Seton Hall OCI Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
john1990

Silver

Seton Hall OCI

Post by john1990 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:09 pm

0L here with a full scholarship. Would like to know how well I should do to be able to get a job at OCI that pays. I have no relevant work experience, I have only worked as a telemarketer. What is the lowest rank where I stand a good chance of getting an offer

fratstar1

Bronze

Re: Seton Hall OCI

Post by fratstar1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Your likely not going to get a paying job through Seton Hall's OCI. looks like 95% of students don't land big law - you might be able to work for a smaller firm that pays you 15$/hour.

thomch05

New

Post by thomch05 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:02 pm

fratstar1 wrote:Your likely not going to get a paying job through Seton Hall's OCI. looks like 95% of students don't land big law - you might be able to work for a smaller firm that pays you 15$/hour.
Dick

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:11 pm

are you kidding bro? Im at Boston College and my friends who didnt get big law work at firms making 15-17 an hour. Fuck you for thinking I'm trying to rag on anyone.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:13 pm

thomch05 wrote:
fratstar1 wrote:Your likely not going to get a paying job through Seton Hall's OCI. looks like 95% of students don't land big law - you might be able to work for a smaller firm that pays you 15$/hour.
Dick
This is actually closer to the truth than you may realize. OP, will you be living at home during school or will you be racking up living expenses? It seems like Seton Hall places less than 3/4ths of their students into Full-Time, Long Term (aka, longer than one year) employment where bar passage is required. Even with a full ride, if you're taking out cost of living loanss, that's $22,000 a year in loans (with interest) + lost opportunity costs for less than a 3/4 chance of a decent outcome (if a $50k a year job with $70k in debt is a "decent outcome").

If you are living at home, go ahead if you want--but I don't know if there's any "safe" rank barring being #1 in the class at Seton Hall.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:13 pm

What class rank should I am for to get a gig paying $15/hr

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:15 pm

runinthefront wrote:
thomch05 wrote:
Dick
This is actually closer to the truth than you may realize. OP, will you be living at home during school or will you be racking up living expenses? It seems like Seton Hall places less than 3/4ths of their students into Full-Time, Long Term (aka, longer than one year) employment where bar passage is required. Even with a full ride, if you're taking out cost of living loanss, that's $22,000 a year in loans (with interest) + lost opportunity costs for less than a 3/4 chance of a decent outcome (if a $50k a year job with $70k in debt is a "decent outcome").

If you are living at home, go ahead if you want--but I don't know if there's any "safe" rank barring being #1 in the class at Seton Hall.
Im on ssi for disability so I don't have to worry about living expenses

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 pm

For jobs that arent big law you should just aim to do as well as possible, minimize your debt and network in the practice area you want to be in. For smaller firms they will likely take a candidate who's demonstrated interest either by previously talking to them or having a relevant internship over a a couple of gpa points.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:19 pm

john1990 wrote:
Im on ssi for disability so I don't have to worry about living expenses

That's good to hear (not your disability--the fact that your living expenses will be covered) because it makes attending, at worst, three years of your life likely wasted if you don't end up with a decent job.

https://law.shu.edu/Admissions/upload/a ... duates.pdf

Here are the numbers. We can only speculate as to what class rank employers are looking for...but as you can see...wait. wait... is Seton Hall really placing 116 kids into state and locl clerkships??

OP I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that a good chunk of those kids doing clerkships will be unable to secure a fulltime job after completion. I wouldn't go if I were you but, like I said, there's really no "safe" rank so just gun hard and hope to have a job when you graduate
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:23 pm

NJ is weird though because of the way the clerkship system works alot of fresh grads snag these small court clerk jobs and then transition to a firm or government (usually ADA or PD).

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:28 pm

fratstar1 wrote:NJ is weird though because of the way the clerkship system works alot of fresh grads snag these small court clerk jobs and then transition to a firm or government (usually ADA or PD).
What is "a lot"?

110/116 kids?
100/116?
83/116?
65/116 kids?

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:29 pm

https://law.newark.rutgers.edu/files/Up ... ummary.pdf
RU-N has 65

https://camlaw.rutgers.edu/sites/camlaw ... -FINAL.pdf
RU-C has 98

I think its a pre-req for alot of other jobs in the NJ system I went to Rutgers undergrad and almost went to the law school and alot of attorneys I talked to practicing in Jersey explained how clerking is the jumping off point. tbh this is all anecdotal but I haven't heard of some weirdly large number of ex state clerks that couldn't find a job,(I feel like we would have heard about it given the 2-300 or so clerks coming out of NJ schools every year) although I certainly could be wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”