Stanford c/o 2017ers taking Questions! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Instinctive

Bronze

Re: Stanford c/o 2017ers taking Questions!

Post by Instinctive » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 am

lc39 wrote:Extracurricular/social activities you enjoyed/regretted/regretted not participating in during your 1L year? I don't want to overextend myself and I have a couple in mind already but I'm just interested to hear what y'all experienced.
I also regretted journal. Feel free to PM for some additional advice on this if desired.

I'd have gotten more involved with SESLA early on. I was really glad I found a group of people to go play sports with and blow off steam that way. It's pretty easy to join up at the entry level of a bunch of student activities and such and then slowly drop the ones that end up not being a fit.

If you're interested in Crim stuff I know the student org for Criminal Law is a really good one. I think SLA is a really good way to get to meet a lot of people quickly, and everyone I know who got involved stayed involved (which I take as a good sign).

Bottom line: everyone knows 1Ls have a really tough first quarter. Nobody asks much of you in that quarter, except maybe journals. The winter and spring are the times to really ramp up your involvement and decide what you want for next year.

Last consideration: think about what you want on your resume for 2L OCI and for 1L job search. It's not a dealbreaker or maker, but it was something that I got asked about in a number of interviews. "Oh I see you are in ___, I did that too, how do you like it?" Those type of easy, rapport-building questions are nice to have when trying to get into an interview rhythm.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:35 am

But don't believe the people who say you'll get all kinds of questions in interviews about journal or that it helps get on law review. Maybe marginal help for the latter, but just read the bluebook instead. And I was asked about pro bono and other activities way more. Oh yeah: Do pro bono.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:02 am

+1 to wishing I didn't do journal. Not worth the time, especially near finals.

chaitealatte

New

Post by chaitealatte » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Last edited by chaitealatte on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Classes don't start till Sep 21 but it's a great campus so do wander around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:57 pm

hdunlop wrote:Classes don't start till Sep 21 but it's a great campus so do wander around.
I mean there are 1L classes I'm sure you could sit in on.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Forgot about 1lols.

Absolutely go to one. Ask admissions.

chaitealatte

New

Post by chaitealatte » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:00 am

Last edited by chaitealatte on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:08 am

They've been crazy busy apparently so I wouldn't take it personally. Maybe reach out in the c/o 2018 thread and see if someone will sneak you in? They don't credential visitors or anything so as long as you know where to actually show up and sit it should be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:46 am

Hello all, bumping this thread for C/O 2019 as decisions start to come out! Hopefully everyone will continue being as helpful as they have been over the first 7 pages :D

I've got a ton of questions, so I apologize in advance for the number. It looks like I might have a work conflict for ASW so there is a good chance I won't be able to make it. Hope to visit at some other point but if not figure TLS is probably the best place to get responses!

1) Are singles in Munger possible/likely? How much more expensive are they? Have they fixed the wifi/cell reception there yet?
2) For those of you on the east coast, how many times a year are you flying back/how much are you spending on plane tickets a year?
3) Does anyone have anything positive to say about secondary journals? lol
4) How does law review selection work?
5) Might be hard for current students to talk about it, but can anyone talk a bit about LRAP, specifically in comparison to LIPP/COAP? Does it cover clerkships?
6) How are the gym facilities? In general does the student body live a pretty active/outdoorsy lifestyle?
7) Can anybody talk specifically about the Rule of Law Program/Afghan Legal Ed Project/Int'l Human Rights and Conflict Res clinic?
8) A bit of a weird question, but are there any language clubs? Maybe not in the LS, but in the university in general that you could join. Not looking for classes, more like informal meet ups once a week or so to maintain language skills.
9) Can anyone talk about study abroad as a 3L, specifically at the 6 universities SLS partners with? If you're thinking about clerking right out, would going abroad be detrimental because you miss out on doctrinals? Or does the quarter system help mitigate this to some extent?
10) Are there any other opportunities that I'm missing that can get you abroad as a student?
11) I noticed that if you buy a laptop through the bookstore they will add that to your financial aid package... anyone take advantage of this? Almost seems too good to be true lol

Realize this is a ton, and some of the questions are somewhat inconsequential but still appreciate any and all responses! The thought of possibly having to commit without going to ASW slightly stresses me out, but then again I'm completely infatuated with SLS so its sort of like committing to a relationship with Jennifer Lawrence without having ever met her... pretty safe bet :D

Sheldor

New

Post by Sheldor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:26 pm

I'm a 1L so a lot of these questions go straight over my head but I'll take a crack at the ones I can
jetsfan1 wrote:
1) Are singles in Munger possible/likely? How much more expensive are they? Have they fixed the wifi/cell reception there yet?
I don't think there are singles; just studios. But I know people who got them after being admitted in May/June in my year so take that for what it's worth. The Munger housing rates chart for this year is herehttp://rde-stanford-edu.s3.amazonaws.co ... sChart.pdf. A standard studio will run you about $250 more ($1700 v. $1446 for a 2 bedroom) and a premium one about ~$350 more ($1822/month). I don't think so. I get very little cell reception though my wifi's been pretty solid! Darn stone walls... :D
jetsfan1 wrote: 2) For those of you on the east coast, how many times a year are you flying back/how much are you spending on plane tickets a year?
I'll probably be flying back 3-4 times between breaks and heading back for some events. No idea how much my other tickets will cost but I'd ballpark around $1300 give or take. I've also jumped on the frequent flier bandwagon so I think that'll start paying off soon (hopefully).

jetsfan1 wrote: 3) Does anyone have anything positive to say about secondary journals? lol
My theory is that c/o 2017 had such a terrible experience with secondarys that they really put time/effort into making the process better for my year (thank you!). I know there were still a few horror stories but it seems like the experience was a lot better. Personally I didn't have any complaints and it helped me meet 2/3Ls and learn how to bluebook.
jetsfan1 wrote: 4) How does law review selection work?
Someone else can definitely answer this one better but it's entirely write-on with literally no grades component.
jetsfan1 wrote: Might be hard for current students to talk about it, but can anyone talk a bit about LRAP, specifically in comparison to LIPP/COAP? Does it cover clerkships?
Only part of this question I can answer is to say that clerking is definitely not covered unless you go to PI after.
jetsfan1 wrote: How are the gym facilities? In general does the student body live a pretty active/outdoorsy lifestyle?
Fantastic- lots of gyms here (strangely all with the same name). A little bit of a rush after New Year's and I generally would avoid peak times, but new gyms with a decent amount of space imo.

Also yes, one of the more fit student bodies I've seen. There's pretty much always someone on a run/bike when I walk outside. Given all the outdoorsy stuff to do around this area, I would say a lot of people take advantage of them.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks a ton Sheldor! Spent all day reading up on SLS. Didn't think it could seem sweeter, but somehow it does.

And no thank you for the Munger studio lol. I like living alone but not that much.

If anyone else wants to chime in on some of the other Qs would be great!

Also, any idea about what percentage of the class tries to write on/what changes they made to make secondaries more manageable? Was it mostly just changing the timeline so it didn't clash with exams?

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 pm

Also a 1L, happy to chime in. Feel free to PM anytime with questions as well.
jetsfan1 wrote:
Don't know anything about this, sorry. I live in EV because Munger is too rich for my blood. Our apt (I live with my SO) is a 1BR for $1800ish I think (utilities and internet inclusive). The Kennedy or EV studios might be worth looking into if you like living alone. In general housing is hella expensive but on-campus stuff is significantly subsidized compared to market prices.
jetsfan1 wrote: 3) Does anyone have anything positive to say about secondary journals? lol
Didn't do one and it seems like the right call for me personally. The 2Ls and 3Ls I spoke to universally hated it. My friends who are on journal now also dislike it.
jetsfan1 wrote: Might be hard for current students to talk about it, but can anyone talk a bit about LRAP, specifically in comparison to LIPP/COAP? Does it cover clerkships?
COAP seems better if you hate being a lawyer and want to get out (you can use it for non-legal jobs IIRC). LIPP (I think) covers academia, ours doesn't. Comparing these programs using the materials the schools publish will probably be more helpful. That or calling the schools to ask specific questions. I'm not planning on relying on LRAP so it wasn't a factor in my decision. For law students with high-earning partners/future spouses, you may want to research the effect their income will have on your LRAP payments/eligibility.
jetsfan1 wrote: How are the gym facilities? In general does the student body live a pretty active/outdoorsy lifestyle?
I don't personally live a super active lifestyle but Stanford is a pretty active/fit campus, I'd say. Plenty of people run, lift, hike, etc.
jetsfan1 wrote: A bit of a weird question, but are there any language clubs? Maybe not in the LS, but in the university in general that you could join. Not looking for classes, more like informal meet ups once a week or so to maintain language skills.
I think there are some people trying to get a French/Spanish exchange going and I'm sure those kinds of groups exist within the university. Hopefully someone else can provide more specific information.
jetsfan1 wrote: I noticed that if you buy a laptop through the bookstore they will add that to your financial aid package... anyone take advantage of this? Almost seems too good to be true lol
Pretty sure they'll "increase your aid package" as in make an additional loan available to you, not give you any more scholarship aid. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong about this though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:02 am

You're not

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:43 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:Hello all, bumping this thread for C/O 2019 as decisions start to come out! Hopefully everyone will continue being as helpful as they have been over the first 7 pages :D

I've got a ton of questions, so I apologize in advance for the number. It looks like I might have a work conflict for ASW so there is a good chance I won't be able to make it. Hope to visit at some other point but if not figure TLS is probably the best place to get responses!

Likely? Not sure. Do they exist? I know of single people without roommates. Here's a link for details: https://rde.stanford.edu/studenthousing/rates-billing

Cell reception is spotty for me at some peoples' apartments, never had any internet issues.

2) For those of you on the east coast, how many times a year are you flying back/how much are you spending on plane tickets a year?
3) Does anyone have anything positive to say about secondary journals? lol
No.
4) How does law review selection work?
Write-on at end of 1L.
5) Might be hard for current students to talk about it, but can anyone talk a bit about LRAP, specifically in comparison to LIPP/COAP? Does it cover clerkships?
6) How are the gym facilities? In general does the student body live a pretty active/outdoorsy lifestyle?
I'm up there a lot, especially playing basketball. They aren't overly nice or anything, but they are nice. Bball courts don't have AC though. Means hella cold in December, and hella hot in August/September.
7) Can anybody talk specifically about the Rule of Law Program/Afghan Legal Ed Project/Int'l Human Rights and Conflict Res clinic?
8) A bit of a weird question, but are there any language clubs? Maybe not in the LS, but in the university in general that you could join. Not looking for classes, more like informal meet ups once a week or so to maintain language skills.
9) Can anyone talk about study abroad as a 3L, specifically at the 6 universities SLS partners with? If you're thinking about clerking right out, would going abroad be detrimental because you miss out on doctrinals? Or does the quarter system help mitigate this to some extent?
10) Are there any other opportunities that I'm missing that can get you abroad as a student?
11) I noticed that if you buy a laptop through the bookstore they will add that to your financial aid package... anyone take advantage of this? Almost seems too good to be true lol
I mean it's just more loan money you have to take out. Not like it's a deal or anything.

Realize this is a ton, and some of the questions are somewhat inconsequential but still appreciate any and all responses! The thought of possibly having to commit without going to ASW slightly stresses me out, but then again I'm completely infatuated with SLS so its sort of like committing to a relationship with Jennifer Lawrence without having ever met her... pretty safe bet :D
I committed and it was the only school I seriously considered that I DIDN'T visit (I visited Duke, HLS, YLS, Chicago, Texas, couple others I think). It's pretty sweet out here.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:44 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:Thanks a ton Sheldor! Spent all day reading up on SLS. Didn't think it could seem sweeter, but somehow it does.

And no thank you for the Munger studio lol. I like living alone but not that much.

If anyone else wants to chime in on some of the other Qs would be great!

Also, any idea about what percentage of the class tries to write on/what changes they made to make secondaries more manageable? Was it mostly just changing the timeline so it didn't clash with exams?
I think we had about half the class try, and about half of that got on. I didn't try so can't be much more helpful than that.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:45 am

Thanks all for the responses! Very helpful :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:51 pm

That SLR estimate sounds right to me.

I really disliked my secondary journal experience. It's difficult doing that stuff 1L because no matter how you slice it the work is going to feel dumb and annoying. The problem was compounded by poor communication about what we were doing and when and why. The best advice I got on this front was that it's not actually that much of a time commitment--and it really isn't--but it nonetheless exacts a relatively high psychic cost because it comes when you've got a million other things that feel (and, for your purposes at least, are) less meaningless to do.

I was in off the waitlist and didn't visit. Like the above poster it was the only school I didn't visit. Still, I didn't have to think that hard about it and have literally never once even wondered about whether I should regret the decision.

4thand9

Bronze

Post by 4thand9 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Sheldor wrote:
Extremely helpful response to JetsFans's questions
Thanks for this, very helpful.

In your experience, how common was it for 1L's to live with SO's in Munger despite not being engaged? If that worked at all. I'm considering the differences between EV and Munger, so the more info the better! Thanks in advance!

Sheldor

New

Post by Sheldor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:53 am

4thand9 wrote:
In your experience, how common was it for 1L's to live with SO's in Munger despite not being engaged? If that worked at all. I'm considering the differences between EV and Munger, so the more info the better! Thanks in advance!
I can't say I know exactly why but most of the people I know with SO's tend to be in EV (Escondido Village) if they're living on campus. I would at hazard guess it's a combination of Stanford having more SO housing there plus maybe them preferring not to live in the dorm-like atmosphere that Munger can sometimes have. I do know some people living with their SOs in Munger though- doesn't seem to be much of a problem for them.

As far as the differences from what I can tell:

Munger Pros- literally next to the law school, best location you can get. I can get up 10 minutes before class and still make it on time. I would say it's the nicest housing I saw from any law school by far and probably played a bigger role in my decision than it should have. You'll also be closer to everyone else and get to sort of share the 1L experience with people. Idk about EV but the Munger events are pretty great with the free food and such.

Cons- literally next to the law school. Some days I feel like I can't escape the bubble since I just walk from my apartment to the law school/library and back then repeat. It's also more expensive and can be loud at times with undergrad dorms across the street and sometimes people just being loud in general.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:34 am

Been skimming the Harvard Students Answering Questions thread and it seems like registering for classes is an absolute pain - ranking them, having to strategically choose said rank based on class popularity, and then often waiting out wait lists as well. Just curious if someone could describe the process at SLS. How often will you not get a class/professor you want?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:40 am

4thand9 wrote:
Sheldor wrote:

I live in EV with my SO (also not engaged, nowhere near engaged) and it's mostly a cost thing. Munger 1BD is ~2400/month and my 1BD is ~1800.

It's also nice to be a little bit removed from the law school. I really wish we had a dishwasher though!

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:04 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:Been skimming the Harvard Students Answering Questions thread and it seems like registering for classes is an absolute pain - ranking them, having to strategically choose said rank based on class popularity, and then often waiting out wait lists as well. Just curious if someone could describe the process at SLS. How often will you not get a class/professor you want?

The vast majority of classes are open enrollment and you just sign up online. The few classes that are capped are either lottery classes or consent of instructor classes. For what it's worth, I've only had to enter the lottery twice (and one of those was for a study abroad spring break trip), and I'll probably enter it again for my last quarter. I'm more transactional oriented though, so this may not be true for more litigation oriented classes (though I'm pretty sure it is).

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:18 am

People tend to get in from waitlists if they really want. If you're really, really committed to something, I doubt there's even exceptions. The problem here is there's fewer options than HLS I think so you can end up with schedule conflicts, or clinic against the only time a class is offered, etc. But it's manageable.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:56 pm

lc39 wrote:
4thand9 wrote:
Sheldor wrote:

I live in EV with my SO (also not engaged, nowhere near engaged) and it's mostly a cost thing. Munger 1BD is ~2400/month and my 1BD is ~1800.

It's also nice to be a little bit removed from the law school. I really wish we had a dishwasher though!
Also live with my SO, also not engaged. We decided EV over Munger because of:
1. Cost
2. Location - Sheldor did a great job with the pros and cons above. If you're a joint degree, EV is also much closer to the B-School.
3. Availability - it's harder to get into Munger. We took what we could get rather than try and get off a waitlist into Munger.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”