UCI Law Grad Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zot1

Gold

UCI Law Grad Taking Questions

Post by zot1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Class of '15 and bored. Shoot!

Hand

Gold

Re: UCI Law Grad Taking Questions

Post by Hand » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:15 pm

bored because you don't have a job?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:49 pm

Hand wrote:bored because you don't have a job?
Nice try!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:59 pm

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:46 am

How do you think SoCal employers look at UCI grads?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 am

hiima3L wrote:How do you think SoCal employers look at UCI grads?
Favorably. Many employers were excited about UCI because of the starting faculty and the student's credentials. Some, understandably, were skeptical. However, that changed after the rankings came out.

During my time at UCI (which was mostly before the rankings came out), I worked in several internships/externships, and everyone I worked with spoke highly of UCI. Also, the trend was often that after a place had hired a UCI student, they always wanted more the following cycle.

Additionally, as you may know, SoCal is where most students end up employed, but that can also correlate to the fact that most students who attend are from SoCal. But the reach is expanding--I know several members of my class who went on to work outside of SoCal, myself included.

bhlowe

New

Post by bhlowe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:00 am

Hey, incoming 1L here. How was the process for you finding work outside of SoCal? UCI sold me on being able to get opportunities in the east coast despite reputation/location/etc, but do you know of any results in your class as far as that's concerned? Thank you!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:05 pm

bhlowe wrote:Hey, incoming 1L here. How was the process for you finding work outside of SoCal? UCI sold me on being able to get opportunities in the east coast despite reputation/location/etc, but do you know of any results in your class as far as that's concerned? Thank you!
It's different based on what kind of career track you're in. I got an honors attorney position with the federal government so I applied to all the honors positions knowing I would likely end up going away from California for it (although some of these positions do offer california spots but those are rare and I didn't want them anyway).

Most firms that come visit during OCI seek to hire for their Southern California branches. However, some do interview for other offices. So you could target firms with offices in the east coast and also mass mail.

Clerkships and public interest stuff can be geographically targeted so you can get a job in the east coast that way.

I know people in my class going to New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and D.C. It's possible there are other locations that we have students going to that I'm not aware of.

Is there a specific place you're thinking of?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:03 pm

:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Freeze

New

Post by Mr. Freeze » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:32 pm

What made you choose UCI? What other schools were you looking at?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Mr. Freeze wrote:What made you choose UCI? What other schools were you looking at?
I'll answer this in reverse order:

My spouse and I were looking at schools (law school and grad school) in the same geographic areas since we didn't want to live apart. That led to me considering schools in Southern and Northern California, Illinois, Massachusetts, D.C., and North Carolina.

As I moved along through the process of applying to law schools, I was getting burned out pretty quickly. All the schools were offering the same things and I just couldn't see what would be best other than of course brand name.

Coming from a massive undergraduate school, I prioritized the following: small classes, practical education, access to faculty, job placement record, and location. UCI placed well in my list when considering these factors and after visiting for ASW, I was just really sold that UCI was the place for me.

Once I attended, the school delivered. Most of my classes were small (my overall class of '15 was only about 120 students); I did all sorts of internships, externships, and pro bono work; I could easily talk to faculty and that led to some great rec letters and a research assistant position; I never had a problem getting a job when I needed it (this is also a more personal thing because of my own resume though, but I do know that many employers I had in the SoCal area were eager to establish a relationship with UCI and told me so), and you can't beat living/going to school so close to the beach and other cool places.

I was personally very satisfied with my experience at UCI and I know many people in my position and also some who were never all that happy. Sometimes it was as a result of kinks from it being a new school, but this was mostly an issue when I was a 1L. It also takes a certain kind of person to want to help build something. So if someone wasn't the kind to start X group because there was a need for it, they probably would have been unhappy.

The bad news is that with the years now almost everything is in place so there are less opportunities to be a sort of trail blazer. The good news is that if you do find something that needs to get started, the administration and faculty will be supportive. We are still fairly new after all.

One more thing--because UCI is sort of touchy-feely, there tends to be less competition and more collegiality. If you're sick and can't come to class, people will give you their notes. If you need a ride to a client interview, someone will help you out. Etc. etc. In fact, the alumni network, although small, is very tight and willing to help--myself included. This is partly due to the fact that we all feel like we are in this adventure together. Sure, it's corny, but it helps when the time comes.

I hope this helps!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”