Buying a laptop for law school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
marisacb1012

New

Buying a laptop for law school

Post by marisacb1012 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Hey guys! So I still have my laptop from undergrad - it's a 2010 white macbook and it's getting really old and slow. I know I'm gonna need a new one when I start law school, but I don't think I can afford another mac, even though I love them! I'm looking around online and chromebooks look great, but they don't have the storage for microsoft word programs; everything is to be done on google drive. I do a lot of things on google drive anyway - that's usually where I type papers, make presentations, etc. Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not this is a feasible option in law school? Or is microsoft office simply a must have item?

unfinishedthough

New

Re: Buying a laptop for law school

Post by unfinishedthough » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:50 pm

Last edited by unfinishedthough on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:55 pm

You'll need your computer for research, writing, maybe writing up case summaries, casebriefs.com, Facebook, Twitter, and whatever website will keep you distracted--like the ones with the you had one job pictures. If you can find a laptop that can do all of this, you're solid.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:21 pm

It really just needs to be reliable so it won't crash when running the test taking software. If you search, there is is huge thread about this.

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:30 pm

Chromebooks can't run programs other than Chrome so if your school uses Examsoft you'll need a laptop.
Last edited by Jaqen on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 pm

zot1 wrote:You'll need your computer for research, writing, maybe writing up case summaries, casebriefs.com, Facebook, Twitter, and whatever website will keep you distracted--like the ones with the you had one job pictures. If you can find a laptop that can do all of this, you're solid.
Oh yeah, ExamSoft. It ruins everything.

p1921

Bronze

Post by p1921 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:09 pm

I would definitely get some sort of Mac; iMessage on it during class helps you stay sane.

Archibald

New

Post by Archibald » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:12 pm

anyone have any thoughts about using microsoft surface for law school?

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Archibald

New

Post by Archibald » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:30 pm

TheRealSantaClaus wrote:
Archibald wrote:anyone have any thoughts about using microsoft surface for law school?
The surface book, or surface pro? The surface "book" has gotten good reviews and I've considered picking one up, but I've heard it''s buggy. You can't beat Mac for reliability IMO.
i was thinking surface pro. surface book does look great though. ive just never been a mac person.. also like how lightweight and versatile the surface pros are

marisacb1012

New

Post by marisacb1012 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:20 pm

Anyone currently in law school have a NON-mac laptop that works well with law programs that you would recommend?

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:54 pm

marisacb1012 wrote:Anyone currently in law school have a NON-mac laptop that works well with law programs that you would recommend?
I don't know what your budget is but Thinkpad T series for reliability.
I had an Asus Zenbook that I regretted buying a year later. Specs seemed good on paper and it looked pretty but keyboard is terrible (skipped keys 10% of time - it resulted in a typo that cost me $1k but that's another story) and durability is unacceptable (hinges disintegrated after a year of normal use and even the smallest spill on keyboard means you're screwed).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:02 pm

TheRealSantaClaus wrote:
Archibald wrote:
TheRealSantaClaus wrote:
Archibald wrote:anyone have any thoughts about using microsoft surface for law school?
The surface book, or surface pro? The surface "book" has gotten good reviews and I've considered picking one up, but I've heard it''s buggy. You can't beat Mac for reliability IMO.
i was thinking surface pro. surface book does look great though. ive just never been a mac person.. also like how lightweight and versatile the surface pros are
I have not looked too much into the surface pro. I know the "book" is more than powerful enough to function as a true workstation. I'd imagine you should be ok using the surface pro as your main laptop, but there are some limits as to what it can do (plus the keyboard dock is kinda meh). I have no idea how well it runs exam testing software, though I'd imagine it should work.
I switched to exclusively using my surface pro with type cover for law school a little over a month ago, and it has been way better than any laptop I've used thus far. I love a lot of the OneNote features that work nicely with the surface and it's pen. My school doesn't use exam software, so I can't speak to that, but I love the machine for school. Having an SSD is also a huge plus. I'm planning on getting the full dock for at home, but the type cover is plenty for class.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:22 pm

I absolutely love my Surface Pro, and have actually converted two others in my class to switch from their Macs--and they both seem very happy with the choice.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:48 am

Auxilio wrote:I absolutely love my Surface Pro, and have actually converted two others in my class to switch from their Macs--and they both seem very happy with the choice.
How much easier is it to take notes using the surface? Is it better than just hand writing? How is the keyboard for typing? Is a static built in keyboard faster? I have a mechanical keyboard for my desktop but I need a laptop soon for school in the fall. Debating that or the macbook air.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:11 am

I have an XPS 13 which I really like. The only downside is the 13" screen, but if you can deal with that I highly recommend it. You can find the 2014 model for $600-700 these days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:16 am

87mm wrote:
Auxilio wrote:I absolutely love my Surface Pro, and have actually converted two others in my class to switch from their Macs--and they both seem very happy with the choice.
How much easier is it to take notes using the surface? Is it better than just hand writing? How is the keyboard for typing? Is a static built in keyboard faster? I have a mechanical keyboard for my desktop but I need a laptop soon for school in the fall. Debating that or the macbook air.
I find it much easier, and if it is your thing you can even use the pen and handwrite into OneNote, it works fairly well.

The type keyboard is quite good--the touch one not so much. I also have a nice mechanical keyboard at home and do fine with the Surface (although a bought a bit bigger discrete bluetooth keyboard for exams).

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Auxilio wrote:
87mm wrote:
I find it much easier, and if it is your thing you can even use the pen and handwrite into OneNote, it works fairly well.

The type keyboard is quite good--the touch one not so much. I also have a nice mechanical keyboard at home and do fine with the Surface (although a bought a bit bigger discrete bluetooth keyboard for exams).
Yeah, the type keyboard is really hard to complain about. If I have one, it is that when I start to type really fast (read, above 100 wpm) I start to mistype a little, and will miss spaces between the words every now and again, because the keys are a little closer together than a standard keyboard. Will be using something standard for exams because of this, but for notetaking it has never been an issue at all.

Also, one note for the surface is AWESOME in that, if you hand write your notes in one note, it will still be keyword searchable. A really cool feature IMO.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:23 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
87mm wrote:

Yeah, the type keyboard is really hard to complain about. If I have one, it is that when I start to type really fast (read, above 100 wpm) I start to mistype a little, and will miss spaces between the words every now and again, because the keys are a little closer together than a standard keyboard. Will be using something standard for exams because of this, but for notetaking it has never been an issue at all.

Also, one note for the surface is AWESOME in that, if you hand write your notes in one note, it will still be keyword searchable. A really cool feature IMO.

Dizzam. As long as the exam software works on the surface pro I may consider getting that over the macbook air. I love handwriting my notes (engineer).

As for typing fast... i average 60-90wpm. Peaked over 100 but I need to be in the zone. Guess it shouldnt be a problem.

How angry would people in the room be if I brought my desktop mechanical keyboard to the exam? They type amazingly but they make obnoxious klack klack sounds :D

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:31 pm

87mm wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
87mm wrote:

Dizzam. As long as the exam software works on the surface pro I may consider getting that over the macbook air. I love handwriting my notes (engineer).

As for typing fast... i average 60-90wpm. Peaked over 100 but I need to be in the zone. Guess it shouldnt be a problem.

How angry would people in the room be if I brought my desktop mechanical keyboard to the exam? They type amazingly but they make obnoxious klack klack sounds :D
I spent a lot of time weighing this option, I don't think you can get away with it. Maybe with browns.

Also, of course the exam software works, it's just windows laptop in software terms.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Auxilio wrote:
87mm wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
87mm wrote:

I spent a lot of time weighing this option, I don't think you can get away with it. Maybe with browns.

Also, of course the exam software works, it's just windows laptop in software terms.
Thanks for all the info. I may actually try out the Surface Book. It looks exactly like what I am looking for (outside price).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”