High school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lalaslaptop

New

High school

Post by Lalaslaptop » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi, I am just newly entering High school, and my dream for the longest time was and still is to go to law school to become a lawyer, an attorney. So, I was looking in to Texas schools. I am looking more towards Austin, but Dallas would work too. Okay, so, do you have any tips or things to practice or read while I'm in high school? Any scholarship tips? Anything will help really. Thanks! Give me an email at: carolinethecupcake@gmail.com

KMart

Gold

Re: High school

Post by KMart » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:45 pm

Just go to high school and enjoy life for the next 4 years.

cbro

New

Post by cbro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Don't think about law school for a while. If there's one thing that actually does matter during high school pertaining to law school, make sure you get good grades in any classes that are dual enrollment (classes that you take at high school that count as CC classes). I took CC classes my sophomore year of high school that were included in my GPA I applied to law school with, and I desperately wish I could go back and do better in those classes. Beyond that, don't think about law school for 6 or so years
Last edited by cbro on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawdood

New

Post by Lawdood » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Lalaslaptop wrote:Hi, I am just newly entering High school, and my dream for the longest time was and still is to go to law school to become a lawyer, an attorney. So, I was looking in to Texas schools. I am looking more towards Austin, but Dallas would work too. Okay, so, do you have any tips or things to practice or read while I'm in high school? Any scholarship tips? Anything will help really. Thanks! Give me an email at: carolinethecupcake@gmail.com
It's great that you're thinking ahead but I advise you to not think about law school for the moment because your mind will most likely change.

You're starting high school which gives you a great opportunity to focus on your grades from the get-go (most people aren't mature at that time).Work hard, have fun and try to get into the best college that you can get into. If you still want to do law, you can, but if you change your mind, you'll have other fantastic job opportunities.

Good luck :D

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Pretty sure you're 12-13. So be 12-13.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rdawkins28

Bronze

Post by rdawkins28 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:11 pm

If you're in Texas, there might be plenty of opportunities for you to learn and experience law related activities. There's policy debate and mock trial. I advise a high school mock trial team and we have a lot of fun. Some kids learn really quickly that lawyering ain't their cup of tea. http://www.dallasbar.org/mocktrial

Some counties also have teen court in which the teens are judges of real cases, though it's mostly handing out community service hours to other teens who have plead guilty on various minor offenses. http://fortworthtexas.gov/municipalcourt/teen-court/

Then various counties have criminal justice practicum programs. I've had kids in the past year whose experiences included riding around with local constables on warrant round ups, manning the police switchboard, light court work, working with Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission to bust businesses that sell alcohol to minors, et cetera. This program was actually great in that they saw real situations. Many kids in this program change their thinking slightly after the experience. One decided to become a social worker. One flipped from wanting to defend criminal clients to wanting to be a prosecutor. Another wanted to do nothing with the legal profession. But all agreed that they had amazing experiences. http://djcc.lisd.net/apps/pages/index.j ... _ID=650741

Bottom line, you can have fun and learn at the same time. Finally, many Texas counties have programs for medicine, business, welding, cosmetology, auto repair, etc.

Good luck!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Get good grades so that you can go to college for free/as cheaply as possible.

Everything else doesn't matter much at this point.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Go to a top UG and skip law school

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Go to a top UG and skip law school
This. Start studying for the sat/getting extracurriculars.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:31 pm

I do not have a crystal ball, but by the time you become a lawyer, the legal market could be even more crowded and wages could be decreasing even more. Concentrate on the sciences and attend a top UG program. The legal field will most likely be barren before too long.

Times are a changing.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 am

No felonies.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:26 am

First Offense wrote:No felonies.
Misdemeanors are encouraged however

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”