Fordham Housing Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nyeagle

New

Fordham Housing

Post by nyeagle » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:01 am

Could anyone comment on their housing situation at Fordham? Are the dorms worth living in? Are there cheap enough apartments nearby that loans could cover the rent for the year? Anything else you have come across over the years?

kiskadee321

New

Re: Fordham Housing

Post by kiskadee321 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:07 am

I'm curious about this too, if I decided to go to Fordham though, I'd live up in the Heights. It's way to expensive around Columbus Circle/ Lincoln Center.

edit: That's uptown Manhattan.
Last edited by kiskadee321 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rn2mx

New

Post by rn2mx » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:14 am

You're probably gonna need to have at least one roommate to get rent down low enough. our apartment on the Upper West Side is a 2 bedroom for $2500 per month (approximately $833 per person). From what I heard, the dorms are not worth their cost relative to the quality of housing you receive (spoke with someone who lived there and he moved into an apartment after the 1L year). The cheapest housing option is arguably Jersey City which is more reasonable, but with a bit longer commute.

Pro Hac Vice

New

Post by Pro Hac Vice » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:15 am

Thats actually the border between midtown and the upper west side. Downtown is at least the very least below 14th street (and more expensive).

Nonetheless, its still a pricey place to live, like the rest of the god-forsaken island.

mike80

New

Post by mike80 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:18 am

If you don't want to spend all your money on rent, look into the boros. You'll certainly be able to find something more affordable, and definitely within a reasonable commute.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

augustlights

New

Post by augustlights » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 am

Yeah, the law school is in a pretty prime location...so the rent isn't too cheap. The PATH train to jersey city is super easy, if cheap rent is your number one goal. i have a friend who rents a room there for $400/month.

My 2BR apt is $3,200/month....and that's actually considered a decent deal (for West Village).

What really get you in Manhattan are the brokers' fees (typically 2 months rent). Craigslist can be a bit difficult to deal with, but if you walk around to the bigger buildings and ask about vacancies, they'll often put you on a list. It's the easiest way to avoid a brokers' fee. Also, many people install a wall in apartments to add an extra bedroom (and lose a living room). Installation is typically around $1,400 and it can decrease your rent substantially (as well as your quality of life :P).

The outer boroughs are cheaper too, but taking a late night subway to Brooklyn or Queens can take FOREVER from the Fordam Campus....so be prepared to shell out some decent cab money if you plan on going out/studying late in Manhattan.

luckynumber8s

New

Post by luckynumber8s » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 am

At night an hour from Park Slope in Brooklyn. And about 45 minutes from Astoria, Queens.

During the day perhaps 45 min, and 30 min, respectively.

crbrit

New

Post by crbrit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Yeah, Astoria is a great place to live, with a direct train into Manhattan. Queens and Brooklyn both have nice, affordable areas, as does Jersey (Jersey City, Hoboken).

I have a place on the Upper East Side- a 2 bdrm. for $2000. The low 90's and places along York Ave. can have (relatively) cheap, nice places. Also, you can take an easy crosstown bus over to Fordham.

spruance

New

Post by spruance » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:59 pm

I vote for Jersey, though I've heard it has gotten much more expensive recently. Still Hudson County will be cheaper than anywhere in the city. I have a friend in Hoboken w/ a two bedroom apartment with a view of the city and she pays something like 1500. Not too bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyeagle

New

Post by nyeagle » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks for the information. I think I might look into the dorms for my first year. The convenience of its location, and being furnished are highly attractive to me right now.

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:08 am

I might be going to fordham and am curious about this as well.
From what I heard, the dorms are not worth their cost relative to the quality of housing you receive
How bad are the dorms? Or are they nice but just overpriced?

BowlingForKids

New

Post by BowlingForKids » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:32 pm

I just did a tour of Fordham the other week and the student who gave me the tour suggested, you might want to say, that unless I was comfortable living in housing run by a Jesuit school, and all the somewhat restrictive rules that that emphasis would imply, that I would probably be better off looking elsewhere for housing. Needless to say, I'm looking for housing for myself and a woman I am not currently married to so I would not be eligible for housing any way. Take from that what you will.

meemz411

New

Post by meemz411 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 am

i already live in nyc (the bronx) but i hate the commute. am i completely crazy for wanting to move to midtown?

also, can someone expand on the "jesuit rules" in the dorms?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

infinity

New

Post by infinity » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:08 am

i think the commute from the bronx will be fine. i am actually looking to either live in riverdale or astoria. if you can afford midtwon rents - then go for it. i figure, we'll already be in so much debt that i don't want to pay crazy manhattan rent for shoe-box apt.

the jesuit housing thing is that you have to sign in all your guests and (i think) you can't have members of the opposite sex over night. i think there is also a curfew. plus the dorms are mainly for undergrads, so i think that would be awkward...

dyermaker16

New

Post by dyermaker16 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:37 am

-
Last edited by dyermaker16 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chadbertwick

New

Post by Chadbertwick » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:11 am

luckynumber8s wrote:At night an hour from Park Slope in Brooklyn. And about 45 minutes from Astoria, Queens.

This would suck!!!
infinity wrote:i think the commute from the bronx will be fine. i am actually looking to either live in riverdale or astoria. if you can afford midtwon rents - then go for it. i figure, we'll already be in so much debt that i don't want to pay crazy manhattan rent for shoe-box apt.

the jesuit housing thing is that you have to sign in all your guests and (i think) you can't have members of the opposite sex over night. i think there is also a curfew. plus the dorms are mainly for undergrads, so i think that would be awkward...
This would also suck!!!

I currently live in Brooklyn, and if I were going to Fordham (will be attending the other outrageously priced school in NYC), I would find my own place with roommates closer by than Brooklyn, Astoria, Jersey City, and the Bronx. Imagine the pain in the buttocks it will be to travel late at night to any of those areas after a long day of classes and studying in the library. Also, imagine the inconveniece of not being able to take full advantage of the NYC nightlife scene b/c you have to travel so far to get home.

infinity

New

Post by infinity » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:24 am

Chadbertwick wrote:
luckynumber8s wrote:At night an hour from Park Slope in Brooklyn. And about 45 minutes from Astoria, Queens.

This would suck!!!
infinity wrote:i think the commute from the bronx will be fine. i am actually looking to either live in riverdale or astoria. if you can afford midtwon rents - then go for it. i figure, we'll already be in so much debt that i don't want to pay crazy manhattan rent for shoe-box apt.

This would also suck!!!

I currently live in Brooklyn, and if I were going to Fordham (will be attending the other outrageously priced school in NYC), I would find my own place with roommates closer by than Brooklyn, Astoria, Jersey City, and the Bronx. Imagine the pain in the buttocks it will be to travel late at night to any of those areas after a long day of classes and studying in the library. Also, imagine the inconveniece of not being able to take full advantage of the NYC nightlife scene b/c you have to travel so far to get home.
i have a longer commute now so this is not crazy to me, plus i am married - so i won't be doing the nightlife thing too much anyway. anything in the bronx or astoria is an improvement for us. plus, you can always take a cab which shouldn't be that much $$$.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

meemz411

New

Post by meemz411 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:57 pm

i was thinking- if i'm already gonna take out loans, why not make the 3 years of law school a little easier on myself. might as well put up the extra money and live somewhere easy to get to class and still not outrageous.

dyermaker16

New

Post by dyermaker16 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:08 pm

-
Last edited by dyermaker16 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

meemz411

New

Post by meemz411 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:15 pm

that's a good question... i forgot about the qualifying part..

well i'm working now, so hopefully i'll have some money. if not, i guess get a cosigner.

subletting is a little wierd to me b/c you're living in someone else's house...with all of their stuff. i'd be afraid to mess something up. or just miss having all of my own stuff.

infinity

New

Post by infinity » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:03 pm

well, my husband has income and if need be then co-signers...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

krystal82

New

Post by krystal82 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Finally made my decision Fordham law next year. I'm looking for a female roommate, so pm if interested. A two bedroom around upper west should mre affordable than the graduate housing. Dyermaker, I was under the impression that the grad dorms were very far from campus like 30 minute commute? That's crazy! Plus the rent does not include utilties. What is everyone else doing for housing?

kclove2

New

Post by kclove2 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Last edited by kclove2 on Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

senseful

New

Post by senseful » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:27 am

From what I've heard and my experience living in the area (w54) last summer, McMahon sounds like the best value. As far as the Jesuitiness, I can't imagine they don't treat law students like adults.

I second Krystal's dismay at the length of the commute from the east side, but it's no worse than coming from Jersey or Brooklyn. I know from living in DC that you get a better deal living with someone else. If anyone's down here (DC) before June 1st and wants to meet up to discuss the options, I wouldn't be opposed.

lsnhut7083

New

Post by lsnhut7083 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:13 am

inwood is probably where i'm leaning, maybe washington heights. decent commute via a & 1 trains, plus i can live by myself and keep my elderly, infirm dog with me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”