Is a phone call a reliable way of offering a job? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gottago

Bronze

Is a phone call a reliable way of offering a job?

Post by gottago » Wed May 28, 2014 10:10 pm

I emailed a V75 partner I met 2 summers ago. He forwarded me to HR. I'm a 0L so this isn't through any formal 1L or 2L recruitment process.

This V75 rarely gets associates from the law school I'm going to so they apparently offered me a job right away.

First they emailed me saying that they look forward to me joining htem this summer.

Then when I asked them whether there's an additional interview process, they called me to let me know that I definitely got it and no interview is required.

I emailed them again asking for written confirmation. The HR Coordinator called me and told me they'll be sending I9/W4/confidentiality/etc. forms via fedex, and it should arrive in 2 days. But still no email or written form saying that I got it. I've never met them in person either. They just said to bring the packet on my first day.

On the other hand I've actually interviewed with a firm outside of the V100 and I met the HR people on two separate days. They didn't put anything in writing either but they told me in person that I got it and now I have to let them know tomorrow.

So do you think the phone call describing the "onboarding process" and asking for my address so they can send me the I9 packet etc is a good enough indicator that I got the summer gig?

Platinum

Re: Is a phone call a reliable way of offering a job?

Post by 2014 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Phone is only a good way to offer a V60 job, you should definitely seek email for V75 and probably a signed hand written letter for V76 and worse.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Wed May 28, 2014 10:14 pm

gottago wrote:I emailed a V75 partner I met 2 summers ago. He forwarded me to HR. I'm a 0L so this isn't through any formal 1L or 2L recruitment process.

This V75 rarely gets associates from the law school I'm going to so they apparently offered me a job right away.

First they emailed me saying that they look forward to me joining htem this summer.

Then when I asked them whether there's an additional interview process, they called me to let me know that I definitely got it and no interview is required.

I emailed them again asking for written confirmation. The HR Coordinator called me and told me they'll be sending I9/W4/confidentiality/etc. forms via fedex, and it should arrive in 2 days. But still no email or written form saying that I got it. I've never met them in person either. They just said to bring the packet on my first day.

On the other hand I've actually interviewed with a firm outside of the V100 and I met the HR people on two separate days. They didn't put anything in writing either but they told me in person that I got it and now I have to let them know tomorrow.

So do you think the phone call describing the "onboarding process" and asking for my address so they can send me the I9 packet etc is a good enough indicator that I got the summer gig?
Why do you want to work with people you've never met?

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Wed May 28, 2014 10:19 pm

I mean I've never "met" the HR people but I've "met" the partner for like 5 minutes 2 summers ago (although as part of a longer thing his firm hosted).

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Wed May 28, 2014 10:20 pm

the reason I brought up the V75 thing is that it's a respectable employer, not Lil Jimmy's PLLC.
2014 wrote:Phone is only a good way to offer a V60 job, you should definitely seek email for V75 and probably a signed hand written letter for V76 and worse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed May 28, 2014 10:34 pm

gottago wrote:the reason I brought up the V75 thing is that it's a respectable employer, not Lil Jimmy's PLLC.
2014 wrote:Phone is only a good way to offer a V60 job, you should definitely seek email for V75 and probably a signed hand written letter for V76 and worse.
LOL you're an asshole.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed May 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Did you ever find out what it pays

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 pm

yea they said ~$12 hourly, 9-5. gave me a start date. Flexible end date (as in we can talk about it later).

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Thu May 29, 2014 1:37 pm

so no need to wait for a written agreement before i sign the lease?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 29, 2014 2:03 pm

gottago wrote:the reason I brought up the V75 thing is that it's a respectable employer, not Lil Jimmy's PLLC.
gottago wrote:yea they said ~$12 hourly, 9-5. gave me a start date. Flexible end date (as in we can talk about it later).
ETA: double RC fail... assuming this is a 0L pre-law school summer gig now.

Tell them you're relying on their offer and turning down another one for it to set up your eventual estoppel claim.

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Thu May 29, 2014 2:18 pm

Yea 0l summer gig. I need to pay a housing deposit later today and turn down another 0l gig. So just accept their phone call as a reliable indicator?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Thu May 29, 2014 2:28 pm

gottago wrote:Yea 0l summer gig. I need to pay a housing deposit later today and turn down another 0l gig. So just accept their phone call as a reliable indicator?
I wouldn't.
Tell them you need verification for getting housing or something. It is probably that they don't care at all about 0L summer work, but try to get an email or something.
This is based on common sense, not legal advice.

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm

ok which of the advice ITT is just joking around and which are serious?

What eventual estoppel claim?

should I send this email?

Thank you for your call yesterday. The person who is subletting their room to me for the summer wants some sort of written communication that assures them that I have some source of income to pay for July and August.

Can you reply to this email saying that I'll be doing a summer internship there between June 9 and sometime in August and that the position is $12 hourly, as we discussed yesterday over the phone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Thu May 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Honestly, quit pestering them. It's pretty clear you are going to work there. Continuing to bother them about a written "confirmation" of a 0L job they don't care about isn't the best way to make an impression on people you've never met.

gottago

Bronze

Post by gottago » Thu May 29, 2014 7:07 pm

fml i left a voicemail saying basically what I wrote above.

I guess it doesn't matter now because I had to turn down the other job and sign a housing agreement, but do you think having left that email will end up fucking me?

A lot of people ITT and elsewhere were saying don't sign anything until you get it in writing.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu May 29, 2014 7:28 pm

LOL I didn't realize this was for some paralegal job.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 pm

gottago wrote:fml i left a voicemail saying basically what I wrote above.

I guess it doesn't matter now because I had to turn down the other job and sign a housing agreement, but do you think having left that email will end up fucking me?

A lot of people ITT and elsewhere were saying don't sign anything until you get it in writing.
You're fine, relax. You would be surprised just how little thought/care they've probably given to paying you $12/hr for a couple months. And you'll get the estoppel joke next year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sat May 31, 2014 11:53 am

Cobretti wrote:
gottago wrote:fml i left a voicemail saying basically what I wrote above.

You're fine, relax. You would be surprised just how little thought/care they've probably given to paying you $12/hr for a couple months. And you'll get the estoppel joke next year.
You clearly haven't seen him post if you think he'll relax.

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Sat May 31, 2014 12:57 pm

BUT DOES THE MAILBOX RULE APPLY IF IT'S FEDEX?

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Sat May 31, 2014 1:25 pm

a couple bucks above minimum wage. so prestigious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”