Legal Employment before 1L?

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:00 pm

mist4bison wrote:I'm currently a paralegal at a biglaw firm. I've been here two years and legitimately think I have a chance to summer here next year, but am not sure how to go about it.

I understand that I sound like I have a huge ego, but I feel like I've been pretty lucky at this firm and was able to make the right connections very early on. Over my two years here, I have been given more and more substantive work--work my partner's hand to me over 1st and occasionally even 2nd years. This is work they have deemed (I quote from my recent review) "associate level work." I work closely with mainly partners and one of the partners (soon to be head of litigation) asked me to defer law school a year in order to continue working on an upcoming trial. (I declined, he understood). Our firm also recently hired a 1L as a summer associate, so I know it's not impossible.

My question is...how do I go about bringing this up? Should I? Is it better to wait until OCI, or is it okay to talk to one of my partners now? How exactly does that talk go? I know there are rules about reaching out to firms before a certain date; do those rules apply before I even start law school?

Basically, I'd really love guidance and advice on how I can best use this situation to my advantage. Thanks!
What I'd do...set up an informational interview for "lunch." Say you want to discuss the partner's experience in law school before you send off. In the lunch, casually throw in what firms like X look for in summer associates and kind of what the process is to to apply to a firm like X. Play dumb, you might know from here how OCI generally works etc..., but they probably won't think you do. Ask about OCI, ask what 1L's do during the summer etc... Ask about classes. Mention a lot that you really enjoy/enjoyed working there as well.

You're in a good place if this partner will vouch for you. Get good grades and maybe after the first semester (or Dec. 1) drop the partner a line that you are looking for summer employment and if he has any advice. If you don't get hired 1L year don't get discouraged. 1L SA's are difficult to get.

mist4bison

Gold

Re: Seeking Legal Employment before 1L?

Post by mist4bison » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:04 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:
mist4bison wrote:I'm currently a paralegal at a biglaw firm. I've been here two years and legitimately think I have a chance to summer here next year, but am not sure how to go about it.

What I'd do...set up an informational interview for "lunch." Say you want to discuss the partner's experience in law school before you send off. In the lunch, casually throw in what firms like X look for in summer associates and kind of what the process is to to apply to a firm like X. Play dumb, you might know from here how OCI generally works etc..., but they probably won't think you do. Ask about OCI, ask what 1L's do during the summer etc... Ask about classes. Mention a lot that you really enjoy/enjoyed working there as well.

You're in a good place if this partner will vouch for you. Get good grades and maybe after the first semester (or Dec. 1) drop the partner a line that you are looking for summer employment and if he has any advice. If you don't get hired 1L year don't get discouraged. 1L SA's are difficult to get.
Thanks so much for the advice! I think this sounds like a pretty solid plan. I'll probably let him bring up the lunch, because I know he will. Good call on talking about it there, though. Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”