I keep going back and forth on LS. So does that mean I should hold off? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lillawyer2

Silver

Re: I keep going back and forth on LS. So does that mean I should hold off?

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:24 pm

celtslaw wrote:Dear god...OP, with that spelling please do yourself a favor and stay in finance.
Relax I'm on my phone. Fat fingers have a hard time here. It's not an excuse, but don't judge writing skills on an anonymous forum. I don't give a fuck and neither should you.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Even as somebody who wanted to be a lawyer for most of his life, I always felt that every single year you could put off starting law school was worth it. The three advantages of putting off law school are :

1. The economy gets a little better every year.
2. You have a little bit more of a nest egg to keep debt down.
3. you become that much more attractive to employers (up to, at least, your mid thirties).

Also, your moms wrong.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
chimp wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Have you considered pursuing an MBA degree ? Depending upon your location, there are some outstanding part-time programs & many employers reimburse tuition & books.

Any interest in getting a CPA designation or other financial profession degree/certification ?
WHy in the FUCK would you go into law when you have a finance background? Stay put with your chill ass job. If you want to grow and more importantly make money, do MBA.
I don't have a fiance background. I have a liberal arts background. I was just blessed to get my foot in the door through the CFO.
so it's safe to say you've never been engaged?
Engaged in what?

Lmao I just saw I spelled finance wrong. Ah fuck it...I'm trying to type on my phone fast without my boss seeing assuming I'm bored and give me extra work to do... I'm also on 4 hrs of sleep for the past 4 days...

So in short have pitty on me

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:30 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:biglaw fucking sucks. do you like working on weekends? do you like being "available" on vacations? do you like having 6 am and 9 pm calls because your client is on a different coast/somewhere in the world and does not care about you. do you like getting emails at 6pm about what needs to be done that day? do you like being told on tuesday at 5 pm you have to work travel the next day? cause all of that happens. you also forget anniversaries and then your SO is mad. your SO knows you make a lot of money so you have to do nice things (nice dinners, nicer gifts, nice living places), which is fun but sorta not when the only thing on your mind is saving up a lot of money to go do something, anything else. i check my bank account daily just thinking "do i have enough money saved up yet to convince my SO that a career change is feasible and we will be ok?"
I got all of this, but the only thing I took out of it is that you SO should be a little more considerate, no offense. You work your ass off and only sone one who works at that level can truly understand the strain on the body. Anyway your right 100%

celtslaw

New

Post by celtslaw » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:35 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
chimp wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Have you considered pursuing an MBA degree ? Depending upon your location, there are some outstanding part-time programs & many employers reimburse tuition & books.

Any interest in getting a CPA designation or other financial profession degree/certification ?
WHy in the FUCK would you go into law when you have a finance background? Stay put with your chill ass job. If you want to grow and more importantly make money, do MBA.
I don't have a fiance background. I have a liberal arts background. I was just blessed to get my foot in the door through the CFO.
so it's safe to say you've never been engaged?
Engaged in what?
So in short have pitty on me
lol keep trying buddy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

celtslaw

New

Post by celtslaw » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:37 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
celtslaw wrote:Dear god...OP, with that spelling please do yourself a favor and stay in finance.
Relax I'm on my phone. Fat fingers have a hard time here. It's not an excuse, but don't judge writing skills on an anonymous forum. I don't give a fuck and neither should you.
You do know that law school exams require typing extremely fast for 3+ hours, right? Your fat fingers and poor spelling skills may struggle with that.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:43 pm

celtslaw wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
You do know that law school exams require typing extremely fast for 3+ hours, right? Your fat fingers and poor spelling skills may struggle with that.
Eh, most professors don't seem to care about spelling. At least the ones that have multiple essays in three hours.

OP, keep your job. As a previous poster said, getting a few more years of work experience will only make you more enticing to law schools and law firms.

Use the next couple years to 1) figure out if you would rather work in finance or law 2) increase your LSAT 3) Save up some money and have fun

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:14 pm

celtslaw wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
Nope. Difference is now on my phone my fat fingers don't give a fuck...on the test they will

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Don't go!! (At least now right now)

Law school is very expensive and the job prospects are poor (both in the sense that there aren't many high paying jobs, and that so few people feel in those high paying jobs feel satisfied with their life). Your current jobs has some potential. Ride it out for a few years. See how you like it. Get a promotion, or jump to another company that will pay you more. If in 3-4 years from now you're happy with your job, then stay. If you're not, then its time to other options, including law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:11 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
mgschiet wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:I'm unnecessarily freaking out.
Bingo
I feel at 22, I should on some sort of career path.
nope

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:14 am

I'm going to have a talk with my boss today.

Basically, informing him about how I want to become a greater asset/play a bigger role. I'm very ambitious and I would like to know if you see any potential growth opportunities within finance.

I'll get back to you guys by this afternoon. I'll let you know what the boss said.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:36 am

celtslaw wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
celtslaw, do you take law school exams on your phone?

celtslaw

New

Post by celtslaw » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:57 am

stasg wrote:
celtslaw wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
celtslaw, do you take law school exams on your phone?
Typewriter

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mgschiet

New

Post by mgschiet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 am

jbagelboy wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
mgschiet wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:I'm unnecessarily freaking out.
Bingo
I feel at 22, I should on some sort of career path.
nope
Your 20s are for exploring the world around you and starting to figure out where the hell you fit into this madness. I'm 28 and one month away from 1L after spending the last 7 years on a completely different career path. Calm down and enjoy your life.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:11 am

this dude is pretty certainly trolling

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:19 am

Traynor Brah wrote:this dude is pretty certainly trolling

Unfortunately, your mom was trolling the world when she gave birth to you.

If only we had known we would have stopped her!

celtslaw

New

Post by celtslaw » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:30 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:

Mods

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:30 pm

op is like a mix between bearsgrl and darascal

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 pm

celtslaw wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Mods
Yes, please call the mods. Bite off more than you can chew. Someone wants to start calling out, well lets go!

Firm believer: don't start none won't be none.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:01 pm

please do not go to law school

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:

Knock it off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:please do not go to law school
Please do not advise me on anything.

Only come for me, if I send for you.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:13 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Even as somebody who wanted to be a lawyer for most of his life, I always felt that every single year you could put off starting law school was worth it. The three advantages of putting off law school are :

1. The economy gets a little better every year.
2. You have a little bit more of a nest egg to keep debt down.
3. you become that much more attractive to employers (up to, at least, your mid thirties).

Also, your moms wrong.

She's so dead set and she keeps pushing me. I believe she has no idea how it sort of drives me to find a established career asap.

I'm dead set on it too for a long term career, but I wanted to take time to find myself, but she hates the idea. I see her point. She doesn't want me to struggle, but I got to go at my own pace.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Well since you asked, and assuming you are not trolling: in all sincerity, I think it would be a very poor idea for you to attend law school given your current situation, opportunity cost, and reasons for wanting to attend. Also, as a future attorney who has an interest in there being as few self-described (and apparently bona fide) nutjobs in the profession as possible, I hope you do not attend.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:Well since you asked, and assuming you are not trolling: in all sincerity, I think it would be a very poor idea for you to attend law school given your current situation, opportunity cost, and reasons for wanting to attend. Also, as a future attorney who has an interest in there being as few self-described (and apparently bona fide) nutjobs in the profession as possible, I hope you do not attend.

le sigh

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”