UT Job Outcomes Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zozo1717

Bronze

UT Job Outcomes

Post by zozo1717 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Question for all the UT folks around here - I have a pretty good offer from UT (OOS) that I'm really excited about.

Couple of questions, common wisdom here is UT is strongly regional (i.e. Texas). My almost-hubby is a Texan and itching to go back and I've been to Texas many times and I generally like the state (some cities more than others :p). Austin is also a great spot for his career.

My degree is EE/CE and I have 6 years WE at a major tech company. Wanting to go into patent work - I'd love to do biglaw first and then transition to an in-house position. I have a few T14 acceptances, but its most likely gonna be sticker or a small scholarship at those places.

Other places with STRONG ties for me are to DC, southeast and some weaker ties to CA. Ideally, I'd like to practice in Texas or go back towards the East Coast.

For me, UT feels like a great fit, I guess my worry is that I'm locked into TX. Seems like with IP there are some other interview programs that could lead to opportunities in other markets.

Thoughts?

emkay625

Gold

Re: UT Job Outcomes

Post by emkay625 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:46 pm

This is anecdotal and not very helpful, but of my friends from UT who wanted IP and wanted to go out of state, all were able to. That being said, there were only three of them. All went to firms in cali.

87mm

Bronze

Re: UT Job Outcomes

Post by 87mm » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:49 pm

emkay625 wrote:This is anecdotal and not very helpful, but of my friends from UT who wanted IP and wanted to go out of state, all were able to. That being said, there were only three of them. All went to firms in cali.

Do you know if the people who went had previous ties?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”