1L summer at solo firm Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eagle2a

Bronze

1L summer at solo firm

Post by eagle2a » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:07 pm

I know a couple solo attorneys that I could work with over the summer. I'm thinking about working with two different ones just to get more experience/stuff on my resume/connections. Does it look weak though, working at a solo firm, especially if I want to do OCI next fall?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: 1L summer at solo firm

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:50 am

What are your other options?

1L summer doesn't matter that much for OCI, provided you're doing something legal. You just want to make sure you're doing as much substantive stuff as possible, as opposed to making copies and filing.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:54 am

Do it. As above poster mentioned, as long as its legal it wont matter. In fact, a solo firm is likely going to give you more substantive work, and therefore more things to talk about during OCI interviews. It will not be looked down upon whatsoever.

EDIT: I also think that working for two firms will actually be worse than working for one. If one of these solos are willing to give you full time or close to it, take that. Working 8/9 - noon, and then going somewhere else doesn't really give you a chance to really get into the work IMO.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:24 pm

You just want to make sure you're doing as much substantive stuff as possible, as opposed to making copies and filing.
This... a thousand times this. One of my goals in 1L SAs was to get resume line items. The name of the firms were relatively useless in OCI, because many hadn't heard of them.

What wasn't worthless was "Wrote five XYZs" "Drafted a client recommendation based on ABC" "Drafted an argument section for a MNO." Many conversations, especially with younger associates at big firms were along the lines of "You got to do work on an MNO? I haven't gotten to do that yet! How did you like it?" or "I see you did work on ABC. Did you know that we're ranked nationally in the top 10 in number of ABCs filed last quarter?"

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Appreciate the replies. What I meant by two firms was working at one in June and the other in July.

When would be a good time to contact these attorneys? Since they are small firms can I wait till next semester while I look for better opportunities or should I try to secure them as soon as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:06 pm

eagle2a wrote:Appreciate the replies. What I meant by two firms was working at one in June and the other in July.

When would be a good time to contact these attorneys? Since they are small firms can I wait till next semester while I look for better opportunities or should I try to secure them as soon as possible.
Get your grades, talk with Career Services about what options are available once you have your grades in hand, then decide whether the the solo practices are the best fit for you. I wouldn't contact the solo firms until February at earliest. You may want to ramp up the networking with your contacts. Get coffee with them, talk about school and stuff. That way the engine is nice and warm when you need it for real in 3 months.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:03 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:
eagle2a wrote:Appreciate the replies. What I meant by two firms was working at one in June and the other in July.

Get your grades, talk with Career Services about what options are available once you have your grades in hand, then decide whether the the solo practices are the best fit for you. I wouldn't contact the solo firms until February at earliest. You may want to ramp up the networking with your contacts. Get coffee with them, talk about school and stuff. That way the engine is nice and warm when you need it for real in 3 months.
Okay, thanks. What do you make of the judicial clerkships Career Services is always talking about. Are those really that great or just there because most firms won't hire !L's

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:11 pm

A judicial clerkship is a postgrad job. Working for a judge during school is an internship (or externship). Working for a judge is usually good experience - interesting, and you either write a lot or get to observe court a lot or some mix of the two. It's unlikely to directly land you a postgrad job, but that's true of most 1L positions. It will probably teach you some stuff you don't know about the legal system and give you something to talk about in future interviews.

Also, some schools give stipends for public interest work over the 1L summer, but don't do so for judicial internships, so that's something to consider as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”