Workout clothes for class Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Poldy

Silver

Re: Workout clothes for class

Post by Poldy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:44 am

lawman84 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:This thread is weird. Sure, you are technically allowed to wear whatever you want. That said, wearing gym clothes in public makes you look like a slob, whether it is to class, the mall, a restaurant, or anywhere else.
Dressing in unnecessarily uncomfortable clothing makes you look uptight.
I'm not sure where you buy your clothes but if everything you own except gym clothes is uncomfortable, consider changing stores/sizes. My dress clothes are no less comfortable than my sweatpants and t-shirts. Jeans and a polo or button down is the same story. Perfectly comfortable and doesn't make me look like I'm in need of a shower. I'm not saying wear a suit every day but going at least a step or two above workout attire is necessary in my book.
I hate jeans. I find them to be very uncomfortable. Jeans and a polo shirt/a button down during the hot months are awful. I'll sweat through my shirt unless I wear an undershirt which just makes things more uncomfortable. I'll stick with the gym clothes.

Necessary? Who are they necessary for? Who are you trying to impress with your clothes in class?
The rallying cry of slobby dressers: "Who are you trying to impress?". Nobody. I just like to look presentable and don't care to make people guess at whether I'm a student or a homeless person who wandered in off the streets. There are many options other than jeans and gym clothes so you and your overactive sweat glands can still be comfortable without looking unkept. (Also, I wear an undershirt probably 90% of the time. It isn't uncomfortable at all.)

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:55 am

The most casual I would go to class is jeans and a t-shirt. I'd leave the gym clothes at home or, you know, the gym.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:57 am

itt ppl who have never been 3ls

DCNTUA

Bronze

Post by DCNTUA » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:01 am

pupshaw wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:
eddiemen2a wrote:I start class in a few weeks and I'm wondering whether or not it would be okay to wear workout clothes to class. My city is hot so I'm always in workout clothes-- it's just comfortable.

I'm not talking cut sleeves, but usually, I'm in Nike shorts and a plain Nike tee shirt.

Although it's a silly question, I appreciate any feedback. Thanks
I judge the fuck out of people who are dressed like we're still in middle school and not law school, but I think I'm in the minority.
But dress nicely for a while and then follow what everyone else does slash whatever you are comfortable with.
Everyone else judges the fuck out of you. OP, wear whatever's comfortable.
Seriously, most people won't care.

PodPeople

New

Post by PodPeople » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:05 am

lawman84 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:This thread is weird. Sure, you are technically allowed to wear whatever you want. That said, wearing gym clothes in public makes you look like a slob, whether it is to class, the mall, a restaurant, or anywhere else.
I'm not sure where you buy your clothes but if everything you own except gym clothes is uncomfortable, consider changing stores/sizes. My dress clothes are no less comfortable than my sweatpants and t-shirts. Jeans and a polo or button down is the same story. Perfectly comfortable and doesn't make me look like I'm in need of a shower. I'm not saying wear a suit every day but going at least a step or two above workout attire is necessary in my book.
I hate jeans. I find them to be very uncomfortable. Jeans and a polo shirt/a button down during the hot months are awful. I'll sweat through my shirt unless I wear an undershirt which just makes things more uncomfortable. I'll stick with the gym clothes.

Necessary? Who are they necessary for? Who are you trying to impress with your clothes in class?
Your future coworkers/network

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:34 am

It all depends on what point of the semester it is. If it's close to finals, you can show up in yoga pants and an unwashed wrinkled shirt that you found in your laundry basket and fit right in.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Wear whatever the fuck you want. Jesus - this thread is great for finding out who the douchebags are on here.

ZuluRosa

New

Post by ZuluRosa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

DCNTUA wrote:
pupshaw wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:
eddiemen2a wrote:I start class in a few weeks and I'm wondering whether or not it would be okay to wear workout clothes to class. My city is hot so I'm always in workout clothes-- it's just comfortable.

I'm not talking cut sleeves, but usually, I'm in Nike shorts and a plain Nike tee shirt.

Although it's a silly question, I appreciate any feedback. Thanks
I judge the fuck out of people who are dressed like we're still in middle school and not law school, but I think I'm in the minority.
But dress nicely for a while and then follow what everyone else does slash whatever you are comfortable with.
Everyone else judges the fuck out of you. OP, wear whatever's comfortable.
Seriously, most people won't care.
+1

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Nobody gives a shit what you wear except douchebag law students and MAYBE one or two crotchety/uptight professors.

No one in either of those two camps matter. At all. For any reason. Ever.

It won't affect your grades. It won't affect your employment. It won't affect your "network" (LOL) unless you feel compelled to surround yourself with insufferable assbags.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:26 pm

You can wish it was different all you want but the bottom line is that the way you dress is important. This thread is full of people who have obviously never been professionals before. It's time to grow up. You don't have to wear a suit and tie every day but you shouldn't be wearing gym clothes either.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:32 pm

I don't like to wear gym clothes unless I'm actually working out, but it really doesn't matter what you wear to class.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 pm

RancidSumo wrote:You can wish it was different all you want but the bottom line is that the way you dress is important. This thread is full of people who have obviously never been professionals before. It's time to grow up. You don't have to wear a suit and tie every day but you shouldn't be wearing gym clothes either.
It's not important in a law school class. It really isn't.

Also, you're lying when you say that your dress clothes are at least as comfortable as sweatpants and a tshirt. That is a lie, there is no way around it. That is a lie and you are a liar. I don't neccessarily mind dressing up for interviews or work or whatever but it's definitely less comfortable than my normal classroom/life uniform.

Anyway I'm with Noodley on this one.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:49 pm

RancidSumo wrote:You can wish it was different all you want but the bottom line is that the way you dress is important. This thread is full of people who have obviously never been professionals before. It's time to grow up. You don't have to wear a suit and tie every day but you shouldn't be wearing gym clothes either.
Post subject: Re: Workout clothes for class
for class

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Also, you're lying when you say that your dress clothes are at least as comfortable as sweatpants and a tshirt. That is a lie, there is no way around it. That is a lie and you are a liar. I don't neccessarily mind dressing up for interviews or work or whatever but it's definitely less comfortable than my normal classroom/life uniform.

It's not a lie. I can see not liking a tie but the shirt and pants are no different than any other shirts and pants. Equally comfortable.

The issue isn't law school classes specifically, it is life in general. Dressing like a slob is bad anywhere, not just in classes.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't like to wear gym clothes unless I'm actually working out, but it really doesn't matter what you wear to class.
Yeah, I'd feel weird doing it myself, but I give zero shits if someone else does. If they just finished working out, it'd be nice if they showered so I don't have to smell their BO for the whole lecture, but beyond that who cares?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:52 pm

also it's incredibly ironic that you've never been in law school before, yet you're calling out people for having "obviously never been professionals before"

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:54 pm

fkt18 wrote:Most people in my section dressed very well last year and suits (for interviews) were much more common than comfortable workout clothes. I actually can't remember a single time that someone showed up to class wearing sweatpants although it probably happened for a couple of 9am Friday classes. Maybe it's a NY thing though.
I dressed pretty well first semester. Collared shirt, nice jeans. 2nd semester, sweatpants and hoodie 2/5 days of the week and 5/5 days during finals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Nobody cares what you wear. Just don't go to class stinky.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 pm

LeDique wrote:also it's incredibly ironic that you've never been in law school before, yet you're calling out people for having "obviously never been professionals before"
Because it's impossible to have had a life other than school before attending law school?

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:16 pm

LeDique wrote:
for class
Lol this sums it up perfect. It's not like wearing basketball shorts and a t shirt some days to class precludes you from dressing up to look good when you go out to the bars at night. There are times when you want to look your best and times when it doesn't matter. Class, more often than not, is the second one.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:23 pm

if there's a hot girl(s) in class you best bet I'm putting on that fitted button-down and combing wax through my hair

if not, flip flops, bball shorts, loose graphic tee, and bed hair it is

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:26 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:if there's a hot girl(s) in class you best bet I'm putting on that fitted button-down and combing wax through my hair

if not, flip flops, bball shorts, loose graphic tee, and bed hair it is
+1 (minus the wax)

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I agree that it's not important at all in class, but I don't roll out of bed and step into class. I like to look presentable walking down the streets of the city on my way to class and for any other activities I have planned afterwards.

Besides, even if I could walk into class from my bedroom, I still wouldn't wear gym clothes.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm

RancidSumo wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

The rallying cry of slobby dressers: "Who are you trying to impress?". Nobody. I just like to look presentable and don't care to make people guess at whether I'm a student or a homeless person who wandered in off the streets. There are many options other than jeans and gym clothes so you and your overactive sweat glands can still be comfortable without looking unkept. (Also, I wear an undershirt probably 90% of the time. It isn't uncomfortable at all.)
Awesome. You look presentable. I'll look not presentable. Thing is, all other things equal, I'll have the same job prospects you do at the end of my 3 years of law school. Because how you look in class is more or less irrelevant.

Why? Because I have nice clothes too. And I will wear those nice clothes when it matters...like to job interviews, networking events, etc.
RancidSumo wrote:
LeDique wrote:also it's incredibly ironic that you've never been in law school before, yet you're calling out people for having "obviously never been professionals before"
Because it's impossible to have had a life other than school before attending law school?
Because it's impossible (not impossible...I guess improbable) to understand what people wear to class in law school without having gone to law school.
PodPeople wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Your future coworkers/network
I'm not concerned about my network. I don't want the people who have a problem with what I wear to be part of my network.

However, I've also found that people tend not to care about what you wear to class when you handle cold-calls well, are a likable person, and have strong grades.

I think my network will be okay.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:52 pm

To be fair, different schools have different cultures. If you're in the middle of NYC, maybe people dress up a little more. At my school, a fleece + jeans was dressed up. So there can be general conventions that vary by location. But that doesn't mean you have to follow them if you don't want to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”