Deleted Post Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PJam1989

New

Deleted Post

Post by PJam1989 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Deleted Post
Last edited by PJam1989 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sesto elemento

Gold

Re: Graduates: Money or Prestige?

Post by sesto elemento » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:52 pm

You can get a free ride at a T14. Shoot for that.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:32 am

yeah this is not a real dilemma. don't go to law school until you get both. retake.

PPL

New

Post by PPL » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:03 pm

I think this all depends on what you want out of law school. But choose a T10 if you want to have the big law option.

Personally, I went with a T10 with some decent amount of money. Looking back, I think this is clearly better choice given I wanted to have the option to work in big law. There were some schools ranked in the 14-20 range that offered full/near full ride--but I'm glad I didn't take that route. I say this bc I studied very hard in law school and still managed to end up with median 1L grades. For the average law student I would recommend going to a HYPCCNP if at all possible bc of two factors:

1) you'll likely not end up in the top X% at your school. (My LSAT & GPA combo was substantially higher than the median at my school and I still barely squeaked into the middle range by studying extremely hard--maybe I'm dumb)

2)outside of HYPCCNP, median is too scary for big law. I realize that people categorize 14 schools under one banner, but the chances for big law is significantly different when comparing GTown v. Penn and up.

In the end, I got big law only bc of my school's ability to place well. If I had chosen even Georgetown, I don't think I would be in the place I'm in now. Remember, even with full ride, you still have to borrow to live without working--which can easily be near six figure debt.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:18 pm

PPL wrote:I think this all depends on what you want out of law school. But choose a T10 if you want to have the big law option.

Personally, I went with a T10 with some decent amount of money. Looking back, I think this is clearly better choice given I wanted to have the option to work in big law. There were some schools ranked in the 14-20 range that offered full/near full ride--but I'm glad I didn't take that route. I say this bc I studied very hard in law school and still managed to end up with median 1L grades. For the average law student I would recommend going to a HYPCCNP if at all possible bc of two factors:

1) you'll likely not end up in the top X% at your school. (My LSAT & GPA combo was substantially higher than the median at my school and I still barely squeaked into the middle range by studying extremely hard--maybe I'm dumb)

2)outside of HYPCCNP, median is too scary for big law. I realize that people categorize 14 schools under one banner, but the chances for big law is significantly different when comparing GTown v. Penn and up.

In the end, I got big law only bc of my school's ability to place well. If I had chosen even Georgetown, I don't think I would be in the place I'm in now. Remember, even with full ride, you still have to borrow to live without working--which can easily be near six figure debt.
What is the other P?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:23 pm

kartelite wrote:
PPL wrote:I think this all depends on what you want out of law school. But choose a T10 if you want to have the big law option.

What is the other P?
He likely meant HYSCCNP. I would say HYSCCNPB, because Wachtell goes to OCI at those schools only. But I also think any other school within T14 is still worth attending with enough scholarship money (half-ride or more).

Hahalollawl

Bronze

Post by Hahalollawl » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:27 pm

What the heck is HYPCCNP? I'm particularly curious what the two Ps are. Also, there might be a significant difference between GTown v. Penn and up, but is there a significant difference between, for example, Duke v. Penn and up? If not, why draw a line there?

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:

What the heck is HYPCCNP? I'm particularly curious what the two Ps are.
Once is enough

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:

What the heck is HYPCCNP? I'm particularly curious what the two Ps are. Also, there might be a significant difference between GTown v. Penn and up, but is there a significant difference between, for example, Duke v. Penn and up? If not, why draw a line there?
WACHTELLLLLLLLL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Student of Law

New

Post by Student of Law » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:38 pm

nerd1 wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:

What the heck is HYPCCNP? I'm particularly curious what the two Ps are.
Once is enough
Last edited by Student of Law on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Neither. I wouldn't pay $$$ for a t14 law school and I wouldn't waste my time going to a non t14. Get a real career unless you can score 170+ on the LSAT to cop $$$

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:35 am

Is HYSCCNP an actual thing now, or is "the nerd" just trying to justify his decision to attend Penn?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:03 pm

nerd1 wrote:
kartelite wrote:

What is the other P?
He likely meant HYSCCNP. I would say HYSCCNPB, because Wachtell goes to OCI at those schools only. But I also think any other school within T14 is still worth attending with enough scholarship money (half-ride or more).
Wait, you think you should decide which law schools are best (or worth going to) based on where one law firm that hires 25 students a year (and almost certainly not you) attends on campus recruiting? Unless flame, I can't imagine how that's a remotely defensible perspective.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:48 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
kartelite wrote:

What is the other P?
Wait, you think you should decide which law schools are best (or worth going to) based on where one law firm that hires 25 students a year (and almost certainly not you) attends on campus recruiting? Unless flame, I can't imagine how that's a remotely defensible perspective.
Improve your reading skills and I will care about what you think. Never said those schools are the go-to schools but just that those are what the best firm in corporate practice regards as schools good enough to go to for OCI.

I am clearly not in a position where I can have much respect for whatever you say. I am doing very well in whatever I am doing. Never sought and need your advice. No thank you.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:50 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:Is HYSCCNP an actual thing now, or is "the nerd" just trying to justify his decision to attend Penn?
Penn? Yeah whatever school you want to think I am attending.

PJam1989

New

Deleted Post

Post by PJam1989 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:57 pm

Deleted Post
Last edited by PJam1989 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:19 pm

PJam1989 wrote:Prestige wins! Cool!
If you are rich and like simple things, then yes.

Actually, it all depends on how risk-averse you are, how much money you have, how debt-averse you are, what your goals are, and where you want to work and some other factors that I may have omitted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:58 pm

nerd1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
nerd1 wrote: He likely meant HYSCCNP. I would say HYSCCNPB, because Wachtell goes to OCI at those schools only. But I also think any other school within T14 is still worth attending with enough scholarship money (half-ride or more).
Improve your reading skills and I will care about what you think. Never said those schools are the go-to schools but just that those are what the best firm in corporate practice regards as schools good enough to go to for OCI.

I am clearly not in a position where I can have much respect for whatever you say. I am doing very well in whatever I am doing. Never sought and need your advice. No thank you.
Leaving aside the bizarrely personal and defensive monologue at the end, I'm not trying to give you advise -- I don't think you're an applicant anymore; I'm addressing a statement you made for the benefit of OP/other posters considering law schools. I'm glad you're doing well, that's great. This website runs the gamut of peculiar and erroneous methods for evaluating law schools and ultimately choosing one, but I've never heard of listing the schools where one law firm goes to recruit on campus as relevant, and one shouldn't place much stock in such a list now. I don't see how that comment was prefaced by the thread either; the OP didn't mention corporate work or wachtell or anything of the sort. Anyway, FWIW I think everything else nerd1 has said here is spot on.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:04 pm

This thread sucks

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:47 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:This thread sucks
Spot on. This is, indeed, one of the worst threads I have seen in a while, Mack.

But to close I will say that ordinarily (and I am not speaking specifically to law schools here) money is better than prestige. Although neither will make you happy over the long term, you will almost certainly get further with money. And, in the larger sense, money is prestigious.

Even more important, however: Know that any pleasure you derive from the prestige of your school, particularly it's lays prestuge, will wear off very quickly once you start classes. You will not be comparing yourself to the rest of the "law school world", but rather to your fellow classmates. This trend of "re-anchoring" will follow you throughout your life. Let it inform you.

And consider, then, that, when chosing a school, it is best to maximize your future income subject to minimizing cost. Let that, not prestige, guide you.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:00 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:13 am

MistakenGenius wrote:this thread sucks.

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:44 am

MistakenGenius wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
nerd1 wrote: He likely meant HYSCCNP. I would say HYSCCNPB, because Wachtell goes to OCI at those schools only. But I also think any other school within T14 is still worth attending with enough scholarship money (half-ride or more).

Leaving aside the bizarrely personal and defensive monologue at the end, I'm not trying to give you advise -- I don't think you're an applicant anymore; I'm addressing a statement you made for the benefit of OP/other posters considering law schools. I'm glad you're doing well, that's great. This website runs the gamut of peculiar and erroneous methods for evaluating law schools and ultimately choosing one, but I've never heard of listing the schools where one law firm goes to recruit on campus as relevant, and one shouldn't place much stock in such a list now. I don't see how that comment was prefaced by the thread either; the OP didn't mention corporate work or wachtell or anything of the sort. Anyway, FWIW I think everything else nerd1 has said here is spot on.
Wow, yeah, this dude seems like a real jackass Bagel. If he really is a V10 associate, he seems to be living proof of why not to follow prestige, because they're filled with aspies like this. I wouldn't worry about defending yourself to him. It was an idiotic statement. Who the hell cares if WLRK goes to Berkeley? Maybe they'll hire one student a year from there, I don't think that alone means they should be grouped with the others, especially since Cornell tends to crush them in numbers every year.

But I agree, this thread sucks.
He's not a v10 associate, he's just a summer (though I don't know what firm). Annoying ass H student, figures.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:00 am

Serious virginia trolling itt

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:11 am

BizBro wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Wow, yeah, this dude seems like a real jackass Bagel. If he really is a V10 associate, he seems to be living proof of why not to follow prestige, because they're filled with aspies like this. I wouldn't worry about defending yourself to him. It was an idiotic statement. Who the hell cares if WLRK goes to Berkeley? Maybe they'll hire one student a year from there, I don't think that alone means they should be grouped with the others, especially since Cornell tends to crush them in numbers every year.

But I agree, this thread sucks.
He's not a v10 associate, he's just a summer (though I don't know what firm). Annoying ass H student, figures.
Just in case you are still stalking me, I actually go to Brooklyn on a full-ride.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”