Loyola vs UCLA (Transfer) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SadButHappy

New

Loyola vs UCLA (Transfer)

Post by SadButHappy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:51 am

Hi all.

I finished my first year at loyola law school in the top 10% of my class, and have also graded on to all the law reviews at our school. I have lived in LA my whole life and don't have any plans to move... pretty sure I'll be in CALI for life. I have a scholarship at Loyola, so for tuition, I pay about 10,000 a year at Loyola

I was accepted into UCLA Law School, but I would have to pay sticker there. My whole thought on entering law school was to go into the school that would give me the highest amount of scholarship money. Its funny, actually, Pepperdine gave me even more money than loyola but their stip was top 50% and I was SO worried about not being in the top 50% and losing it that I went to Loyola. Smh.

I digress. My questions is what the TLS opinion is of what I should do. If I go to UCLA l would have to pay sicker for 2 years, coming up to about 100,000. I know everyone will be like well, DO YOU WANT BIG LAW? I don't know... I'm just a normal person, I don't know what is going to happen in the future and in the course of my life. I don't know if I am cut out for big law...

It was such an honor to be accepted into UCLA it's hard to pass up... but I just keep thinking back to, if I stay at Loyola I could one day choose to not be a lawyer and it would be fine.... I wouldn't have that 100k hanging over my head (then again that would be a terrible decision to make after spending 35k in tuition and fees and three years of my life yes of course)

I guess I am just very debt adverse. I can't imagine having 100k hanging over my head for the rest of my life. Just seems like so much money to me....

Anyways, let me know. I feel like if the most important thing is OCI... then I will probably be ok at loyola because i am in the top 10 % and on the loyola law review. But if it's more important down the line in my life, to have UCLA LAW on my resume instead of Loyola law..... maybe its worth it....

I am so conflicted.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”