Nah Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lions1913

Bronze

Nah

Post by Lions1913 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Last edited by Lions1913 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FutureSuperLawyer

New

Re: Trial Firms

Post by FutureSuperLawyer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Wachtell Lipton
Quinn Emanuel
Boies Schiller
Susman Godfrey
Kirkland & Ellis
Sullivan & Cromwell
Keker & Van Nest

Susman Godfrey only interviews people who have clerked for a federal judge so you can't join right out of law school.

You'll spend years doing support work for people arguing pointless motions at all of them. Actually arguing in court is something you won't do without years of experience. Your first few years you will be researching pointless motions. If you don't get fired, after two or three years you'll be writing the first draft of pointless motions. If you make partner, which most people don't, and you prove yourself you'll get to argue motion.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're fairly unfamiliar with what associates actually do, when you distinguish between "substantive [trial] work" and "drafting pointless motions."
I am aware of the incredible opportunities through the government, but it seems like getting a job at the DOJ or another department depends on grades and clerkships, not necessarily specific law school.
Careful with this other department business. Local PDs/DAs might appear in court a lot, but there are also a lot of government attorneys that serve purely advisory roles. Something tells me you're the kind of person that'd rather bleed out in a bathtub than do the latter.
Retake is not an option.
If you have something like a 174/3.2, that may be true. But for ALMOST EVERYONE who says retaking isn't an option, it isn't. Preemptively, retake.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:04 pm

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:argue
Wait a second, aren't you that guy?

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:19 am

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:Wachtell Lipton
Quinn Emanuel
Boies Schiller
Susman Godfrey
Kirkland & Ellis
Sullivan & Cromwell
Keker & Van Nest

Susman Godfrey only interviews people who have clerked for a federal judge so you can't join right out of law school.

You'll spend years doing support work for people arguing pointless motions at all of them. Actually arguing in court is something you won't do without years of experience. Your first few years you will be researching pointless motions. If you don't get fired, after two or three years you'll be writing the first draft of pointless motions. If you make partner, which most people don't, and you prove yourself you'll get to argue motion.
Without reading that crap again, I'm pretty sure every statement you made is completely wrong

And this list is not trial firms. (S&C wtf??)

If you really, really want to be a trial attorney, go to a TTT on scholly and become work at the DA/PD/small firm (med mal, PI, etc).

Everything else will either not go to trial (the above firms), or is a pipe dream (plaintiffs firms, e.g. Altschuler Berzon)

I also understand Pharma IP litigators go to trial more often if you can get into that. Probably also more likely to argue something if you wanna go trolling for someone like Desmarais (again unlikely)

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:56 am

GOATlawman wrote:
FutureSuperLawyer wrote:Wachtell Lipton
Quinn Emanuel
Boies Schiller
Susman Godfrey
Kirkland & Ellis
Sullivan & Cromwell
Keker & Van Nest

Without reading that crap again, I'm pretty sure every statement you made is completely wrong

And this list is not trial firms. (S&C wtf??)

If you really, really want to be a trial attorney, go to a TTT on scholly and become work at the DA/PD/small firm (med mal, PI, etc).

Everything else will either not go to trial (the above firms), or is a pipe dream (plaintiffs firms, e.g. Altschuler Berzon)

I also understand Pharma IP litigators go to trial more often if you can get into that. Probably also more likely to argue something if you wanna go trolling for someone like Desmarais (again unlikely)
To be fair, while the guy's list of trial boutique firms is inaccurate, his description of the boutique trial firms within the world of big-stakes corporate law is actually correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”