Where to live? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Where to live?

Post by Grunt2Grad » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:24 pm

I wanted to know how much value people already in law school would place on being walking distance to campus? I am getting ready to move closer to campus and am torn on how much more I should be willing to pay to live slightly closer to campus. I have a child that stays with me part time so a studio is not really an option.

Option 1:
2300/ month with utilities and place is furnished.
Would be about a 10 minute walk from front door to law school.
1 Bed/ 1 Bath

Option 2:
1700/ Month with utilities place is unfurnished
It is University housing for Grad Students and family housing.
2 Bed/ 2 Bath
Either about an hour total round trip daily commute by bus or about a 40 minute drive round trip by bus (It is only 5 miles from campus but traffic is brutal)

Both options are within my budget; however, the more expensive one puts me uncomfortably close to the upper end of that budget. I did my undergrad at the same school and commuted almost 2.5-3 hrs daily and the thought of being able to just walk to school seems really appealing but I am not sure it is $5-600/ month more appealing.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Re: Where to live?

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:33 pm

I really valued being extremely close to school during finals. The ability to easily come home for like a half hour and have dinner with the SO and then get back to a good study spot/meet with my study group was definitely worth it to me. The rest of the year it's merely convenience as you won't be terribly crunched for time on a consistent basis.

If you have good study spots around where you know you will get work done--I needed to force myself into the library to actually do anything--being close probably is not as valuable.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Personally, I think $2300 is outrageous. It's definitely not worth $600/month to be 5 miles closer. Even $1700 is a bit steep in my book, especially for students, and this is coming from someone in the NYC metro area. Are you really going to be coming and going so much during the day to justify living that much closer? You said you have a child. Save some of that extra $600 per month you'd be spending on rent for him.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Option 2 and sublet the 2nd BR.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm

I always mess up the quoting process so I am not even going to try.

I would love the added income of subletting the second bedroom but I do not want a stranger living in the house with my toddler when I have him (plus the ex would love to use something like that against me).

I personally do not think it is worth the additional money but have got conflicting opinions from people. As far as the pricing goes I may have over estimated a little to be safe. Rent at the 2 bedroom option is $1532 and that includes internet, cable, gas and water (I pay electric). The other option is 2000.00 with no utilities covered. But...Yes, I agree it is outrageous. I was commuting because I had a 3 bedroom home with a yard in a nice neighborhood for the same price but I just cant handle the 2-3 hrs a day on the 405 for another 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”