How to make the most of internship with Circuit Court Judge? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bobbybird

New

How to make the most of internship with Circuit Court Judge?

Post by bobbybird » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:33 am

Hi all. I've gotten a lot of great advice here so I'm hoping to get some more! Let me jump right into it:

I've kind of fallen ass backwards into an amazing internship with a State Circuit Court Judge, and he's frankly incredible. I'll be interning with him through applications this Fall and beyond and he has already introduced me to other judges at the state level, high powered lawyers in my state of residence (Southeast state), and has offered to try to get me personal connection with judges at the federal level in my state. I know that this is an area of massive opportunity, not just now, but for when I enter law school as well as after, so I was hoping you guys could offer some advice on how I can make sure I make the most of this situation from now until after law school?

More specifically, I'll likely be going to a T14 school in the Northeast with the top-most goal of entering into a federal clerkship after graduation. Because of the location of the school in the Northeast, would it still make sense to chase/obtain federal clerkships in the Southeast during/after law school? If I somehow come away with a federal clerkship in the Southeast, would they only give me a boost in employment opportunity in the Southeast? I obviously don't know much about the process so any information here would be great.

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Re: How to make the most of internship with Circuit Court Judge?

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:12 am

bobbybird wrote:Hi all. I've gotten a lot of great advice here so I'm hoping to get some more! Let me jump right into it:

I've kind of fallen ass backwards into an amazing internship with a State Circuit Court Judge, and he's frankly incredible. I'll be interning with him through applications this Fall and beyond and he has already introduced me to other judges at the state level, high powered lawyers in my state of residence (Southeast state), and has offered to try to get me personal connection with judges at the federal level in my state. I know that this is an area of massive opportunity, not just now, but for when I enter law school as well as after, so I was hoping you guys could offer some advice on how I can make sure I make the most of this situation from now until after law school?

More specifically, I'll likely be going to a T14 school in the Northeast with the top-most goal of entering into a federal clerkship after graduation. Because of the location of the school in the Northeast, would it still make sense to chase/obtain federal clerkships in the Southeast during/after law school? If I somehow come away with a federal clerkship in the Southeast, would they only give me a boost in employment opportunity in the Southeast? I obviously don't know much about the process so any information here would be great.
Your objective should be to accumulate as many "mentors" as you can. When you meet people, ask them for advice on career questions, which school to attend, etc. Then ask them if you can remain in touch as these things develop. BOOM - you've got a mentor.

Also, be modest and available to help the clerks. They're the one's who will be climbing the ladder and you want them to feel like bringing you along. Clerks also have a network of people at their old firm, in other chambers, etc.

Lastly, try to get a powerful writing sample.

Good luck.

bobbybird

New

Post by bobbybird » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 am

Thank you so much for the reply! I did read the great write up by the TLSer on how to keep contacts and use these contacts to increase your potential employment opportunities, so I'll be sure to keep in touch with as many individuals from this internship as possible and message them often.

About clerks, I don't believe this judge has any clerks working for him but when I get introduced to the federal judges, should I try and be introduced to the clerks as well? Would you advice I try to keep contact with them moreso than the judges themselves?

When you say "writing sample", what exactly do you mean? I haven't written any documents for the judge yet, but I have done plenty of document review. I'm just beginning to write some speeches for him for when he will be speaking at some events here and there. Did you mean something like that? I will definitely be obtaining a letter of recommendation for this judge as well.

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:16 am

My mistake - the judge probably does not have clerks. Even better...I think your objective should be to develop a relationship with the judge so that he'll go to bat for you (i.e., letters of recommendation, getting you in touch w/ people who let him know that they're hiring, etc.). You won't have much of an opportunity to connect meaningfully with multiple judges and you don't need to because you'll be spending a byunch of time with your judge (quality>quantity).

Speeches work - you can add "speechwriter" to your resume. He may eventually ask you to write a memo or even an opinion. With his permission, you may be able to use these as writing samples. Virtually any job or clinic you aim for during law school and after will ask for a writing sample.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 am

I agree with the above, except that I don't think any pre-LS writing samples are going to help you when it comes to writing samples for legal jobs. Employers want to see legal writing from job applicants, and just because something is written for a judge doesn't automatically make it legal writing. I'm sure the internship will be a good experience, I just don't think you should worry about getting a writing sample to use during law school out of it it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:05 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I agree with the above, except that I don't think any pre-LS writing samples are going to help you when it comes to writing samples for legal jobs. Employers want to see legal writing from job applicants, and just because something is written for a judge doesn't automatically make it legal writing. I'm sure the internship will be a good experience, I just don't think you should worry about getting a writing sample to use during law school out of it it.
^ You're right and I edit my post to reflect this point. Some extracurriculars were available to 1Ls in their fall semester at my school and they requried writing samples. A writing sample is a plus to that narrow extent, but almost certainly won't be useful during OCI.

bobbybird

New

Post by bobbybird » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Thank you both for your advice, I'll be sure to follow it. I'm fairly certain he'll write me a great letter of recommendation, so at the very least I've got that to look forward to.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:04 pm

On the substantive legal side of things, be a sponge: listen and try to absorb as much as you can, speak little, and try to ask thoughtful questions when invited.

As for the rest: be friendly and likeable. Meet as many people in the judge's network as you can. After the internship ends, update the judge from time to time on how things are going. ("Just wanted to thank you for the rec, I'll be going to X school, very excited, etc.). Continue to do this--occasionally (i.e., perhaps twice a year)--during law school. When job and clerkship times come, reach out for advice and give the judge an opportunity to connect you to his network (but don't ask for this directly). Also contact others that you met that you feel that you made enough of an impression upon for htem to remember you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”