Any advice for the first day of 1L year? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BVest

Platinum

Re: Any advice for the first day of 1L year?

Post by BVest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:44 pm

KD35 wrote:Find people who will play gunner bingo with you.
Or word of the day.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:22 pm

BVest wrote:
Or word of the day.
Or get your whole section to play word of the day. Maybe not the first day, though.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Whoa wait a minute. Do people actually play these kinds of games in class? This sounds a bit like supertroopers. In which case that is awesome.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:But as an old, some people who worked before law school mostly have biz-cas stuff. Saying you'd think less of someone for dressing true biz-cas seems a little harsh to me.

(Dress however makes you comfortable, but if that's full suit you will look like that guy/girl, and you may want to do a little self-examination.)
I did acknowledge it was irrationally harsh. Definitely agree with wear what makes you comfortable.

I mean, I'm an old and I'm sure what I wore for most of the first semester would have looked like a fairly casual business casual (collared shirt, Dickies pants or the equivalent, decent shoes. And yeah I know Dickies aren't acceptable as business casual but just looking at them from afar they can probably pass). But I didn't like tuck my shirt in or make sure I always wore a belt or anything like that and I wasn't consciously trying to dress nice for class. If I knew someone was trying to dress up business casual it wouldn't be a deal breaker but I'd think it was unnecessarily gunnery.

A suit first day of class would be a deal breaker however.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 pm

despina wrote:
BVest wrote:
Or word of the day.
Or get your whole section to play word of the day. Maybe not the first day, though.
This is stupid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:10 pm

monsterman wrote:Whoa wait a minute. Do people actually play these kinds of games in class? This sounds a bit like supertroopers. In which case that is awesome.
Some people in my section's facebook group tried to get it started at the beginning of the semester, but it never took off (thankfully).

detlefschrempf1

New

Post by detlefschrempf1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:18 pm

KD35 wrote:Don't be a gunner. Find people who will play gunner bingo with you.

Be nice to people.
Alternatively, always be gunning.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:43 pm

If i got go back to day 1 of law school, I'd probably be pretty high. Law school should be taken seriously, but you should really relax, if you get cold called oh well. No one will remember your bungled explanation of consideration in a few days.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Here's my advice. Read your cases as fast as possible. Do a bad job. Then volunteer to present the case. You're virtually unprepared but prepared enough to give the basic facts and what the point of the case was. When you realize that there's no negative consequences to being unprepared, you'll be a better person.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:48 pm

detlefschrempf1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
chizzy wrote:Is cold calling really common on the first day???
Yes.
Was cold-called in a mock class during orientation. didn't even wait for classes to start :(
I too was cold-called in a "mock" class on legal ethics during orientation. The entire 1L class was in the room. The guy who called on me was a big deal alum. I feel your pain :-)

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:13 am

JCougar wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:I am from the I-wear-yoga-pants-and-a-sweater-everyday clan so I will have to dress up from my norm, but I got you guys
I am fairly certain yoga pants and a sweater would be perfectly fine.

Other than not wearing pajama pants to class with a massive hangover (unless it's Friday), I don't think people collectively dressed any better than they did in undergrad.

In general, law students are far to worried about acting like a professional in school itself. By all means, in interviews and summer internships, you should act like a consummate professional, but you don't have to act like anything more than a student in school--although a studious and somewhat responsible intelligent one. Despite everyone being overly worried about their image 1L year, about two-thirds of you will go out drinking on at least a few of the weekends, and about one third of you will smoke weed, and about a handful will do coke. My advice is to get it out of your system as a student, because when you graduate, you'll either be too broke or too busy to have fun for a long time.
I've been wearing basketball shorts and t-shirts to school everyday since freshman yr of college. I'm assuming it's fine to continue that trend? Also, I'm trying to stay from alcohol except on certain gameday Saturdays (my UG is about 20 miles away from LS so I'll be there for gamedays when we have a home game). I'm trying to make it to where I'm not completely drunk every weekend like I was in college but is it okay to indulge every once in a while?

gideon

New

Post by gideon » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 pm

KD35 wrote:Don't be a gunner. Find people who will play gunner bingo with you.

Be nice to people.
BE NICE TO PEOPLE was one of the ones that most struck me in the book I read. Looking forward to 90% of the class not having read it though :-\

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”