I failed a class.. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LegalEagle111

New

I failed a class..

Post by LegalEagle111 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:46 pm

I just finished my first semester of law school and was shocked to find out that I failed a class. I've only received a grade for that course so far but now I'm even more terrified to receive the rest of my grades. The class I failed was the one that I actually enjoyed the most. I have so much regret/self hate for screwing up badly from the start. I've never failed a class in my life! I've realized that law school will take more discipline and handwork than I thought. I'm having trouble getting over the failure. I guess my questions are:

Is it at all "normal" to fail a class?
any advice on when to retake that class? sooner rather than later?

any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

JDanger007

New

Re: I failed a class..

Post by JDanger007 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Taking the very optimistic approach here... Look it happens, I think it is better to fail it now, then fail the section entirely for the bar, or have a huge lack of understanding while preparing. It is surely a huge defeat to your confidence I am sure, but just take it as a learning tool, and you will come back next semester and crush it! Do not be embarrassed, I am sure it happens to people, you just wont ever know it. I would just take it in a time where you won't know many people, heck maybe you find a friend who didn't do so hot either!
Hang in there. Law school is challenging.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 pm

LegalEagle111 wrote:I just finished my first semester of law school and was shocked to find out that I failed a class. I've only received a grade for that course so far but now I'm even more terrified to receive the rest of my grades. The class I failed was the one that I actually enjoyed the most. I have so much regret/self hate for screwing up badly from the start. I've never failed a class in my life! I've realized that law school will take more discipline and handwork than I thought. I'm having trouble getting over the failure. I guess my questions are:

It is not the "norm" to fail a class (if by that you mean D or F). What school do you go to?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue May 10, 2016 6:51 pm

is this flame? there's nothing to be done at this point but wait for grades. without knowing your financial or personal background, it's likely that you should drop out.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Tue May 10, 2016 6:53 pm

If you are just now done with your first semester that means you started during the Spring semester? Normally, I would say no reputable schools let you fail out, but no reputable schools let you start during Spring semester either. So, story checks out?

Sorry buddy, but the lack of dedication you showed during your first semester is likely the same lack of dedication you had for the LSAT. So my sincere recommendation is either drop out and retake the LSAT, or drop out and do something else with your life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue May 10, 2016 6:56 pm

if you're at a law school that fails students its probably not worth going to in the first place

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Tue May 10, 2016 7:02 pm

LegalEagle111 wrote:I just finished my first semester of law school and was shocked to find out that I failed a class. I've only received a grade for that course so far but now I'm even more terrified to receive the rest of my grades. The class I failed was the one that I actually enjoyed the most. I have so much regret/self hate for screwing up badly from the start. I've never failed a class in my life! I've realized that law school will take more discipline and handwork than I thought. I'm having trouble getting over the failure. I guess my questions are:

Looking at OP's posts, sounds like he might go to Baylor or SMU? I'm guessing maybe Baylor because they're known for using an A to F curve? (Which seems so unnecessary). It sounds like failing might not be too uncommon there - I would talk to someone at the school, or some 2Ls/3Ls for advice. Doubt a lot of people on here are going to be too helpful because not a lot of us went to schools that actually fail people (seriously like WTF Baylor).

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Tue May 10, 2016 7:05 pm

Law schools failing students? Why is this even reality? :shock:

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue May 10, 2016 7:35 pm

GoneSouth wrote:

Looking at OP's posts, sounds like he might go to Baylor or SMU? I'm guessing maybe Baylor because they're known for using an A to F curve? (Which seems so unnecessary). It sounds like failing might not be too uncommon there - I would talk to someone at the school, or some 2Ls/3Ls for advice. Doubt a lot of people on here are going to be too helpful because not a lot of us went to schools that actually fail people (seriously like WTF Baylor).
Excuse me Baylor is a highly rigorous institution. Plebs wouldn't understand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Tue May 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Failing students all but guarantees they will drop-out (and take their loan money with them), so schools almost never do it.

What kind of exam was it? If it was an essay, you probably misread the prompt.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue May 10, 2016 7:49 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Failing students all but guarantees they will drop-out (and take their loan money with them), so schools almost never do it.

What kind of exam was it? If it was an essay, you probably misread the prompt.
nobody fails for that

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Tue May 10, 2016 7:51 pm

I don't know everything about your situation, but your best option is almost certainly to drop out.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 10, 2016 8:14 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Failing students all but guarantees they will drop-out (and take their loan money with them), so schools almost never do it.
Actually, no. At some TTT and TTTT schools, the schools routinely fail a certain percentage of students at the bottom of the curve. I always assumed this was for accreditation reasons. If you let too many sub-par students graduate, then your bar passage rate drops so low that the ABA will yank its approval. But it works out great for the school, because they still get a full year's tuition without taking the bar-passage-rate hit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:21 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Actually, no. At some TTT and TTTT schools, the schools routinely fail a certain percentage of students at the bottom of the curve. I always assumed this was for accreditation reasons. If you let too many sub-par students graduate, then your bar passage rate drops so low that the ABA will yank its approval. But it works out great for the school, because they still get a full year's tuition without taking the bar-passage-rate hit.
:shock:

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Tue May 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Looking through OP's old posts, it looks like not preparing for exams is a pattern. I'm not sure if OP has a scholarship to Baylor/if there would be any chance of keeping it after failing. Dropping out might be the best option, considering OP doesn't appear to understand the importance of preparing for exams and the potential cost of finishing school is likely pretty high.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Mr. Archer wrote:Looking through OP's old posts, it looks like not preparing for exams is a pattern. I'm not sure if OP has a scholarship to Baylor/if there would be any chance of keeping it after failing. Dropping out might be the best option, considering OP doesn't appear to understand the importance of preparing for exams and the potential cost of finishing school is likely pretty high.
You seem to be correct.
LegalEagle111 wrote:I'll graduate from Texas A&M this May with a 3.85 GPA in Political Science; however, I'll have between a 3.5-3.6 overall. I've taken the LSAT twice... the first time while I was abroad (152) and the second the september after I returned from begin abroad (153) I don't really think that I prepped as hard as I could've but at the same time I think that I may just not be the best test taker... I think that the rest of my app was pretty strong...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue May 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Drop out. Please listen this time instead of ignoring everyone's advice to retake and not attend Baylor at sticker or near-sticker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 pm

OP if you failed a class in law school, and you don't have a guaranteed job for after graduation (like your going to go work for your Dad or Uncle or something, 100% guaranteed) then I would suggest dropping out now rather than spend two more years of tuition. IDK what the latest you can drop out and then do 1L over again somewhere else is, but if that is still a possibility that sounds like your best bet (drop out, retake LSAT and attend somewhere with $)

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Tue May 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Br3v wrote:IDK what the latest you can drop out and then do 1L over again somewhere else is, but if that is still a possibility that sounds like your best bet (drop out, retake LSAT and attend somewhere with $)
Br3v, is this permitted by LSAC/ABA? Can you drop out and then re-enroll somewhere after retaking?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue May 10, 2016 9:40 pm

WhyYaCryin wrote:
Br3v wrote:IDK what the latest you can drop out and then do 1L over again somewhere else is, but if that is still a possibility that sounds like your best bet (drop out, retake LSAT and attend somewhere with $)
Br3v, is this permitted by LSAC/ABA? Can you drop out and then re-enroll somewhere after retaking?
I believe you can but you have to disclose your prior law school attendance and grades when you apply, which here, might kill OP's chances to go anywhere respectable.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue May 10, 2016 9:47 pm

There is essentially no scenario where you should not drop out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue May 10, 2016 9:49 pm

WhyYaCryin wrote:
I know in some instances you can, though I'm not sure if it has to be for medical reasons or some other limitation.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Tue May 10, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm sure OP will "hustle" his way into a job. Just like he thought he would "hustle" his way to the top of the class to make up for paying sticker.
:roll:

gamerish

Gold

Post by gamerish » Tue May 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Is this an eagle2a alt

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:27 am

Is there a way to compile the OP's threads (or rather the highlights) into a single cautionary tale thread?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”