How to Find a Good "ShitLaw" Lawyer? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

How to Find a Good "ShitLaw" Lawyer?

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:24 pm

How does one go about finding a good small law laywer?

So many advertise on TV, radio, the internet, etc., and have similar pitches. How do you know who to go with if you're not in the know?

Background: injured in auto accident by another party, who is lying and whose insurance company seems to want to put up a fight (at least at this point thus far - they could be bluffing for all I know). ...My case is solid, due to having a neutral bystander, corroborating witness on my side (the only witness in the case), but there are two very different stories being told (he said, she said...).

Anyhow, does anyone know if there are public records or other means of checking a small law lawyer's skills and win-loss record? I would be interested in getting a decent small law representative, but not wanting to overpay either. My case isn't that big (maybe around $10K total in medical bills), so I doubt a super good lawyer would necessarily pick me up or that it'd be worth it for me to pay for their services. Just looking for a good lawyer, who doesn't suck.

PPL

New

Re: How to Find a Good "ShitLaw" Lawyer?

Post by PPL » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:28 pm

unfortunately the damages may not be enough for a lawyer to want to touch the case

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 pm

PPL wrote:unfortunately the damages may not be enough for a lawyer to want to touch the case
Hmm, that sucks. I have a few weeks of physical therapy left, so the bills would probably be a few hundred more...but, yeah, probably gonna total out to be about $11K-ish. Thankfully, no permanent injuries, but still a temporarily sore and messed up back.

future!jd12

New

Post by future!jd12 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 pm

PPL wrote:unfortunately the damages may not be enough for a lawyer to want to touch the case

This is false.

I would use a website like avvo where the lawyers have reviews.
Last edited by future!jd12 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:33 pm

...doesn't your insurance want to hire a lawyer for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 pm

despina wrote:...doesn't your insurance want to hire a lawyer for you?
I think it goes through some kind of binding arbitration between the two companies (if one side isn't willing to pay). But I'm allowed to get my own lawyer.

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:37 pm

future!jd12 wrote:

This is false.

I would use a website like avvo where the lawyers have reviews.
Will check that out. Thanks.

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:39 pm

carlsenvshikaru wrote:
despina wrote:...doesn't your insurance want to hire a lawyer for you?
I think it goes through some kind of binding arbitration between the two companies (if one side isn't willing to pay). But I'm allowed to get my own lawyer.
To add to that, it's not lawyers who will represent me in that arbitration, but like some kind of claims representative/investigator type, from what I understand. I'm allowed to hire my own lawyer and sue if I want.
Last edited by Herky Jerky Slo Mo on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 pm

just get one from your school dude. as in, an alum of your law school. if he won't take you, he'll refer you to someone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:just get one from your school dude. as in, an alum of your law school. if he won't take you, he'll refer you to someone else.
0L :(

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 pm

oh. well just find a guy who won't gape you for 45% and seems like he's done your type of case a fair number of times & has some time to put into it.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:45 pm

carlsenvshikaru wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:just get one from your school dude. as in, an alum of your law school. if he won't take you, he'll refer you to someone else.
Are you enrolling in the fall? If so, you can still contact the school / career office and see if they'll refer you to an alum.

Also if you know any lawyers in the area, even if they don't do this type of work, they'll likely know somebody reputable who does.

I would take Avvo etc with a grain of salt -- to me it's just like tripadvisor / yelp. If there are consistently bad reviews, that's a good signal to avoid, and if there are a lot of consistently great reviews, it's a good signal to check it out. But for the 95% who have few reviews or mixed reviews, they could be great or not so great in general, or a great or not so great fit for you, and the complaints / compliments could be relevant or not for your case and working style preferences.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:46 pm

also where are you? I know a good shit lawyer in Texas

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:49 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:also where are you? I know a good shit lawyer in Texas
Nowhere near. But appreciate it, nonetheless.

Herky Jerky Slo Mo

Gold

Post by Herky Jerky Slo Mo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:56 pm

despina wrote:
carlsenvshikaru wrote:
Are you enrolling in the fall? If so, you can still contact the school / career office and see if they'll refer you to an alum.

Also if you know any lawyers in the area, even if they don't do this type of work, they'll likely know somebody reputable who does.

I would take Avvo etc with a grain of salt -- to me it's just like tripadvisor / yelp. If there are consistently bad reviews, that's a good signal to avoid, and if there are a lot of consistently great reviews, it's a good signal to check it out. But for the 95% who have few reviews or mixed reviews, they could be great or not so great in general, or a great or not so great fit for you, and the complaints / compliments could be relevant or not for your case and working style preferences.
Not this fall. haha.

Yeah, I agree with your take on Avvo, etc. That's why I was wondering if it was possible to find a lawyer's win-loss record type of thing on cases. I'll have to look around I guess. Spoke to two firms so far and was not very impressed. Honestly, the lawyer from one firm seemed like he was on drugs or hung over (or just lacked sleep in days - blood shot eyes and very slow in talking and would pause for unusually long periods of time when talking). The paralegal from the other firm seemed "desperate" and was hounding me with calls.

Figured you practicing lawyers or law students might know some tips for finding someone decent.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:59 pm

The tip is usually asking someone familiar with the area so you need to say where you are

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:59 pm

I know a good one in FL. Honestly most of the best ones work off primarily word of mouth and don't advertise much. You have to look hard to find them, ask around or look in legal directories.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:00 pm

I don't think a win-loss record is necessarily going to be instructive either -- if a lawyer only takes "easy" cases and wins them all, she's not necessarily going to be great for a challenging case, whereas a very experienced lawyer might have a lower "win" record because she will appropriately warn clients with weaker cases of the risks, then take those cases anyway when the client says to go ahead.

Definitely go with your gut with those two firms you talked to. You want to have confidence and trust in your lawyer.

If that paralegal was "hounding" you after you explicitly said you did not want to hire the lawyer, that could be a breach of professional ethics (soliciting someone's business by telephone after they've already told you "no" is a violation in my state). Not saying you necessarily need to report this lawyer to the board, but could be ammo to get them to leave you the hell alone the next time you get an annoying call.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:33 pm

be sure to avoid the ones that have aol, yahoo, or hotmail email addresses

King Dong

Bronze

Post by King Dong » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:54 pm

PIPRO @AOL.COM no worries

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”