. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lacrossebrother

Platinum

Re: Want to be a quantum physicist. But 0 debt BigLaw tempts me.

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Do law at a place that pays you 80 doing exactly what you want.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 pm

fats provolone wrote:if you decide you like law after all you can just become an expert witness and make 100x/hr more than a biglaw associate
This is the most underrated post in this thread. Being an expert witness is more lucrative than being a biglaw attorney (unless you happen to make equity partner at a biglaw firm, but lol @ you if you think that's a realistic goal). In addition, being an expert witness is really fucking cool. You get to work at home in your pajamas until trial. Trial admittedly sucks, but it's worth it because you get to bill a shitload of hours during trial (and some experts have even higher rates for trial work than non-trial work). Some of the happiest, chillest people I've ever met are expert witnesses. It's a shame more smart science people don't know about this option, because I think a lot more of them would do it.

Moreover, you don't even have to be that great at testifying to make it as an expert. You can get most (or all) of your money doing consulting work for law firms. I know consulting experts who have made over half a million (gross) on one case over the course of a few months. I know this because I was the one who submitted all of their hours to our client for payment.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:39 pm

if i could go back in time to before i applying to LS i would get an econ phd and do patent damages expert work. 100% no question about it. that door's probably permanently closed now, though.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:41 pm

fats provolone wrote:if i could go back in time to before i applying to LS i would get an econ phd and do patent damages expert work. 100% no question about it. that door's probably permanently closed now, though.
I'd think having the JD makes you less credible

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:43 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
fats provolone wrote:if i could go back in time to before i applying to LS i would get an econ phd and do patent damages expert work. 100% no question about it. that door's probably permanently closed now, though.
I'd think having the JD makes you less credible
yea it's basically a nonstarter. i could maybe do validity or licensing work but those guys usually have many, many years of experience as patent attorneys which is what i'm trying to avoid in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:46 pm

A general rule of thumb is that fields where there are a shitload of people trying to do the same exact fucking thing (i.e., the legal field) are not going to be as lucrative/enjoyable as fields that are more obscure where there's almost no one competing with you (i.e., the expert witness field).

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm

i'm gonna start a company that just hires out contract attorneys to write discovery correspondence

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:49 pm

Some of the most ballin professors at my school, including posner, started an econ consulting firm in the 70s and are all now millionaires because of it.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:50 pm

idea #2: a call center of contract attorneys that do meet and confers for you. gotomeetandconfer.com

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:50 pm

fats provolone wrote:idea #2: a call center of contract attorneys that do meet and confers for you. gotomeetandconfer.com
Would you refer to your company as the uber for attorneys?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:52 pm

fats provolone wrote:idea #2: a call center of contract attorneys that do meet and confers for you. gotomeetandconfer.com

unemployable

New

Post by unemployable » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Last edited by unemployable on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:28 pm

counting $s is a dumb metric. $ is useless except to the extent it buys QOL. you have to consider the trade-offs.

also you might not get biglaw and even if you do are unlikely to stay more than a few years.

re: expert witness/consulting, you will need work exp in field first. so take the lab job and more doors will open down the road. law school is a door that never closes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 pm

I attend a state school in the south right now. My understanding is that it is very difficult to make it to Wall Street without going to one of the "right" schools.
Aren't they going to pay for your PhD at MIT/Harvard? If physics is what you want to do, take the job. They hire quants out of MIT/Harvard if you decide that you just want the money.
Maybe I can take the job and shoot for an M7 MBA later? But I have no idea if I have the credentials to get into an M7 MBA program. Law school is easy because you just need a GPA and an LSAT. I dont know what sort of "softs" Ill need for B-School. That's kinda why I wrote off quant/banking as an option.

Well, a lack of knowledge about other options available you is probably the worst reason to go to law school. Take job. Live in a Boston for a couple of years. Network. Figure out how you're going to make your fortune.

unemployable

New

Post by unemployable » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Last edited by unemployable on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unemployable

New

Post by unemployable » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Last edited by unemployable on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:56 pm

work experience is never bad. ipsecure is a thing but most ppl have work experience so i wouldn't count on it. you also don't know how patent will look in 3-4 yrs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:21 pm

unemployable wrote:Allright my UG softs are weak - idk if that matters though. I'll have to look into whether working at the lab for 2-3 years will be the sort of work experience that could get me into an M7 if I've got a high GMAT score. But I guess youre referring to my career alternatives in general and not just the MBA here, so yeah, I should probably do some more research.
I wouldn't worry about your "softs." You should have plenty of time to explore extracurricular interests while working at Lincoln. And its not like you're locked into work for Lincoln for the rest of your life. There are plenty of opportunities in Boston. After a year maybe you leave to work at a tech startup or join an IP firm to work as a patent agent. All of this will look good for a B-school app. Just give yourself a chance to see what your options are.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”