Do professors care what you wear in class? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DaRascal

Gold

Do professors care what you wear in class?

Post by DaRascal » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm just wondering because one of my professors put down in his syllabus that if he cold calls a person and that person doesn't provide a thoughtful response that shows that he or she spent a lot of time thinking over the reading for that day that it could negatively influence the student's grade at the end of the semester.

I've been dressing nicely to this point, but I have my first full week of classes starting tomorrow and I'm tempted to go in with a t-shirt, gym shorts, and a backward baseball cap. Could this really hurt my 1L grades?

mt2165

Silver

Re: Do professors care what you wear in class?

Post by mt2165 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Won't affect your grade. Wear what you want, fuck the haters

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Haha ok then. Do they mind if you change seats during the semester? My section is small and I might feel like sitting up front one day, way in the back another day, and next to the cutest girl in the room the next day. :wink:

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:17 pm

8)

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:18 pm

One professor gave me two extra points on the final because he appreciated my spread collars.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:39 pm

snagglepuss wrote:One professor gave me two extra points on the final because he appreciated my spread collars.
I had one pull me aside and tell me never to come to class again because I just earned an A+ for wearing the Borat swimsuit to class.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Your question is about grades and the answer is no it doesn't matter, but if you want professors to write letters for you it might help if they can truthfully say you demonstrated your maturity in class. Wearing a backwards baseball cap in public does not demonstrate maturity. I judge anyone in gym shorts harshly but that's debatable. T-shirts are clearly reasonable.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:01 pm

nothingtosee wrote:8)
def 8)

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:36 pm

hdunlop wrote:Your question is about grades and the answer is no it doesn't matter, but if you want professors to write letters for you it might help if they can truthfully say you demonstrated your maturity in class. Wearing a backwards baseball cap in public does not demonstrate maturity. I judge anyone in gym shorts harshly but that's debatable. T-shirts are clearly reasonable.
Lol wut?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Ask ur dad

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:49 pm

hdunlop wrote:I judge anyone in gym shorts harshly but that's debatable.
really

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Well not at the gym

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:06 pm

I've worn anything from basketball shorts to suits (mostly because I had somewhere to go after like clinic or an interview) and definitely baseball hats. Have never been judged for it and was never denied a rec letter because I wore what I did. Don't overthink it--unless your professor is an adjunct (judge or law firm partner).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:11 pm

Certainly not saying it would cost you a letter, just saying it might cost you a sentence in one.

And that I would judge you for wearing a hat inside and wearing gym shorts to not the gym, which I added because there's too many slobs on this bort.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Hopefully a prof will actually judge a student on their work, not their appearance in class.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Hopefully.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:47 pm

DaRascal wrote:Haha ok then. Do they mind if you change seats during the semester? My section is small and I might feel like sitting up front one day, way in the back another day, and next to the cutest girl in the room the next day. :wink:
They'll either have a seating chart or they won't. If they don't have one, they won't care where you sit.

Wear what you want to class. Be comfortable.
hdunlop wrote:Certainly not saying it would cost you a letter, just saying it might cost you a sentence in one.

And that I would judge you for wearing a hat inside and wearing gym shorts to not the gym, which I added because there's too many slobs on this bort.
I wear t-shirt and gym shorts to class every day unless I have to be in a suit. I've received outstanding letters of recommendation from professors. Shockingly, they couldn't care less about what you wear to class (unless you show up nude or in a thong...never tried that) if you are respectful, work hard, and do well in their class.

I am happy to be a "slob." I will have 40+ years of work where I'll have to dress nicely. I'm going to enjoy dress down time while I still have it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”