Does Your Car Matter? (Biglaw) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nebby

Diamond

Re: Does Your Car Matter? (Biglaw)

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:53 am

Questions only an inept person asks:
"Is McDonald's good for me?"
"Should I spend money on a car just to impress my biglaw colleagues?"
"Should I put this banana in my bum?"

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:40 pm

OP I hope you plan to wear tie clips made of rare metals only, not that cheap gold-plates nonsense. People can tell and will certainly care.

Serett

Post by Serett » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Raised lettering. Pale nimbus. White.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:02 pm

kalvano wrote:Don't get an A3, it's crap compared to the A4.
:roll:

To the OP: No, not really. In NYC, most associates (heck, even most partners) don't have a car. Unless it's something totally outrageous, it's unlikely anybody will ever know what car you drive.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Definitely not necessary. But if thats how you want to spend your money, then go for it. But don't do it to impress biglaw colleagues. I personally am going to be buying a basic car and instead saving money for some amazing vacations (experiences, to me, are far more invaluable than any items). But thats just me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rabiz59

New

Post by Rabiz59 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:19 am

I know it may seem like a silly question to ask, but that's because I'm talking to a group of people (this forum) who actually know that what you drive doesn't actually matter. A car is a terrible investment; most everybody knows this rationally.

However, there is a very real aspect to life that needs to be taken into account: image matters. It's a gut response. And even if you personally are not affected by what other people project (which is highly unlikely, as we all share the same faulty animal brain), I would say that MOST people ARE affected.

Seriously, all else being equal, who do you think most Americans would hire: the lawyer driving a new BMW, or the lawyer driving a 30-year old Daewoo? Perception matters.

My only question was to what extent it matters in Biglaw. It seems like it doesn't matter much, and that's great, and that's the response I was looking for.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 am

Rabiz59 wrote: However, there is a very real aspect to life that needs to be taken into account: image matters. It's a gut response. And even if you personally are not affected by what other people project (which is highly unlikely, as we all share the same faulty animal brain), I would say that MOST people ARE affected.

Seriously, all else being equal, who do you think most Americans would hire: the lawyer driving a new BMW, or the lawyer driving a 30-year old Daewoo? Perception matters.
I think some of the ribbing you're getting is because it should have been obvious to you out of the gate that your opportunities to impress potential clients with your car as a biglaw SA (or a junior associate) are going to be few and far between, if it happens at all.

You need something that will reliably get you to and from work - that's all. Bonus points if it's not outright visually offensive.

Rabiz59

New

Post by Rabiz59 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Rabiz59 wrote: However, there is a very real aspect to life that needs to be taken into account: image matters. It's a gut response. And even if you personally are not affected by what other people project (which is highly unlikely, as we all share the same faulty animal brain), I would say that MOST people ARE affected.

I think some of the ribbing you're getting is because it should have been obvious to you out of the gate that your opportunities to impress potential clients with your car as a biglaw SA (or a junior associate) are going to be few and far between, if it happens at all.

You need something that will reliably get you to and from work - that's all. Bonus points if it's not outright visually offensive.
Thanks! This seems like the consensus advice.

Appreciate it!

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:39 am

Rabiz59 wrote:
A few things as a client who hires biglaw attorneys:

1) I know exactly how much biglaw associates make. Which car they drive is only a matter of how much of that salary they were willing to spend. I'm also a bit of a car nut and not particularly impressed by a base 3-series.

2) It's unlikely that I would ever find out what associates drive. On the occasions that I have gone to lunch with outside counsel, we have traveled separately and I never saw their car. A partner was also present, and presumably the partner drove instead of the associate.

3) Daewoo did not import any cars to the U.S. until 1997. If someone is driving a 30-year old Daewoo in the U.S., there must be a very interesting story behind it, and I would enjoy hearing it 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:58 am

nealric wrote:
Rabiz59 wrote:
A few things as a client who hires biglaw attorneys:

1) I know exactly how much biglaw associates make. Which car they drive is only a matter of how much of that salary they were willing to spend. I'm also a bit of a car nut and not particularly impressed by a base 3-series.

2) It's unlikely that I would ever find out what associates drive. On the occasions that I have gone to lunch with outside counsel, we have traveled separately and I never saw their car. A partner was also present, and presumably the partner drove instead of the associate.

3) Daewoo did not import any cars to the U.S. until 1997. If someone is driving a 30-year old Daewoo in the U.S., there must be a very interesting story behind it, and I would enjoy hearing it 8)
nealric:
He set it up and knocked it down here. Good post nealric.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Drive what you want. No one cares. And if they do, they don't matter.

I bought a fairly new 5-series about a year ago because (i) I like to have a nice car and (ii) having a nice car is admittedly something engrained in people from LA. Sometimes I drive the BMW, but sometimes I drive my ancient Mercedes. Basically depends on what car is more conveniently located in my driveway. I have never once thought about what people think, either that my car is too nice or my other car is a POS. (I secretly like the old Mercedes more anyways.)

whysoseriousbiglaw

Bronze

Post by whysoseriousbiglaw » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:09 am

DELG wrote:When it comes to showy spending, I've only ever heard of it counting against associates. Never heard of anyone being criticized for being cheap. Curious about other associate experiences though.
This.

Also oftentimes the most "showy" associates are the most broke - it's unbelievable how much some people with student loan debt spend on clothes/jewelry, etc. whereas trust fund kids don't spend anything...so i usually assume that the "showiest" people are the most broke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”