University of New Mexico students/alums? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SaulGoodmansEvilTwin

New

University of New Mexico students/alums?

Post by SaulGoodmansEvilTwin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:21 am

I've been accepted to UNM law, and I can't seem to find much on it in the archives. Anyone who is/was attending interested in sharing some thoughts?

From what I gather, the school itself has a reasonably good reputation as law schools go. Bar passage and employment rates are decent, and of course the in-state tuition is one of the lowest in the country. Seems UNM grads have a pretty tight lock on jobs in New Mexico.

eagle2a

Bronze

Re: University of New Mexico students/alums?

Post by eagle2a » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:38 am

not a student or alum but I wouldn't go unless you're from NM

SaulGoodmansEvilTwin

New

Post by SaulGoodmansEvilTwin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:28 pm

I'm from New Mexico.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:42 pm

I know NM is now a UBE state and that there was some pushback from the legal community. However, this is a sign that the community is opening up. The nice thing for a UNM student is that you will take a bar that will allow you to apply to jobs in CO, ARIZONA, UTAH, and WYOMING, not to mention other mountain states further away. If you are from New Mexico and want to practice in this area, UNM is probably you're best bet.

SaulGoodmansEvilTwin

New

Post by SaulGoodmansEvilTwin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Lord Randolph,

Yes, I'm looking at getting on the bar in Arizona (I have family business interests there).

My father (deceased) came to NM in the late 90s to work as an assistant DA in a small town. He graduated from Loyola New Orleans in the 70s, and had practiced in Arizona.

Although what little I have read says that UNM grads dominate the job market in New Mexico, from my understanding of my dad's work, outside ABQ and Santa Fe, this mostly rural state can't be picky when it comes to lawyers (although the salaries aren't great). If you are on the bar, and you will accept the salary, it seems like they will hire you.

I'm actually more interested in hearing about the experience of attending UNM law, but it seems that they aren't reading TLS :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”