Law school or not? Is it that bad? T2 Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
adespair

New

Law school or not? Is it that bad? T2

Post by adespair » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm sort of new on this forum but I've decided to attend Florida State law school, I volunteered at a few firms and got a little grasp at how lawyers do their job. I also will have no debt throughout law school because my parents urged that they will pay off any expenses. I'm still worried about the job outcomes as all I see on this forum is basically the statement that if your'e not in a top 15 school, to not bother. I find this is something I really want to do, but am really second guessing myself, as I do not want to come out of law school and sit for years without any prospects for a job. Are all the negativity about job prospects really that bad that one in a T2 should not even consider law school? Sorry for spelling errors, I'm on my phone.

Please do not sugarcoat your answer, be as real as you can with me.
Last edited by adespair on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Law school or not? Is it that bad? T2

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 pm

There's a decent chance you'll graduate without a full time legal job from Florida State. Check out the numbers here:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/fsu/ABA/2013/

You can also find more detailed salary information here (scroll to the bottom):

http://archive.law.fsu.edu/placement/em ... _data.html

Even 9 months after graduation, only about 70% of the class of 2013 had a full time, JD-required position. There's a real chance you could fall in to that 30%. If that's too much for you to handle, retake the LSAT and go somewhere better, especially if your parents are paying regardless.

If being in Florida and making 40-50k working for a local government office or a small firm with fewer than 10 attorneys is your goal, FSU is a reasonable choice, especially if you'll graduate with no debt. But, again, there is a real chance you won't ever use your law degree. That's just the risk that unfortunately exists from most law schools.

PublicInterest2018

New

Post by PublicInterest2018 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:04 pm

Regardless of what you decide, I suggest mastering the difference between there and their before you go.

adespair

New

Post by adespair » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 pm

1.Thanks for the advice Tiago

2. It was my phone public

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”