Is there a way to find out OCI success rate? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Smoking Gunner

New

Is there a way to find out OCI success rate?

Post by Smoking Gunner » Tue May 05, 2015 8:20 am

Is there any way to see how many people participated in OCI and how many people received offers? Everything I've heard about OCI is basically: "if you're at a T-14, just don't be fat/awkward and at the bottom of the class, and you'll get a biglaw offer." But I'm wondering if there are actually any stats to back up statements like this. I'm personally most interested in NYU OCI success rate, but I'd be interested to see numbers for the whole T-14 if they're available.

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: Is there a way to find out OCI success rate?

Post by Clemenceau » Tue May 05, 2015 8:28 am

A complete list of t14 success will be hard to find, if it exists

I have seen a regular poster here mention that nyus oci success rate is something like 87% fwiw

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Tue May 05, 2015 8:34 am

Clemenceau wrote:A complete list of t14 success will be hard to find, if it exists

I have seen a regular poster here mention that nyus oci success rate is something like 87% fwiw
Oh, so it's disclosed to students at the school but not to the public?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue May 05, 2015 8:44 am

Plunder the Lox wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:A complete list of t14 success will be hard to find, if it exists

Oh, so it's disclosed to students at the school but not to the public?
Yep, that's my understanding.

Someone who has actually gone through oci should feel free to clarify though. I'm also interested in hearing about oci success rates.

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Very helpful everyone, thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Yeah, I'd love to hear about this stuff too but it's guarded closely.

I think generally at a school like NYU you would be fine as long as you don't bid poorly, get unlucky, and/or have some other significant strikes against you.

It would be good info to know how schools place generally but of course it should be taken with the appropriate amount of salt. Even if you find out that the number is precisely 87% or whatever that number doesn't necessarily correspond to your own chances. You could be hovering close to 100%, or close to 0%, depending on a number of factors. And if one school was 87% and another was 91%, that 4% difference should be a tie breaker way, way down on the list of tiebreakers, somewhere below the quality of the law school bathrooms and coffee stand and somewhere above the coolness of the University's mascot.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue May 05, 2015 4:05 pm

CLS has ranged from 85-92% in recent years. That doesn't include people who get offers through mass mailing before OCI, which is becoming more of a thing now. It also doesn't include people who strike out but get an offer in the fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”