Why do people glorify biglaw? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
speedtracer

New

Why do people glorify biglaw?

Post by speedtracer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 pm

I'm sitting here mulling over a decision to transfer to Stanford from Florida, having already turned down Harvard. One of my big concerns is debt. People say "you'll be able to pay that off doing biglaw in no time!" (note: I'm not starting this thread to start a debate on any of the previous sentences here; I just wanted to give background on why I'm making it.)

Biglaw seems completely undesirable to me, and even moreso because of what people post on here sometimes. I just read a post by a 1L who was considering transferring, in which he said "I just want to do biglaw, no matter where." Why? To me, it sounds like 15 hour days, six days per week, in incredibly stressful situations with ruthless partners or senior associates. Sure, it makes bank, but why work a job that pays a lot if you don't have any time to spend the money? Even my mother, who did closer to medium-law, made bank but had no time to enjoy it. She could have lived her lifestyle on $30k.

It doesn't even seem like people enjoy it. I've seen posts here where people plan their exit strategies, sometimes before even graduating law school. It's like people make the investment of law school in order to get a specific job... that they only want for, at most, a decade. Is it the vague hope of making partner? Then it seems like your days last even longer - I read one post earlier about a managing partner who was at the office from 4 AM to 10 PM. Is that what's attractive about the job?

Please note that I'm not trying to knock biglaw or anyone who wants it. I'm honestly trying to understand why people enjoy it and what entices 0Ls about it, in order to see if my analysis is missing anything.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Why do people glorify biglaw?

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 pm

I don't want to spend three years of my life and no income for a job making 50k.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Lemme ask you this

What kind of job do you want to start if not biglaw

There are like 5 jobs you can get (realistically) comin from LS to start

Clerk - aka prestigious or unprestigious temping
Fed govt - good luck there are like 3 jobs w the feds
Local govt - so... PD/DA
Big firm - pays good, "exit options"
Small/medium firms - run the gamut but usually pay less

Which of those do you want to do then

People don't love biglaw but it's a solid entry level job

speedtracer

New

Post by speedtracer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Make no mistake - I came to law school because I wanted a well-paying job. I have a degree in applied math but thought that my career prospects would be better in law. However, like I said, it seems like making a lot of money is meaningless if your life outside of work is mostly more work + sleep

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 pm

People do love biglaw. Because they want the status and the money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 pm

speedtracer wrote:Make no mistake - I came to law school because I wanted a well-paying job. I have a degree in applied math but thought that my career prospects would be better in law. However, like I said, it seems like making a lot of money is meaningless if your life outside of work is mostly more work + sleep
okay dude well what other entry level job can you get that pays you a lot to start

when you don't have any skills and don't know how to do shit

lemme know when you find it

all you have to offer is general intelligence and the ability to bill relentlessly
Last edited by baal hadad on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedtracer

New

Post by speedtracer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:37 pm

minnbills wrote:People do love biglaw. Because they want the status and the money.
I think this is what I'm getting to in my question. Are the only reasons they love it the status and the money? That overcomes the bad work environment and, more importantly, lack of free time?

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 pm

speedtracer wrote:Make no mistake - I came to law school because I wanted a well-paying job. I have a degree in applied math but thought that my career prospects would be better in law. However, like I said, it seems like making a lot of money is meaningless if your life outside of work is mostly more work + sleep
Biglaw and fedgov are the only well-paying jobs. That is why people go for them.

Also, almost universally, high wage = high stress; especially for 20 + year olds.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:41 pm

speedtracer wrote:
minnbills wrote:People do love biglaw. Because they want the status and the money.
I think this is what I'm getting to in my question. Are the only reasons they love it the status and the money? That overcomes the bad work environment and, more importantly, lack of free time?
What well paying job do you intend to get without the stress or long hours?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:43 pm

I look at biglaw as analogous to a residency for doctors. Horrendous hours, but something you have to endure to have a decent career.

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 pm

I'll give you $150k to sit your ass in that chair.
You gonna pass???
Do you have that chance???
Believe me, if you ever get that chance....you'll take it!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am

speedtracer wrote:
Biglaw is a nice segway into an in-house job, and sometimes other law firms.

Also, don't believe that big firms always work you to death or aren't pleasant places to work. People love to talk that up, but it's not true of every firm.

There are better legal jobs. The "best" law firm in my state is a small shop with maybe 6 lawyers. I don't think they've hired anyone in a decade for an attorney position though. Their client roster is unbelievable.

The biggest drawback to a big firm (and take this with a grain of salt, because it is just my opinion) is that you aren't likely to spend much time getting clients and, if you're a litigator, going to court. It is really easy to be nudged out of a big firm after 4 or 5 years and not have options.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:08 am

Pokemon wrote:
Biglaw and fedgov are the only well-paying jobs. That is why people go for them.
This is not true. You can make a lot of money within a few years of graduation if you go in-house or compliance, or make a switch to another (but maybe semi-related) field. For example, my aunt is in compliance and makes 200-300k depending on the company's performance and she never works more than 50 hours a week.

Another recent grad I know went into commercial real estate and is making six figures.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 am

minnbills wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
This is not true. You can make a lot of money within a few years of graduation if you go in-house or compliance, or make a switch to another (but maybe semi-related) field. For example, my aunt is in compliance and makes 200-300k depending on the company's performance and she never works more than 50 hours a week.

Another recent grad I know went into commercial real estate and is making six figures.
How do I get into commercial real estate? What are some firms? My legal job search is dead.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 am

sparty99 wrote: How do I get into commercial real estate? What are some firms? My legal job search is dead.
He's a salesman. Does maybe two sales a year but makes a lot on commission.

There are a lot of companies that do commercial leasing that a JD could plausibly try for.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:18 am

speedtracer wrote: I have a degree in applied math but thought that my career prospects would be better in law.
lol

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 am

sparty99 wrote:My legal job search is dead.
i thought u said u had a jerb

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:22 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
speedtracer wrote:
I know people with these kinds of jobs. They have advanced degrees in shit like science and engineering. Work 40-50 hours a week, make six figures by the time they were 30, little to no college debt, stay at home wife handles the kids, they come home to a fresh meal, etc.

I was really good at that shit too. Why the fuck did I ruin my life by choosing law?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

You can't go back?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:25 am

Brut wrote:
sparty99 wrote:My legal job search is dead.
i thought u said u had a jerb
I do.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:27 am

Biglaw is so not the only decent paying job. It's just less of a crapshoot if you can get an offer through OCI.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:28 am

JCougar wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
speedtracer wrote:
I know people with these kinds of jobs. They have advanced degrees in shit like science and engineering. Work 40-50 hours a week, make six figures by the time they were 30, little to no college debt, stay at home wife handles the kids, they come home to a fresh meal, etc.

I was really good at that shit too. Why the fuck did I ruin my life by choosing law?
What are you talking about? I have a PhD in engineering and made jackshit with a f'ing sword hanging over my head all day long. Law is the best decision I ever made. Bench work totally SUCKS!!! Half your effort will go in the trash. Law, by contrast, is solid money. Yummy good!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:You can't go back?
I switched my major in undergrad. It's too late...I'd have to go back and get another BS.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:33 am

wait op ur the guy from that harvard vs uf thread
i don't get it

u want to practice in florida, don't want biglaw, and apparently love uf enough to turn down harvard even when uf wouldn't up your scholly
why are you relitigating the whole thing now that u got into stanford?
would your rationale for attending rly be that much different?
or r u just trying to tell everyone u got h/s?

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:33 am

Brut wrote:wait op ur the guy from that harvard vs uf thread
i don't get it

u want to practice in florida, don't want biglaw, and apparently love uf enough to turn down harvard even when uf wouldn't up your scholly
why are you relitigating the whole thing now that u got into stanford?
would your rationale for attending rly be that much different?
or r u just trying to tell everyone u got h/s?
Some sorta IP interest

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”