Hoping for Insight into Corporate Startup Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KiltedKicker

Bronze

Hoping for Insight into Corporate Startup Law

Post by KiltedKicker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:38 pm

Hey, so I'm a 0L thinking that I would like to eventually work in corporate startup law at one of the big SV or SF firms that specialize in that kind of work (I know that could definitely change, but for now that's the plan). I've talked to a couple people now from Gunderson and Cooley and have heard very good things, and a couple of negatives as well. I'm hoping some people with knowledge on this practice area can tell me about their experiences and thoughts. Is what I've heard correct? Is this an area of law you would recommend?

I've heard that:
- Because you have so many clients, you get a lot of responsibility early on (though maybe too much?)
- There are really good exit options
- The atmosphere is usually pretty laid-back and casual
- You get to work on a lot of different types of things
- Hours are unpredictable, and can be long.
- You get to be more of a business advisor than most lawyers, especially if you're knowledgable on the business side.
- Availability of work fluctuates strongly with the economy
- If you're coming from a T-10 school, personality and fit are often more important than grades when it comes to getting hired. Or, at the least these firms are less concerned about grades than many other prestigious firms tend to be. Along the same lines, relevant experience is also valued when they're making hiring decisions.

Thank you to anyone willing to provide some help, it's much appreciated.

h2go

Bronze

Re: Hoping for Insight into Corporate Startup Law

Post by h2go » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:01 am

I do technology transactions for one of the major startup players in SF/SV.
Because you have so many clients, you get a lot of responsibility early on (though maybe too much?)
Accurate, you definitely get more client exposure than you would doing more traditional corporate work in NY.
There are really good exit options
I dunno about really good, but general corporate people do find pretty good jobs in house or for venture funds (often clients). I guess since you are probably working for way more clients compared to NY, you get exposed to more opportunities.
The atmosphere is usually pretty laid-back and casual
Dress code is definitely casual. There is also little face time required at my firm.
You get to work on a lot of different types of things
I think this will depend on the firm you are at and their needs. If you actively seek it out, you should be able to get whatever experience you're looking for. Some kinds of work will be harder to get compared to if you were in NY.
Hours are unpredictable, and can be long.
Accurate, but not any different than corporate practices in other geographic areas.
Availability of work fluctuates strongly with the economy
Yea, but again this isn't too different from other practice areas. There's still enough work right now.
If you're coming from a T-10 school, personality and fit are often more important than grades when it comes to getting hired. Or, at the least these firms are less concerned about grades than many other prestigious firms tend to be. Along the same lines, relevant experience is also valued when they're making hiring decisions.
Depends on the firm. I think school/grades are still the most important factor if you can hold down a normal conversation. Maybe hiring is a bit less prestige-oriented compared to NY.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”