Undergrad Employment/intern. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LSATgotrocked

New

Undergrad Employment/intern.

Post by LSATgotrocked » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 pm

The title says it all. In 4th year of undergrad and have been interested in working as an intern at a law office. Do undergrads actually have a chance at employment as an intern and if so do you have any other suggestions on how I could go about doing this?

smiles123

Bronze

Re: Undergrad Employment/intern.

Post by smiles123 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Figure out what type of law you're interested in and contact the local offices. I interned at two different law offices as an undergrad and loved the work at both. One was a local DAs office and the other was a private firm. However, both were unpaid. If you're looking for a paid internship things are a little trickier...

thefive

New

Re: Undergrad Employment/intern.

Post by thefive » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Its possible, but don't expect to get any substantial work. I don't assume that you will think it will be easy either.

I had a few friends who 'got lucky' and started in law firms before their degrees. Usually as some kind of general assistant, run around person, office clerk or secretary. I know it probably isn't helpful for you in this market, but they emailed out a lot of resumes.

I think it is a good idea too. If you get your foot in the door, the chances are that the firm will fill any other more substantial but still junior tasks with you as you spend more time with the firm.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”