When law firm reimburses bar review--is this taxable income? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

When law firm reimburses bar review--is this taxable income?

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:12 pm

My firm will pay for a bar review course. Both Kaplan and Barbri are offering deals if you sign up early. I haven't heard from the firm, but I'm wondering whether I should do that (I pay and firm reimburse me) or if i should have them just bill the firm. The main issue is if they bill the firm, will this be included in my taxable income? If so, I would rather get a discount and be reimbursed.

Thanks to those who have been through this and can weigh in!

splitsplat

Silver

Re: When law firm reimburses bar review--is this taxable income?

Post by splitsplat » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:38 pm

if your firm pays or reimburses you for the bar prep stuff, it's usually considered taxable fringe benefits. whether you pay and reimbursed or the firm direct bills, it is going to show up on your w-2. to the extent the overall charge is less if you pay first, then yeah there will be some marginal tax benefits, but not much

Yukos

Gold

Re: When law firm reimburses bar review--is this taxable income?

Post by Yukos » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:50 pm

This is not legal advice, because it's what I vaguely remember form Personal Income Tax. Whether you pay (and are reimbursed) or your employer pays generally won't affect deductibility, but it may affect whether it's an above the line or below the line deduction. I believe bar prep is not deductible but bar fees and CLE are (it has to do with whether you're training to join a profession or if you're paying to remain within your profession. This is why law school is not deductible).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”