Does being a non-traditional student hurt you? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
top14dreamer

New

Does being a non-traditional student hurt you?

Post by top14dreamer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:03 pm

I have an LSAT score in the 170s and a gpa above 3.0, and am aiming to get into the best school that I can (am hoping for T-14) but whether I do land T-14 or close to it, I still have a goal (or dream) if you will of trying to be at least in the Top 5 or 10 percent of my class to strive to transfer up (though the school I attend I will be happy with graduating at)

But I was just curious.....When law schools, look at transfer aps, is it school ranking and percent they look at? Or does it weigh against you if you are 30 years old and not a (22-25) year old?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Does being a non-traditional student hurt you?

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:37 am

I don't know, but I can't think of a reason they'd care.

Also, you'll get into the T14 as is for sure. Just watch that debt.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:01 am

Unless you have academic/political aspirations AND the other school offers you scholarship (not gonna happen unless you go HYS and get need based aid), transferring from a lower T14 to an upper T14 is retarded.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Cobretti wrote:Unless you have academic/political aspirations AND the other school offers you scholarship (not gonna happen unless you go HYS and get need based aid), transferring from a lower T14 to an upper T14 is retarded.
+1. Dumb to think of transferring from a lower t14 to a higher one, especially if you have money. And if you're only 30, employers will be cool with it and you'll probably have an advantage over a lot of your classmates.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 am

For admission, non-trad not only doesn't hurt you, but generally helps you because you have WE, especially the closer your UGPA is to 3.0 (as opposed to 4.0).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Yeah, what would be the point of transferring? If you're top 5% in the lower 14, BigLaw/federal clerkships are all but assured anyway, assuming that's your goal.

Oatmeal_Me

New

Post by Oatmeal_Me » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 pm

BVest wrote:For admission, non-trad not only doesn't hurt you, but generally helps you because you have WE, especially the closer your UGPA is to 3.0 (as opposed to 4.0).
I just realized "non-traditional applicants" refers to people who are not fresh out of college, so that includes those with graduate degrees but no W/E?
Last edited by Oatmeal_Me on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Oatmeal_Me wrote:
BVest wrote:For admission, non-trad not only doesn't hurt you, but generally helps you because you have WE, especially the closer your UGPA is to 3.0 (as opposed to 4.0).
I just realized "non-traditional applicants" refers to people who are not fresh out of college, then I'm one of them. However, I don't have WE either, I started my PhD right after graduating from college (in China), but as I'm finishing up my dissertation, I realize doing research is really not my thing. I cannot picture myself doing research and teaching for the rest of my life.

If working experience is the only edge for non-traditional applicants, should I postpone my law school applications until I've worked for a few years?
It will likely still help.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Oatmeal_Me wrote:
I just realized "non-traditional applicants" refers to people who are not fresh out of college, then I'm one of them. However, I don't have WE either, I started my PhD right after graduating from college (in China), but as I'm finishing up my dissertation, I realize doing research is really not my thing. I cannot picture myself doing research and teaching for the rest of my life.

If working experience is the only edge for non-traditional applicants, should I postpone my law school applications until I've worked for a few years?
If you are ready to go now I'd apply and if you feel like you underperformed your numbers then you can consider taking a few years off to work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:18 pm

BVest wrote:
Oatmeal_Me wrote:

It will likely still help.
I don't necessarily disagree but I would be careful to craft a really good answer for Why Law and Why not (using PhD). When it comes time for interviewing (especially with firms) you don't want to look like a flight risk or serial degree collector IMO.

BVest

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”