When did you decide what type of law you wanted to practice? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RLowry23

Bronze

When did you decide what type of law you wanted to practice?

Post by RLowry23 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Starting law school in the fall, trying to keep an open mind as to what type of law I will end up wanting to practice. Was wondering for current students/lawyers, at what point did you realize which type of law you wanted to practice?

objctnyrhnr

Re: When did you decide what type of law you wanted to practice?

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:01 pm

I interned for a judge my 1L summer. On my first day, I was so ridiculously impressed with/jealous of the first prosecutor I saw in action because of his position, the cause for which he advocates, his ability to argue, how fun his work appeared to be to me, and his ability to think on his feet, that I decided that was what I wanted to do and I haven't looked back since.

Edit: helped that I make the awesome decision to get nearly a full ride at a regional powerhouse t30 over the lower t14 at full cost, so I wasn't terribly concerned about debt.

wreek

New

Re: When did you decide what type of law you wanted to practice?

Post by wreek » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:14 am

I knew when I was a teenager I wanted to be a prosecutor. I was romanced by the idea of putting bad guys away.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”