C&F Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
splittermcsplit88

Bronze

C&F

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi, I was wondering if during the C&F process they contact all your past employers and the places you volunteered at. If so, what sorts of questions do they ask? If anyone knows....

wwwcol

Bronze

Re: C&F

Post by wwwcol » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Sounds like story time. What did you do to get fired from an internship?

splittermcsplit88

Bronze

Post by splittermcsplit88 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:43 pm

Well I didn't get fired, but it was a couple of years ago, and I just kinda left the internship without saying anything and went to school. Nobody contacted me ever asking what was up. It was unpaid, and I was given research work for a paper but I didn't submit my work and left. I'm wondering if I could still write this on my resume saying I researched x, y, z.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Moved to the correct forum.

The bar will ask for all your past employers within a certain period of time - usually 10 years or from age 18 on, whichever comes first - and they will ask why you left each job. I don't think all states automatically contact each employer, just based on never hearing that any of mine had been contacted (though it could be none of them told me about it).

My guess is that if/when they do contact employers, they want to confirm that in fact you worked there and when. That's most of what most employers will actually confirm, anyway - they generally don't say more for fear of lawsuits and I don't know if they make an exception for responding to bar enquiries. If you've been fired from any place I bet they'd want to confirm the reason and whether it's a c+f problem (mishandling someone else's funds is a HUGE issue), but I don't know whether they could get that info from an employer or would call you in or what.

(And of course if the employer says they never heard of you you're going to be in trouble for lying on the application.)

Re your resume, you did research x, y, etc., but if you were supposed to submit work and didn't, I don't know that I'd put it on there. Depends on the likelihood of someone ever checking with the internship people to see how you did there. But that's a different issue from the bar application, which includes everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”