Questions about George Mason Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
law_dawg18

New

Questions about George Mason Law

Post by law_dawg18 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi all,
I took the LSAT two weeks ago and am anxiously awaiting my score. I received an email from George Mason law this afternoon and, upon looking into it, am interested in applying. I have a few questions based on the TLS profile of the school:

How intense is student life? TLS paints a fairly strong picture.
also
Can somebody explain the conservative reputation of the University? As a fairly moderate but left-of-center student who's grown up in the deep South, this isn't a huge concern for me but I don't want to attend a school where one political culture is noticeably dominant. Especially one I don't fall into.

Any insight is appreciated. I will be spending next semester (January-May) in DC and am planning on visiting the DC area law schools before my time there is up.

whitespider

Silver

Re: Questions about George Mason Law

Post by whitespider » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:10 am

(1) All law schools have liberal students and conservative students. Sure, Regent law will have more conservatives and Berkley will have more liberals, but it really shouldn't matter.

(2) Less than half of George Mason graduates have long-term full-time JD positions nine months after graduation. (http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gmu/2013/)

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:29 am

What about George Mason jumps out at you? It's a mediocre regional school in a region it sounds like you don't have ties to, unless you consider northern Virginia "the deep south." DC itself is a market thoroughly saturated with grads from better schools. Even in northern Virginia, it doesn't place well, as whitespider pointed out. If your goal is to get into the DC market, you'll need to go to a much better school to have a realistic shot.

Just wondering what about it you find appealing. It seems like it's pretty clearly the wrong choice for you.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 am

The TLS law school profiles should really be removed.

FSK

Platinum

Check out top-law-schools.com

Post by FSK » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:20 am

Check out top-law-schools.com

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”