JD/MBA Joint Degree Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
texasrangersjb

Bronze

JD/MBA Joint Degree

Post by texasrangersjb » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Last edited by texasrangersjb on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Re: JD/MBA Joint Degree

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:11 pm

texasrangersjb wrote: JD/MBA interests me because it potentially allows for broader work options after graduation.
No.

JD/MBA is only worth it if you have a specific reason for doing so (ie. your employer is paying for it). Don't do it just for the credential, or because you think it will make you more marketable.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:18 pm

JD careers and MBA careers are really not as interrelated as you might think. JD people practice law. MBA people do deals and make spreadsheets. There are unique jobs where a JD/MBA will help you, but they are absolutely not entry-level positions, and you should not spend tens of thousands of dollars on a program that may or may not actually do anything for you.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:36 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote: JD/MBA interests me because it potentially allows for broader work options after graduation.
No.

JD/MBA is only worth it if you have a specific reason for doing so (ie. your employer is paying for it). Don't do it just for the credential, or because you think it will make you more marketable.
Not that it would make me "more marketable", but that it would leave the option open for jobs in business.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:38 pm

twenty wrote:JD careers and MBA careers are really not as interrelated as you might think. JD people practice law. MBA people do deals and make spreadsheets. There are unique jobs where a JD/MBA will help you, but they are absolutely not entry-level positions, and you should not spend tens of thousands of dollars on a program that may or may not actually do anything for you.
Alright well thanks for the input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:56 pm

texasrangersjb wrote: Not that it would make me "more marketable", but that it would leave the option open for jobs in business.
There could be advantages later if looking to move in-house, where counsel can be much more involved in the business side. That said, an extra year of debt is a very significant additional cost, and I think it would be hard to justify. If someone is recruiting for an in-house position and wants experience, they'll more than likely hire someone with existing in-house experience, rather than a firm attorney with an MBA.

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:11 pm

albanach wrote:
texasrangersjb wrote: Not that it would make me "more marketable", but that it would leave the option open for jobs in business.
There could be advantages later if looking to move in-house, where counsel can be much more involved in the business side. That said, an extra year of debt is a very significant additional cost, and I think it would be hard to justify. If someone is recruiting for an in-house position and wants experience, they'll more than likely hire someone with existing in-house experience, rather than a firm attorney with an MBA.
Makes sense, thanks!

texasrangersjb

Bronze

Post by texasrangersjb » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:09 am

deleted

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm

Did you pursue a joint JD-MBA degree ?

A lot of firms offer increased pay or a bonus for those with both degrees.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”