1L summer positions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NotHermione

New

1L summer positions

Post by NotHermione » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:57 am

For those of you who have had a SA or clerkship after 1L, when did you start applying for positions?

First Offense

Platinum

Re: 1L summer positions

Post by First Offense » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 am

Apply Dec. 1, or as close to it as reasonably possible.

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:54 am

I personally didn't touch an app until after finals (Dec. 20th or so), turned out ok and I didn't feel like I was too late in the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 am

hellojd wrote:I personally didn't touch an app until after finals (Dec. 20th or so), turned out ok and I didn't feel like I was too late in the process.
Counter-anecdote. Top 5% non-diverse at T14, waited until after grades and didn't get an SA (although that may have been because of the market I was targeting). I wish I had applied earlier, but honestly I love what I'm doing this summer anyway, so it's not a huge deal in hindsight.

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hellojd wrote:I personally didn't touch an app until after finals (Dec. 20th or so), turned out ok and I didn't feel like I was too late in the process.
Counter-anecdote. Top 5% non-diverse at T14, waited until after grades and didn't get an SA (although that may have been because of the market I was targeting). I wish I had applied earlier, but honestly I love what I'm doing this summer anyway, so it's not a huge deal in hindsight.
That's fair. For OP's info, assuming they're a rising 1L, they should know that the majority of 1L SAs are given to diverse candidates. I definitely didn't have as good grades as this anon after 1st semester, and almost definitely would not have gotten my SA position if I were not diverse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:04 am

Moved to correct forum. Also, read all the stickied threads in the employment forum (even the ones marked as about OCI often talk about 1L).

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:14 pm

I applied to some on Dec. 1 and then throughout January and February as deadlines approached. You will almost certainly miss out if you don't have a type of diversity. The idea that if you don't apply on Dec. 1, you miss out is wrong. I know people who applied well into the new year and got SA's. I would say that if your school is in a market with law firms, try to talk to lawyers at a firm that hires 1L's during the year. Meet them at an event and follow up for coffee so that if you're lucky enough to get a CB at that firm, you can have a real advantage distinguishing yourself from the other people from a good law school with good grades.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:14 pm

sa, and I waited till february. not recommended

lawman4

New

Post by lawman4 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:32 pm

Late January, I applied and got the SA without an interview. Connections son.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 pm

What qualifications count as diverse beyond being African-American or Latino?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:11 am

Yea All Right wrote:What qualifications count as diverse beyond being African-American or Latino?
Possibly LGBT, Asian-American, but it depends on the firm.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:44 am

So, if the firm's website does not appear to specify a deadline (I've seen a few that have a description of the program and then simply provide contact information - i.e., "please submit resume, cover letter, and transcript, if and when available, to abclawyer@xyzfirm.com), I should aim to submit my application materials by, or during, December?

Also, is it better to submit earlier without a 1L transcript and then send that along later? Or would you advise submitting all application materials together, once 1st-semester grades are released?

Thanks!

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:01 am

I think according to ABA rules first year law students are not allowed to apply before December 1st. But after that, I think most applications are fair game.

Disclaimer: 0L so what the fuck do I know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:19 am

NotHermione wrote:For those of you who have had a SA or clerkship after 1L, when did you start applying for positions?
1L SA--Began applying after December 1st. Started networking for positions about 3 years ago.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Also: I've seen many people advise that you should update your resume and cover letter prior to beginning school. Should a resume for SA positions be formatted any differently than what was submitted with LS applications? What UG information should be kept/eliminated, especially if applying for IL SAs before 1-semester grades/rankings are released?

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:04 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:Also: I've seen many people advise that you should update your resume and cover letter prior to beginning school. Should a resume for SA positions be formatted any differently than what was submitted with LS applications? What UG information should be kept/eliminated, especially if applying for IL SAs before 1-semester grades/rankings are released?
Usually your career services office will have some sort of format that they will recommend, but that's up to you if you want to follow it. Personally, I varied from my CSO's template because I figured everyone from my school would be using it.

If you are k-jd, obviously you won't have much else to put on your resume other than UG information. I kept leadership positions, committees, etc from UG on my resume for 1L SAs. If I was just a "member" in some sort of club, I took that off.

If you have a named scholarship (not just a Dean's/Merit Scholarship), I think you should put that on for 1L SAs. Because you don't have grades yet, it at least gives employers some information about your intelligence.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Applied Jan 20, but I had a really strong networking contact put me through.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 pm

ronanOgara wrote: If you have a named scholarship (not just a Dean's/Merit Scholarship), I think you should put that on for 1L SAs. Because you don't have grades yet, it at least gives employers some information about your intelligence.
Just to cover my bases logically, does that mean that I should NOT mention my Dean's/Merit scholarship?

And also, just to clarify, the gist of your post is early > grades?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 am

pancakes3 wrote:
ronanOgara wrote: If you have a named scholarship (not just a Dean's/Merit Scholarship), I think you should put that on for 1L SAs. Because you don't have grades yet, it at least gives employers some information about your intelligence.
Just to cover my bases logically, does that mean that I should NOT mention my Dean's/Merit scholarship?

And also, just to clarify, the gist of your post is early > grades?
Haven't really followed this convo but:
- list your Dean's Merit scholarship.
- Most big law firms will wait for grades to make a decision and hold your app, so it may or may not make a difference if you submit early. Not sure how mid-law works. I submitted 1L SA apps as soon as grades were released in January.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”