2 Part-Time Law School Choices, 1 Great Current Employer Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Joatam

New

2 Part-Time Law School Choices, 1 Great Current Employer

Post by Joatam » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Been reading through this forum for most of 2015, thank you for all of the insight. I felt that it was time to put my unique situation out there for discussion.
First, some background :

Made the decision to pursue Patent prosecution law this year. My background consists of a Bachelors and Masters in Computer Engineering, prior military experience as a military Officer (IT-related) and software development in the private sector. I currently work for a company in Cincinnati Ohio in non-legal related work. I plan on making this city home for the long term.

Family circumstances prevent me from moving and financial circumstances requires me to work. This limits me to University of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky University. Both schools have part time options that I'm considering. UC during the day, NKU day and night.

My goal at the moment can go one of two ways. Either work for local IP firms or work IP at my current employer. My employer isn't fond of promoting from within for their counsel. I'm also intrigued by the local startup scene and cyberecurity law but am too green with them to consider then potential goals right now.

I will start school this coming fall. Between then and now my plan is to pass the patent bar.

My current employer has benefits such as tuition reimbursement and flexible work arrangements (<40hrs/wk position permitting with respective pay reduction).

I plan on using a combination of veterans GI bill, scholarship and tuition reimbursement to cover law school.

My current position is mundane, unorganized and somewhat depressing. It is however extremely flexible (part time school in mind).

-if I stay with this employer through law school Should I try to stay in a role I'm unhappy with to benefit from the flexibility for school or look for another role in the company? Should the precedent for that role be legal related or flexibility for school?

-Should I jump ship from my current employer and look for part time work at a firm?

-After I pass the patent bar, should I run with that and find a patent agent position?

Appreciate any time you spare in lending me your thoughts!

haus

Gold

Re: 2 Part-Time Law School Choices, 1 Great Current Employer

Post by haus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:36 pm

As a part-time student who works full-time, I would mention that having flexibility at work is a real nice benefit to have, especially in the first year of law school.

Most part-time programs run four years, as such, if this is a road you want to go down, you may want to consider keeping the job with flexibility for 1L, and after that is done you can revisit the question of how your employment during school can position you for options when you graduate.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”