Is it too early for outlining? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crisgcia

New

Is it too early for outlining?

Post by crisgcia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:44 pm

So fall break rolled around and I thought that since I didn't understand too much, I'd start on the outlines for my classes. The stuff takes so long to complete though that I feel like I'm not gonna finish by the time actual finals roll around. When was the best time to start outlining for you?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Is it too early for outlining?

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:46 pm

yep too early. If you don't understand stuff read the E&Es or something but outlines are p worthless at this point

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:46 pm

You should be outlining and updating the outline every week or two weeks at the most.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:53 pm

You won't get a consensus on this

Just keep in mind that whoever says you should be outlining right now is wrong

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:You won't get a consensus on this

It may be that different things work for different people, but I would say no one should give advice on this unless they're at least top 5% if not higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You won't get a consensus on this

It may be that different things work for different people, but I would say no one should give advice on this unless they're at least top 5% if not higher.
Why?

I made a jokie out of it. But I do think it's too early. Don't neccessarily think there is anything wrong with rereading notes and cutting the fat a bit. And maybe that is what it means to start outling. So maybe I do agree?

I definitely don't think anyone needs to start until November as that is where the big picture starts to be seen a bit more from my experience. It's still kind of on the early side IMO.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Different things work for different people. I was never able to see the big picture in any of my classes 1L year until I started outlining and was forced to put it all together. So I started going through my notes and making outlines at around this time in the year. But other people waited and also did well. There really is no one size fits all answer for law school. So, OP, I'd just do what makes you feel comfortable.

butlerraider1

Bronze

Post by butlerraider1 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:06 pm

FWIW, my friend finished top 1% of his class and he updated his outline after every major unit, and that's what I've been doing. I'm doing it just because I know how overwhelmed I would be if I saved all of the outlining for the end of the semester, but I do see the advantages in doing so. Overall though it is one of those things where different techniques work for different people, so do what makes you comfortable.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:50 pm

butlerraider1 wrote:FWIW, my friend finished top 1% of his class and he updated his outline after every major unit, and that's what I've been doing. I'm doing it just because I know how overwhelmed I would be if I saved all of the outlining for the end of the semester, but I do see the advantages in doing so. Overall though it is one of those things where different techniques work for different people, so do what makes you comfortable.
Like almost everything else do what works for you. I used this strategy outlining really early and finished around top 3%. I could have outlined later and it probably wouldn't have made any difference. Focus on learning how to master a law exam.

Tiny Dancer

New

Post by Tiny Dancer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:26 pm

I knew that I was the sort of person who'd do better outlining early, but I listened to a couple of people who told me to wait. I did okay, but I never want to have to scramble the way I had to again. If you want to outline now, go ahead and do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”