mass mail firms coming to OCI? y/n? (pure lottery) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

mass mail firms coming to OCI? y/n? (pure lottery)

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:24 pm

looked through some of the past threads, and it seems divided? my OCS says dont do it but fuck OCS. will firms coming to OCI just say "hey place a bid or stop by our suite!" or will they legit consider my app through mailing?

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Re: mass mail firms coming to OCI? y/n? (pure lottery)

Post by John_Luther1989 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:28 pm

Absolutely do this. There is 100% no downside.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:Absolutely do this. There is 100% no downside.
annoying the recruiters at firms possibly?

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:41 am

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:
Firms are used to students reaching out proactively and they actually like it. The firm I was at this past summer said they loved when people reached out during 1L summer for 2L jobs because it showed initiative and (usually) a specific interest in that firm.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:04 am

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:
Having worked in HR - there's almost no way you'll "annoy" a recruiter as long as you don't e-mail them multiple times. If they aren't interested they'll just ignore your e-mail with a blink of the eye or give you a form e-mail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:09 am

i guess my worry is that i dont want to give an indication along the lines of "oh i wont be wasting my bid on your firm for OCI, but can you hit me up with an interview before OCI happens anyway?"

after reading through multiple threads on this issue, answers range from do it to absolutely dont do it. so... :?

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 am

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:i guess my worry is that i dont want to give an indication along the lines of "oh i wont be wasting my bid on your firm for OCI, but can you hit me up with an interview before OCI happens anyway?"

after reading through multiple threads on this issue, answers range from do it to absolutely dont do it. so... :?
Don't say anything about why you are applying right now unless it's something like "i'm applying because so and so told me to." just mass mail. They won't know if you are mass mailing because your school is 100% lottery, or 100% grades, or you can't make oci (tho if that's true (and hopefully it isn't) then indicate that), they don't keep track of how bids are assigned at different schools. If they do ask, you can say:
- "I wanted to get interviews out of the way"
- "I didn't get an interview slow [the reason, of course, may be because I didn't bid for your firm]"
- "[someone you talked to] told me to apply and I decided to apply direct before OCI"
- "Last year X # of students bd and only y # got an interview so I decided to be proactive"

i mass mailed firms coming to my school's oci. the responses were:
- some callbacks
- some ignoring me, and then i received callbacks/offers from them at oci, with no indication that they knew I had applied earlier
- "we will be at your school August X"
- "were you able to receive an interview with us?" me: "no" them: "we have overflow slots here you go"

unless you are mass mailing different cities and stuff which is a different question, none of them will care. they probably won't even notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”