How important is a professional appearance in law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Frothingslosh

Bronze

Re: How important is a professional appearance in law school?

Post by Frothingslosh » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote: looks have little bearing on one's ability to produce good work.
Looks have quite a bit of bearing on one's ability to GET work in the first place. To argue about quality of work-product is putting the cart before the horse.
Power_of_Facing wrote: Looking professional should not mean conforming utterly to some backasswards notion of "white collar" competence. IMHO.
That is EXACTLY what it means.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:33 pm

WheatThins wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I think about this differently. People who wear suits that fit them almost too well look ridiculous to me. They'll outgrow that suit in less than a month.
What? This is absurd. Are you really expanding so rapidly that you outgrow your clothes every month? I'd worry about exercising and being healthy more and other people's style less.
FFS I wasn't speaking literally.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Tanicius wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I think about this differently. People who wear suits that fit them almost too well look ridiculous to me. They'll outgrow that suit in less than a month.
What? This is absurd. Are you really expanding so rapidly that you outgrow your clothes every month? I'd worry about exercising and being healthy more and other people's style less.
How long do you expect a suit to last? Bearing in mind that we are talking about 0Ls buying one or two bargain bin JAB shelfers on student loan non-income with the intent of future wardrobe expansion upon actual employment. I really don't understand the purpose of tailoring with "I'll grow into it" specifications in this context.

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Are you really expanding so rapidly that you outgrow your clothes every month?
Around finals, mostly due to getting off a decent exercise schedule and going out for food rather than making stuff at home, I can say this was a legitimate concern of mine. Not outgrowing all of my dress clothes is a major reason I try to stay somewhat in shape.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Frothingslosh wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote: looks have little bearing on one's ability to produce good work.
Looks have quite a bit of bearing on one's ability to GET work in the first place. To argue about quality of work-product is putting the cart before the horse.
Power_of_Facing wrote: Looking professional should not mean conforming utterly to some backasswards notion of "white collar" competence. IMHO.
Disagree.

That said, I am not advocating for the OP to disregard professional mores entirely. However, I also don't think he or she needs to make the wholesale changes to his or her appearance that some are suggesting are necessary for legal success/attaining clients.

This is especially true in Biglaw where you don't sweat client attraction at all until your rep is solidified (at least in part) based on your work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:44 pm

ymmv wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
How long do you expect a suit to last? Bearing in mind that we are talking about 0Ls buying one or two bargain bin JAB shelfers on student loan non-income with the intent of future wardrobe expansion upon actual employment. I really don't understand the purpose of tailoring with "I'll grow into it" specifications in this context.
Unless you're under 25+ you're probably gonna get at least a little bit taller and a little bit heavier (not necessarily fat -- muscle too). I'm 25 and I probably won't be done getting heavier for a few years still.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
Frothingslosh wrote:
Disagree.

That said, I am not advocating for the OP to disregard professional mores entirely. However, I also don't think he or she needs to make the wholesale changes to his or her appearance that some are suggesting are necessary for legal success/attaining clients.

This is especially true in Biglaw where you don't sweat client attraction at all until your rep is solidified (at least in part) based on your work.

What is this "I am a special snowflake" type stuff. It is this simple. If I am hiring someone, I cannot go through an arduous five year old process of figuring out the details of their personality and professional potential. I cannot sit there and be, but this metalhead might be a doc review genius.

Instead, I go by signals. Harvard: check. Good GPA: check. Talking ability: Check. So far so good. Looking like I wanted to look when I was a teenager: NOT COOL = no jerb. It tells me that this guy lacks common sense and social cues. That simple.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
DELG wrote:Why would anyone trying to get into a white collar professional field want to look like a rebellious teenager?
Because looking a certain way can be important to one's identity, and looks have little bearing on one's ability to produce good work.

Looking professional should not mean conforming utterly to some backasswards notion of "white collar" competence. IMHO.
Yeah looking a certain way can say have a certain identity you want to broadcast

So again, why would you want to broadcast "rebellious teenager"

I don't think it's so bad to do quirky things like bow ties or cowboy hats, but what OP describes comes off as juvenile to me

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:
Frothingslosh wrote:
Disagree.

What is this "I am a special snowflake" type stuff. It is this simple. If I am hiring someone, I cannot go through an arduous five year old process of figuring out the details of their personality and professional potential. I cannot sit there and be, but this metalhead might be a doc review genius.

Instead, I go by signals. Harvard: check. Good GPA: check. Talking ability: Check. So far so good. Looking like I wanted to look when I was a teenager: NOT COOL = no jerb. It tells me that this guy lacks common sense and social cues. That simple.
Hell, man. You give me two candidates with roughly the same elite credentials and winning personalities, and I'm pulling for (and hiring) the less generic of the two.

Again, not saying OP can or should look like a teenager fresh out of Hot Topic, I'm just saying he or she doesn't need to shed every idiosyncratic feature of his or her identity to be hired. What screams "lack of common sense" to you might well say "adds diversity and possesses self confidence" to another.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:Hell, man. You give me two candidates with roughly the same elite credentials and winning personalities, I'm pulling for (and hiring) the less generic of the two.

Again, not saying OP can or should look like a teenager fresh out of Hot Topic, I'm just saying he or she doesn't need to shed every idiosyncratic feature of his or her identity to be hired. What screams "lack of common sense" to you, might well say "adds diversity and possesses self confidence" to another.
It might. But it won't.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm

beachbum wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:Hell, man. You give me two candidates with roughly the same elite credentials and winning personalities, I'm pulling for (and hiring) the less generic of the two.

Again, not saying OP can or should look like a teenager fresh out of Hot Topic, I'm just saying he or she doesn't need to shed every idiosyncratic feature of his or her identity to be hired. What screams "lack of common sense" to you, might well say "adds diversity and possesses self confidence" to another.
It might. But it won't.
I've experienced it, though, dawg.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Hell, man. You give me two candidates with roughly the same elite credentials and winning personalities, I'm pulling for (and hiring) the less generic of the two.

Most law firms that hire law students aren't entrepreneurial businesses that want brilliant but quirky people. They just want smart people who are going to keep their head down, do what they're told without asking annoying questions, and leave after a few years. The bolded parts are largely harmful to your chances of getting hired by a corporate law firm. If you're being interviewed by Adam Raposa though, then yeah, I'd say go as quirky as you can.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Also, the OP only asked about waist-length hair being a problem in interviews. A person can have long hair and not look like a rebellious juvenile delinquent. IMHO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:44 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
DELG wrote:Why would anyone trying to get into a white collar professional field want to look like a rebellious teenager?
maybe he is gunning for BIGMOTORCYLELAW
Personal injury motorcycle law is huge where I live. In all the commercials a lawyer rides up on a bike with a goatee and talks about how they care about motorcycle riders, because they are motorcycle riders - not a small shop either. I vote big motorcycle law.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:45 pm

John Everyman wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
maybe he is gunning for BIGMOTORCYLELAW
Personal injury motorcycle law is huge where I live. In all the commercials a lawyer rides up on a bike with a goatee and talks about how they care about motorcycle riders, because they are motorcycle riders - not a small shop either. I vote big motorcycle law.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:Also, the OP only asked about waist-length hair being a problem in interviews. A person can have long hair and not look like a rebellious juvenile delinquent. IMHO.
Waist-length hair is most likely an auto-DQ at OCI.
Last edited by Tanicius on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
Hell, man. You give me two candidates with roughly the same elite credentials and winning personalities, and I'm pulling for (and hiring) the less generic of the two.

Again, not saying OP can or should look like a teenager fresh out of Hot Topic, I'm just saying he or she doesn't need to shed every idiosyncratic feature of his or her identity to be hired. What screams "lack of common sense" to you might well say "adds diversity and possesses self confidence" to another.
Sure... take the guy with the interesting life experience who has visited every single country in the world, who was marine, or the guy who was a jazz or metal guitarist, or who spend 5 years in Paris over the K-JD who says I want to be a lawyer cause my father and grandpa were lawyers.

However, picking the guy who adopts a certain identity and then expresses that through his looks in a non-subtle way... to me that screams immaturity and "look at me, I am so special."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:Also, the OP only asked about waist-length hair being a problem in interviews. A person can have long hair and not look like a rebellious juvenile delinquent. IMHO.
Waist-length hire is most likely an auto-DQ at OCI.
Law firms don't hire dwarves? I kid, I kid.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Law firms don't hire little people?
FTFY

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:49 pm

eliminatorjr wrote:
kalvano wrote:I bet Brooks Brothers would custom-make a jacket with a Five Finger Death Punch label in it, or design in the lining. That would be awesome.
Wouldn't you want something far more metal? I vote for Gorguts.
Motorhead on one side, FFDP on the other lapel, and a full design of the "Metal Up Your Ass" cover (not "Kill 'Em All") on the back lining.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:

Sure... take the guy with the interesting life experience who has visited every single country in the world, who was marine, or the guy who was a jazz or metal guitarist, or who spend 5 years in Paris over the K-JD who says I want to be a lawyer cause my father and grandpa were lawyers.

However, picking the guy who adopts a certain identity and then expresses that through his looks in a non-subtle way... to me that screams immaturity and "look at me, I am so special."
That could be your impression. But then maybe if after having a conversation you sense that your impression doesn't tell the whole story, who knows, you could conclude something else...

Maybe biglaw would be a better profession if more people broke from convention.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote: A person can have long hair and not look like a rebellious juvenile delinquent. IMHO.
But Jerry Spence isn't going through OCI.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:50 pm

John Everyman wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Law firms don't hire little people?
FTFY
Thanx! :)

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:

That could be your impression. But then maybe if after having a conversation you sense that your impression doesn't tell the whole story, who knows, you could conclude something else...

Maybe biglaw would be a better profession if more people broke from convention.

Looking at firm profiles, I am pretty sure biglaw is with me on this one. On the other hand, if you want to be a barista at an independent coffee place, then long hair is ideal.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Pokemon wrote:Looking at firm profiles, I am pretty sure biglaw is with me on this one. On the other hand, if you want to be a barista at an independent coffee place, then long hair is ideal.
We can change biglaw together. Let your hair grow long! Cause I want to be a barrister.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”