Relevant casebook readings? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
theycallmefoes

Bronze

Relevant casebook readings?

Post by theycallmefoes » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:35 am

Is it worthwhile to read the portions of the casebook between the cases? For example, in the Contracts casebook, several pages are devoted to the transition from classical contract doctrine to modern and how the two differ (e.g., objectivity vs. subjectivity, static vs. dogmatic, etc.). Is there any point (in terms of what will be relevant for the final exam) in reading these portions of the text, or, for the sake of efficiency, is it better to just focus on the cases?

MoneyMay

Bronze

Re: Relevant casebook readings?

Post by MoneyMay » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:06 am

That shit won't be on the exam (i.e. the evolution of K law) and I basically never read the notes (even when I took my 1L reading seriously) unless I was super confused, and I did pretty well. FWIW, the #1 guy in my class read EVERYTHING multiple times but you can still do really really well without reading them.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:17 am

Depends on the professor. At least skim it in case your prof decides to ask about something in there during class.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:36 am

Totally depends on the prof. Talk to 2 and 3Ls who did well in the class. Look at past exams to get a feel for the prof's style.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 am

Agreed, totally depends on the professor. About 25% of my 1L contracts final was an open-ended question about theory and development of contract policy. Talk to upperclassmen (if you can; I was lucky enough to have a prof teaching contracts for the first time) and see how much time s/he spends talking about it in class

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 am

Reading notes about the development of the law is a waste of time, but notes often address majority rules and limited exceptions and this has been test material for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”